Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second thoughts on Job Offer which I accepted

• 04-04-2021 1:25pm

Hi all, I hope you can give some advise,

Whats your thoughts on turning down a job offer you verbally accepted.

I know this will appear bad to my prospective new employer. But I fell like im leaving current work with unfinished projects that im working on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Have you signed anything? If not, there's generally no hard feelings. Most new hires are on probation anyway for the first while and it's 50/50 whether they work out.

The question is "why did you go to the hassle if you weren't going to follow through?" - unless your current employer is matching your new package?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

I know this will appear bad to my prospective new employer. But I fell like im leaving current work with unfinished projects that im working on.

You will always have unfinished jobs. Do you think you are trying to make excuses for not leaving your comfort zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

A few questions for you...
    You're thinking of not taking the new job because you feel responsible for these projects?
    What level are you at in the current company?
    How long have you been there? The reason I ask is potential redundancy.

Either way, you'll be looking soon enough anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

Think you should ask yourself why you went to those interviews and why you wanted to leave in the first place. Unless something major has changed at work since and there's a serious opportunity to advance your career I would leave.
    Not sure if you're scared of the new job or scared things won't work out but that's normal.
    Not leaving a job you want to leave because of unfinished projects isn't a good reason, let someone else take your spot and do the job you no longer want

• Registered Users Posts: 24,803 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You don’t owe your current employer jack, aside from whatever notice is in your contract, why are you worried about .... unfinished projects ? They simply will have to hire your replacement, train them and have them do it... or delegate it to somebody else.

When it’s time for you to retire, whatever job you are doing are you going to not retire if you have an unfinished project ?

If you have turned down or will turn down a job having been offered it, 99% certain you won’t be considered for a position in that company again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don’t worry about your old job. They’ll cope. You are very much replaceable.

Move on and progress

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Ask yourself this:

Would your current employer wait until you've paid off your debts before firing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,803 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You are leaving/changing employer, not the wife. As I said the only thing you owe them really is that you work your notice... they’d be rid of you in an absolute heartbeat if it suited them to do so... so work your notice, leave.. the responsibility to ensure work that you have started is complete is on your employer. Don’t be worrying about it.

Advertisement