Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indian restaurants in the city?

• 29-03-2021 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭

A random request but what's the best Indian in town? I've found great Thai most places but the Indian restaurants/takeaways are not at the same level. I've tried Eastern, Tulsi, Kashmir, Kumar's, Curry & Spice and Falguni. All decent apart from C&S, but the beest I've had was Spiced Barna. Am I missing stuff in town? Any recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from Ethnic Shops thread.

Imo, Kashmir or Santoor, Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think you nailed it. Spiced Barna is the best we've found and we order once takeaway from there once a month.

A lot of the ones in town are very similar. We used to order frequently from Eastern and I always liked their prawn Dupiaza until our order came with only 3 shrimp. In pre-lockdown times in person I always liked Kumar's for atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Spiced is open in salthill and is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I think you nailed it. Spiced Barna is the best we've found and we order once takeaway from there once a month.

A lot of the ones in town are very similar. We used to order frequently from Eastern and I always liked their prawn Dupiaza until our order came with only 3 shrimp. In pre-lockdown times in person I always liked Kumar's for atmosphere.

Agreed. Welcoming and cosy. I find Tulsi very friendly also and they were great with my toddler, counts for a lot.

smurf492 wrote: »
    Spiced is open in Salthill and is very good

Same owners? I'd seen it listed but wasn't sure.
    If so that's great news as Barna is 3km beyond our limit. Allowable for food I assume but Salthill way better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Seathrun66 wrote:
    Same owners? I'd seen it listed but wasn't sure. If so that's great news as Barna is 3km beyond our limit. Allowable for food I assume but Salthill way better.

Food identical to barna so I'd say so... Logos and all the same

Thanks, that's great news to start the week. This week's big takeaway sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joejopper

Just out of ‘the city’ but Oran Tandori in Oranmore is the best IMO.

Very friendly staff and food always a winner

Joejopper wrote: »
    Just out of ‘the city’ but Oran Tandori in Oranmore is the best IMO.

Very friendly staff and food always a winner

Always heard good reports on that but I think that's one for the Summer, if I'm lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Funnily enough I find Curry&Spice much nicer than many of the others around. The chicken quality I got from Galway Tandoori turned me off Indian food for a good few months about a year back.

• Advertisement

Got a takeaway from Spiced Barna yesterday. Excellent again. Their jumbo prawns are superb. I'll eventually try Spiced Salthill but I'm wary of it not being quite as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Wouldn't surprise me if it takes a little while for the new operation to match the original but I'm sure that's the goal. I wonder do people rally behind a particular Papa Rich or would you feel confidently order your favourite from any of them?

I was a little surprised when Spiced opened in Salthill vs the other side of town. It seems like Barna could effectively service Knocknacarra / Salthill whereas an east side location would better expand their reach to the rest of the city. But maybe the 2 kitchens being convenient to each other was a factor.

Wouldn't surprise me if it takes a little while for the new operation to match the original but I'm sure that's the goal. I wonder do people rally behind a particular Papa Rich or would you feel confidently order your favourite from any of them?

I was a little surprised when Spiced opened in Salthill vs the other side of town. It seems like Barna could effectively service Knocknacarra / Salthill whereas an east side location would better expand their reach to the rest of the city. But maybe the 2 kitchens being convenient to each other was a factor.

I agree, but maybe it's easier for staff and management. All or most of them may be based on this side of the river. The Salthill unit can also do the centre of town, Newcastle, Terryland, etc.

And a good point re Papa Rich, there are probably little differences based on the individual chefs but I've never noticed much. The one above Born my fave for the view and staff are always friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The one above Born my fave for the view and staff are always friendly.

It is a fantastic, very few places in Galway City can beat it really. Whoever designed Jurys back in the day - really missed a trick.

Advertisement