Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WWE Network Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Who is deciding what is offensive anyway? What's the criteria? Will all Hulk Hogan stuff be erased? What about Nick Dinsmore playing Eugene? Will it just be blackface stuff that's erased? If so, why?

What if I'm offended by the jokes about Shawn Michaels' receding hair line? Maybe I found that traumatic. Why should I have to listen to that hateful talk as a bald man?

What about Mike Tyson at Mania 14? After all, the man is a rapist. Why should survivors of sexual assault have to see that when watching WWE on Peacock?

My point is, you can't erase all offensive content. It's impossible. There'll always be someone offended by something.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sirmanga wrote: »
    My point is, you can't erase all offensive content. It's impossible. There'll always be someone offended by something.

This is true. Most of the current product offends all of my 5 senses.

Loughc wrote: »

Whenever WWE buys AEW I'm going to be lobbying Peacock to remove Young Bucks content due to the offence caused by their rubbish matches and selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Who is deciding what is offensive anyway? What's the criteria? Will all Hulk Hogan stuff be erased? What about Nick Dinsmore playing Eugene? Will it just be blackface stuff that's erased? If so, why?

What if I'm offended by the jokes about Shawn Michaels' receding hair line? Maybe I found that traumatic. Why should I have to listen to that hateful talk as a bald man?

What about Mike Tyson at Mania 14? After all, the man is a rapist. Why should survivors of sexual assault have to see that when watching WWE on Peacock?

You can be offended by all of those things. But it'll be things like racism, homophobia and sexism I'd imagine that will be the ones that are scrubbed.

Whenever WWE buys AEW I'm going to be lobbying Peacock to remove Young Bucks content due to the offence caused by their rubbish matches and selling.

Swear some day we're gonna jump into what people think selling actually is and we're gonna work it out once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ha! That’s funny Loughc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I just don't understand this erasing stuff. Why? In case it offends someone? Big deal. Being offended is part of the risk of being alive.

All these things are part of wrestling history. And they should be viewed in the context of history.

It's just funny that nobody is demanding they remove footage of a double murderer using a hold which he also used to kill his 7 year old son in real life. But a fake Scot painting his face black is where some people draw the line?

They are still part of wrestling history. These companies just don't want to broadcast them at the risk of offending people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Content that could be considered racially insensitive appears to be what Peacock, and other streaming services, are eliminating. Netflix has removed episodes of certain shows for the same reason, amongst other platforms. It's just a hot button topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1061692124317471

Wasn't expecting that, Chris Jericho the latest guest on the Stone cold podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1061692124317471

Wasn't expecting that, Chris Jericho the latest guest on the Stone cold podcast

That should be interesting

https://twitter.com/WWENetwork/status/1378014457469763584

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And on Mania weekend

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

WWE opening the forbidden door :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Probably be a standard fluff interview, would've been better off on Austin's podcast where it could've been a no holds barred chat.

How much control does Austin actually have over Broken Skull Sessions?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Probably be a standard fluff interview, would've been better off on Austin's podcast where it could've been a no holds barred chat.

Should draw a big audience on peacock for them as everyone will be interested if they mention AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Should draw a big audience on peacock for them as everyone will be interested if they mention AEW.

Assuming they do mention AEW.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sirmanga wrote:
    It's just funny that nobody is demanding they remove footage of a double murderer using a hold which he also used to kill his 7 year old son in real life. But a fake Scot painting his face black is where some people draw the line?

Tbh, I can't watch Benoit anymore anyways so if he got removed from the Network it would make no earthly difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

"So Chris, how's retirement going?"

• People waiting for a big discussion on AEW will be disappointed I think.

I'd say it'll be this towards the end of the interview..

Austin - "What are you up to these days, Chris?"

Jericho - "I'm still wrestling these days, Steve"

Austin - "That's cool man. Anyway thanks for being my guest on the broken skull sessions"

Assuming they do mention AEW.

That’s why I said if. But that’s the controversy element they will use to hook people in. It’s a clever move on all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Jericho showing he's the cutest fcuker in the business yet again. Still keeping WWE sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Jericho showing he's the cutest fcuker in the business yet again. Still keeping WWE sweet.

Hes been criticising WWE at times, but always says hes still on good terms with Vince.

Im curious how the deal came about.

Realisticly its a win win situation. Gets eyes on WWEs show, it doenst affect AEW in anyway I can see. Its not like Jericho is turning up in NXT while a AEW show is airing.

Im surprised at WWE.... they usually like to erase talent that work with a rival... esp one so instrumental in AEWs success. Why the change? Who organised it, who greenlight it?

I imagine it will not mention AEW in the slightest though

See Austins own pod doesnt make it controversial.

An AEW talent on a WWE show is unprecedented. Its the hook. We are all curious to see how WWE handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

HOF next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    HOF next year?

I don't know but it's a given he'll be there one day and doing TV appearances. He's a smarter version of Flair.

This just goes to show how little of a threat Vince thinks AEW poses.

Besides, any WWE fans who don't watch AEW are hardly gonna be inspired to upon watching this interview when they see a haggard, over the hill, overweight guy who used to be a big star for WWE. It'd be like a former Man United player being interviewed on MUTV talking about how great it is to be playing in the league in Qatar for 500,000 a week.

Which is what AEW is, basically. A league that hardly anyone watches, with massive money behind it, being run by a giddy mark who is willing to shell out money for over the hill former premier league stars, and whose home grown talent is subpar to put it kindly.

This just goes to show how little of a threat Vince views AEW.

Besides, any WWE fans who don't watch AEW are hardly gonna be inspired to upon watching this interview when they see a haggard, over the hill, overweight guy who used to be a big star for WWE. It'd be like a former Man United player being interviewed on MUTV talking about how great it is to be playing in the league in Qatar for 500,000 a week.
    Which is what AEW is, basically. A league with massive money behind it being run by a giddy mark who is willing to shell out money for over the hill former premier league stars, and whose home grown talent is subpar to put it kindly.

Kenny Omega as subpar. Jesus wept.

tumblr_owwyq2HFJh1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

tumblr_owwyq2HFJh1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

:D no stop that!

Which is what AEW is, basically. A league that hardly anyone watches, with massive money behind it, being run by a giddy mark who is willing to shell out money for over the hill former premier league stars, and whose home grown talent is subpar to put it kindly.

I get what you are trying to say, i believe your comparisons dont fit.

WWE certainly feel AEW is a threat. Maybe not an immediate threat but its certainly got their attention.

They wouldn't go two hours on NXT when AEW Dynamite debuted otherwise.

The counter booking on NXT suggests they are worried.

The move from Wednesday to Tuesday nights.

Again maybe not an immediate threat but they certainly are feeling a little worried.

AEW is miles off being the brand WWE is, but are slowly growing and doing probably better than most expected in tehir first 2 years especially with a Pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hey now, Britt Baker is pretty good.

Advertisement