Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

533m Facebook users' data leaked. The Irish file has 1,449,921 names / numbers etc.

• 04-04-2021 9:04am

533 million Facebook users' phone numbers and personal data have been leaked online

It's relatively easy to get the files, so I had a look, and have verified that a bunch of my friends and cousins come up in the Irish file and the numbers match what I have in my phone.

Below is a fake entry I've created that shows how the data looks. Most profiles don't have as much, but all have a name and number. Thankfully only some accounts show emails, and there are no dates of birth.

353871234567:1231565165116551651615:firstName:lastName:male:Drogheda, Ireland:Drogheda, Ireland:In a relationship:Tesco:5/78/2099 12:00:00 AM::

Heads should roll.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

533 million Facebook users' phone numbers and personal data have been leaked online

It's relatively easy to get the files, so I had a look, and have verified that a bunch of my friends and cousins come up in the Irish file and the numbers match what I have in my phone.

Below is a fake entry I've created that shows how the data looks. Most profiles don't have as much, but all have a name and number.

353871234567:1231565165116551651615:firstName:lastName:male:Drogheda, Ireland:Drogheda, Ireland:In a relationship:Tesco:5/78/2099 12:00:00 AM::

Heads should roll.

Facebook has become too powerful! It is too useful a propaganda tool for certain autocratic regimens

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I’d be more concerned if you assumed anything you gave to Facebook was safe in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Jim Root wrote: »
    I’d be more concerned if you assumed anything you gave to Facebook was safe in the first place

Their stock price has gained a few points today. Obviously, the investors aren’t overly concerned about the leak. That worries me most

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

This is not news, it's in relation to the 2019 hack, as mentioned in that article /thread

mrcheez wrote: »
    This is not news, it's in relation to the 2019 hack, as mentioned in that article /thread

It is news because it just got leaked publicly for all to see. It was for sale on the dark web before.

48k upvotes and thousands of comments on Reddit about it. Tonnes of posts about it on Twitter. "This is not news"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

BettyS wrote: »
    Their stock price has gained a few points today. Obviously, the investors aren’t overly concerned about the leak. That worries me most

Markets are closed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Below is a fake entry I've created that shows how the data looks. Most profiles don't have as much, but all have a name and number. Thankfully only some accounts show emails, and there are no dates of birth.

Heads should roll.

Ah look, I know your example is fake, but if that person had their details stolen, it would likely pale in comparison to other worries in their life.

Imagine having to live in Drogheda for feck sake.

On a serious note, where do you go looking for these files? Just to check what is there or not there? I am aware of the haveibeenpwned website or whatever it is. Are you downloading the files or using a similar site to search indirectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think that anyone who would be concerned about this data leak aren't actually using Facebook.

Some of the stuff people post and share publicly online is far more damning about them and their opinions.

Ah look, I know your example is fake, but if that person had their details stolen, it would likely pale in comparison to other worries in their life.

On a serious note, where do you go looking for these files? Just to check what is there or not there? I am aware of the haveibeenpwned website or whatever it is. Are you downloading the files or using a similar site to search indirectly?

https://cybernews.com/personal-data-leak-check/

I had a look on this website..
    Just put in your email address.
    Interesting my husbands email isn't there, he has FB, and an old email I used to have a FB with was..

https://pastebin.com/xKnyZC8C

Those websites are based on email addresses. This FB thing is names, locations, jobs, and phone numbers, with only a small amount of emails leaked, so it wouldn't show up that your data has been leaked.

It's a pretty big percentage of the population whose had some of that data exposed.

• Advertisement

https://pastebin.com/xKnyZC8C

Those websites are based on email addresses. This FB thing is names, locations, jobs, and phone numbers.

Link is removed

Interesting my husbands email isn't there, he has FB, and an old email I used to have a FB with was..

Maybe he uses throwaway emails for his FB accounts :P

Link is removed

Sorry, I just copied it from my history. You'll find it on Reddit or Twitter or something, I guess.

Maybe he uses throwaway emails for his FB accounts :P

I have to remind him what his bank password is..
    Even though its our anniversary, and I tell him its our anniversary haha .. I think I'm safe..
    Just about remembers his DOB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Even though its our anniversary, and I tell him its our anniversary haha .. I think I'm safe..

Maybe he doesn't remember your wedding day as fondly as you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

heffsarmy wrote: »

Thanks. The source I found earlier didn't have the Vietnam one. Just checked and my details aren't leaked in it.

Well it was just a joke. But I'd say there might be some out there who might have a fake facebook under a fake name, but their real mobile number, who might be facing some awkward questions along the line of "why did you always say you didn't have a facebook when you have an account under a fake name"

Most of that info looks like info that would be publicly on your profile anyway?

Most of that info looks like info that would be publicly on your profile anyway?

I presume except the phone number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id imagine having someones name and phone number could be useful for scammers, knowing peoples names for a text or call scam might put many off guard that its a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

BettyS wrote: »

Well they probably think whichever companies would want the data has paid them for it already.

Just no take-backsies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The info Facebook used to charge for is now free.

I hope the site goes the way of Bebo, MySpace etc. They have way too much sway in current matters.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 RoseStick

Where can I see if my details were leaked. I need to know. Thanks. I clicked on some of these links but it didn't lead me anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭jmcc

biko wrote: »

I hope the site goes the way of Bebo, MySpace etc. They have way too much sway in current matters.
    It is a bit more complex than that. Facebook has effectively created a set of addicts. Bebo and MySpace were never quite in the same league in terms of (ab)using data.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

What’s interesting is the data file size for each country per population

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The idea that almost anything you ever put on facebook was not going to be public at some point is laughable. If you wouldnt be happy with it on a billboard , don't put it on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Thanks. The source I found earlier didn't have the Vietnam one. Just checked and my details aren't leaked in it.

Don't worry.The boys in green will have all the details they need about you.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

Well that's simply not true. They sell advertising space on your feed etc. based on criteria they know about you.

If you go to https://adssettings.google.com, you can see what I know about you. Those are the things advertisers can click and then you'll see the ads.

Advertisement