Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

50,000 to invest

• 04-04-2021 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, we have around 50,000 that we would like to put somewhere safe. Don't really need anything with it at min, no need for pension etc. Not necessarily to take a big gamble or get a big return but maybe a 10yr plan that'll be better than sitting in bank. No experience of investing or anything, maybe a little afraid. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

State savings 10yr bond or prizebonds

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭spuddy

winning21 wrote: »
    Hi, we have around 50,000 that we would like to put somewhere safe. Don't really need anything with it at min, no need for pension etc. Not necessarily to take a big gamble or get a big return but maybe a 10yr plan that'll be better than sitting in bank. No experience of investing or anything, maybe a little afraid. Any advice?

Do you have a mortgage and / or pensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 winning21

No mortgage, 2 public sector workers so will have full pension hopefully and also have some AVCs contributed towards. Also have a fund for kids college taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Following this as I have 270k to put somewhere for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭spuddy

winning21 wrote: »
    No mortgage, 2 public sector workers so will have full pension hopefully and also have some AVCs contributed towards. Also have a fund for kids college taken care of.

Great position to be in. If you've no debt, fully funded pensions, no other investment experience, & you don't want to leave the money in the bank, I'd strongly recommend you get professional advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah talk to a broker to get some options. A low cost index fund would be my preference, just track the market without thinking too much about it. Spread it across some continets to reduce the risk of any one country going belly up.

Whatever broker you go to, you need to ask him:
    1. Of the 50,000 you're giving him, how much goes to your fund (ie after government 1% levy, brokers charges etc, try to get 100%).
    2. How much management charges will the company minding my money take each year (make sure it's less than 1%).

Advertisement