Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mandalorian Question

• 19-11-2020 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I didn't want to go into the main thread in case there were spoilers but I'm intrigued by the Mandalorian I adverts I've seen lately

I know very little about the Star Wars universe and I was wondering if I would need to know much about it in order to watch it or enjoy it?

Comments

Hi everyone,

I didn't want to go into the main thread in case there were spoilers but I'm intrigued by the Mandalorian I adverts I've seen lately

I know very little about the Star Wars universe and I was wondering if I would need to know much about it in order to watch it or enjoy it?

Nope, just start on season one and away you go. It is linked to the clone wars and rebels TV shows but not enough to make it unwatchable if you haven't seen them. It's very much its own story

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It does also make reference to the movies but not enough to make it unwatchable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Ah cool, thanks guys - I've only ever seen one SW film but it was over ten years ago

I know most of the common pop culture knowledge about SW - who is who's father etc etc, just wanted to make sure there wasn't any detailed knowledge of the universe I would need to know to follow it

Thanks again - I'll definitely give it a go

Mods, feel free to lock this if ye want as my question has been answered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Hi everyone,

Have you watched the show? If so what did you think?

I’m assuming you Disney+? Has the show made you want to see the movies?

Have you watched the show? If so what did you think?

I’m assuming you Disney+? Has the show made you want to see the movies?

So I'm going to be honest with you; I totally forgot about it (was halfway through Justified and looking for something to follow up afterwards)

But your post reminded me and I watched the first two episodes last night, going well so far - very enjoyable

• Advertisement

Meant to come back to this

Finished it about a month ago and loved it

I'm sure there's loads of references to other stuff I missed but overall, as an outsider so to speak, I thought it was really good.

I'm not sure where it can go now that a certain character has left and I got very confused when that person turned up at the end. I do know who it was, just not looking to spoil for anyone who pops in, but I thought it was well after his time so the timeline threw me a bit.

But I'll be patently waiting for the next season.

I don't think it will be any worse off for Carano's departure - she was ok in it but by no means a stand out character

Any ideas on what I should watch next?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hrmmmm.. there's a lot of options.. and I'd guess it depends on a few things. Like ...
    I've only ever seen one SW film but it was over ten years ago

What was the film you saw and do you remember it all that well?

What type of show interests you?
    Are you open to animated series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I wouldn't be that interested in Star Wars but I really enjoyed this. It has its own stories and characters that it develops quite well.

I watched it a few months ago now so I can't remember, is it suitable for kids? My nephew is 8 and really wants to watch it... I can't help but feel like it's a bit violent.

Can't really say with expertise on a kids rating. There's a website called Common Sense Media who try to classify shows/films like that.

They have The Mandalorian on it:
    https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-reviews/the-mandalorian
    Common Sense says age 10+
    Sci-fi violence, real magic in small-screen Star Wars show.

Parents say
    age 11+
    Based on 25 reviews

Kids say
    age 10+
    Based on 85 reviews

I wouldn't be that interested in Star Wars but I really enjoyed this. It has its own stories and characters that it develops quite well.

I watched it a few months ago now so I can't remember, is it suitable for kids? My nephew is 8 and really wants to watch it... I can't help but feel like it's a bit violent.

It's not very violent, a few creatures/monsters that young kids might find scary

There's fight scenes but I wouldn't say they were violent or graphic - in fact I don't think there's any blood spilled, just the odd character might have cuts and bruises after some scenes

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    Hrmmmm.. there's a lot of options.. and I'd guess it depends on a few things. Like ...

What was the film you saw and do you remember it all that well?

What type of show interests you?
    Are you open to animated series?

I can't remember much about the film I did see, I know it was one of the first trilogy with young Luke Skywalker but now that I think about it it was probably closer to twenty years ago when I saw it

Something with a bit of a steel like The Mandalorion, and I'd be open to animation as long as it's not too childish - not sure if that's any help?

Probably then ones you might like would be the Animated show The Clone Wars (7 seasons, some episodes you might rather leave than take) and the film Rogue One (this is great)..

but they rely on a little (not a lot) of knowledge from beforehand and it sounds like it was Episode I you saw.

To get to Clone Wars (tv show), you could probably do these films (some might be more cheesier than you'd like):
    - Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    - Episode II - Attack of The Clones
    - Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
    - The Clone Wars (animated film.. not to be confused with the animated tv series this is leading to)
    Then jump into the Clone Wars (tv show)

If you get through those, then you'd have enough background for Rogue One

I can't remember much about the film I did see, I know it was one of the first trilogy with young Luke Skywalker but now that I think about it it was probably closer to twenty years ago when I saw it

Something with a bit of a steel like The Mandalorion, and I'd be open to animation as long as it's not too childish - not sure if that's any help?

The Clone Wars animated series is fantastic.

Many people don’t like the early seasons and find the character of Ashoka to be grating. I love the early seasons but without a doubt it was a show that got better as it went on. Some of the stories are spectacular.

Ashoka is a bit of a pain early on but grows up into a great character.

There are definitely moments were it gets quite violent.
    The Armourer and Boba Fett
    give brutal death to
    a few stormtroopers.

The movies can get violent too but I cannot say if it is the same.

I have no advice about whether it is it is suitable for your nephew or any other child. I always ask my sister if there there is the slightest doubt in my mind. :)

Meant to come back to this

Finished it about a month ago and loved it

I'm sure there's loads of references to other stuff I missed but overall, as an outsider so to speak, I thought it was really good.

I'm not sure where it can go now that a certain character has left and I got very confused when that person turned up at the end. I do know who it was, just not looking to spoil for anyone who pops in, but I thought it was well after his time so the timeline threw me a bit.

But I'll be patently waiting for the next season.

I don't think it will be any worse off for Carano's departure - she was ok in it but by no means a stand out character

The show is set six/seven years after Return of the Jedi. Making it about none but years after the film you saw - assuming that film was the original Star Wars.

Are you tempted to watch the movies?

Slydice wrote: »
    Probably then ones you might like would be the Animated show The Clone Wars (7 seasons, some episodes you might rather leave than take) and the film Rogue One (this is great)..

but they rely on a little (not a lot) of knowledge from beforehand and it sounds like it was Episode I you saw.

To get to Clone Wars (tv show), you could probably do these films (some might be more cheesier than you'd like):
    - Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    - Episode II - Attack of The Clones
    - Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
    - The Clone Wars (animated film.. not to be confused with the animated tv series this is leading to)
    Then jump into the Clone Wars (tv show)

If you get through those, then you'd have enough background for Rogue One

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll probably dive in at some point and slowly work my way through them - I'm familiar with the overall storyline of I to III, a "chosen one who betrays them all" but I'll still watch them all to gain the background knowledge.

Clone Wars and Rogue One I haven't heard of and know nothing about so once I slog through I to III it will be more in the realm of getting a nice surprise from the storylines

The one I saw was definitely one of three first released ones - IV to VI, but I haven't a clue which one it was, I can't remember anything significant from it I'm afraid

Advertisement