Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boards.ie Explainer: FTTH and You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Cyrus wrote: »
    I’d call again you obviously got the village idiot , if you have ftth you get the advertised speeds in the main, that’s so far off that there is something clearly wrong .

Have you tried other devices to be sure it’s not an issue with the laptop ?
    I did
    same speed
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Symm up/down is very suspicious.

Change the cable.
    Are they all Dells? If so thank Dell for your issues (remove Smartbyte).
    Are you running any AV (Other than Defender) - if so uninstall it temporarily.

ED E wrote: »
    Symm up/down is very suspicious.

Change the cable.
    Are they all Dells? If so thank Dell for your issues (remove Smartbyte).
    Are you running any AV (Other than Defender) - if so uninstall it temporarily.
    Thank you
    The cable is supplied by eir, I don't know what is Smartbyte "I don't see it in my computer"
    If I turn off McAfee AV and McAfee firewall for 15 min will that do?

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Thank you
    The cable is supplied by eir, I don't know what is Smartbyte "I don't see it in my computer"
    If I turn off McAfee AV and McAfee firewall for 15 min will that do?

Try a different cable it's suspiciously like it's limited to 100mbit could be the cable. Are you certain the laptop has a gigabit Ethernet port?

"Solved: Beware of SmartByte - Dell Community" https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-Internet-Bluetooth/Beware-of-SmartByte/td-p/6130892

Try a different cable it's suspiciously like it's limited to 100mbit could be the cable. Are you certain the laptop has a gigabit Ethernet port?

"Solved: Beware of SmartByte - Dell Community" https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-Internet-Bluetooth/Beware-of-SmartByte/td-p/6130892
    Yes it has

• Advertisement

Yes it has

Check the status of your Ethernet adapter in network connections, does it say speed: 1.0 gigabit?

Check the status of your Ethernet adapter in network connections, does it say speed: 1.0 gigabit?
    Yes it does

Yes it does

Try a different cable and if it's a Dell remove smartbyte which comes through Dell updates and will reinstall itself unless disabled

Yeah, disabling the McAfee Firewall may be enough, sometimes just having the virtual adapter/SPI process installed is a problem. Try it though.

Even if the link is "at" 1Gbps crap cable can present as low speeds. Always try a second. The fact that its the same both ways is typical of poor cabling (or other cabling issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, disabling the McAfee Firewall may be enough, sometimes just having the virtual adapter/SPI process installed is a problem. Try it though.

Even if the link is "at" 1Gbps crap cable can present as low speeds. Always try a second. The fact that its the same both ways is typical of poor cabling (or other cabling issues).

Surely even wifi would perform faster then 68meg as I assume it will be an AC modem at the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Run a fast.com speed test and maybe try switch server in the SpeedTest

I tried new cables but still the same
    I don't know

alan4cult wrote: »
    Run a fast.com
    I did
    Same speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Some laptops especially low end and just only a few years old may have network adapters are only limited to 100mps. Higher end and more modern laptops and desktops have up to 1000mps adapters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Could anyone direct me to a guide to the differences between a SIRO install and a National Broadband Ireland install?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Could anyone direct me to a guide to the differences between a SIRO install and a National Broadband Ireland install?

I don't know of anyone who is presently connected to NBI fibre.
    Lots of preparatory work going on but connections?
    2ND FEBRUARY 2021
    NBI Connects First Premises In Cavan Under the National Broadband Plan
    We are delighted to be able to say that we have now commenced our first connections in County Cavan, which will enable users to experience the life-changing benefits that high-speed broadband provides.
    22nd January 2021
    NBI connects the first premises under the National Broadband Plan
    First premises in Carrigaline successfully connected by National Broadband Ireland

https://nbi.ie/news/updates/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

SIRO uses the electricity infrastructure, so an NBI install will have more in common with an open eir install.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

The joys of living in the country,bthe fibre line comes about 500m up our road and stops about 200m from my house, courtly dealing with Vodafone mobile BB 6mb/10mb.
    I have being on the roof to see can I see my neighbors house but there's a small forest in the way☹️
    Have being getting to the jobs that never got done over the lock down,
    I have fibre cable ran from the eir poll at the road to the comsroom in the attic, it's a bungalow will be fully floored.
    Will the ISP terminates the fiber in the attic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The joys of living in the country,bthe fibre line comes about 500m up our road and stops about 200m from my house, courtly dealing with Vodafone mobile BB 6mb/10mb.
    I have being on the roof to see can I see my neighbors house but there's a small forest in the way☹️
    Have being getting to the jobs that never got done over the lock down,
    I have fibre cable ran from the eir poll at the road to the comsroom in the attic, it's a bungalow will be fully floored.
    Will the ISP terminates the fiber in the attic?

More importantly, will the fibre come to your house? Have any isp's told you they're going to connect you to their service?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

CoBo55 wrote: »
    More importantly, will the fibre come to your house? Have any isp's told you they're going to connect you to their service?

No nothing yet I presume I will be on the nbi.
    This is what I get on the nbi site
    "Your premises is included in the Intervention Area."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

Sorry if this question is already answered above, I could not find it.

I have a standard eir copper wire, and in the house are several extension including a carephone that needs PSTN.

If I switch to a FTTH connection, is there any way to keep the internal connections running over PSTN?

Thanks
    Lin

lostinNaas wrote: »
    Sorry if this question is already answered above, I could not find it.

I have a standard eir copper wire, and in the house are several extension including a carephone that needs PSTN.

If I switch to a FTTH connection, is there any way to keep the internal connections running over PSTN?

Thanks
    Lin

When I got fibre installed initially I retained the copper landline alongside fibre (at no extra cost). I have since ported my landline number to the fibre connection. My initial fibre connection was through Eir.

So, yes it is (or was) possible to retain the copper line active.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

Johnboy
    Thanks, I did not think of that option, I assumed the copper line would be replaced.
    I am looking at switching to Vodafone, so I will ask if they can sell a bundle of FTTH for BB, and keep the PSTN line for their phone package.
    Lin

Johnboy
    Thanks, I did not think of that option, I assumed the copper line would be replaced.
    I am looking at switching to Vodafone, so I will ask if they can sell a bundle of FTTH for BB, and keep the PSTN line for their phone package.
    Lin

I would phrase the question differently .......

Can the provider supply a fibre connection while retaining the copper landline connection at no extra cost for the copper line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Good luck explaining that to the "brilliant" VF staff... when you get sick of hopping your head off the wall maybe ring Pure or Digiweb etc where staff have some actual knowledge and can come off the script.

Yeah, I would avoid Eir VF and Sky for that request. Theyre all likely to make a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Vodafone won't let you retain the copper line. It's an extra cost to them, so they've been moving all of their customers gradually to VoIP.

/M

When you're talking to potential FTTH suppliers, tell them you're looking for "POTS-based FTTH". If they don't know what that is, talk to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Vodafone typically always drop the pstn whether it be copper based VDSL or ftth. They can sell you with the copper line intact. Best thing you can do is tell them you run a fax machine and a phonewatch alarm and a carephone line that cannot be virtualised.
    They reasonably should expect to get their arse handed to them if someone croaks it and the ambulance never got the message due to a providers lack of care.
    When the engineer calls ask him does he have an order for an 8882 prefix or a phone number on the order!
    All fibre lines are an 8882 prefix all standalone copper vdsl based broadband are 8881 or 8883 for ADSL.
    Additionally make sure the provider make note of the uan number I've heard of people getting their number lost in the switchover.
    It goes something like this from what they told me.
    Provider doesn't take uan number customer tells them their landline number and says they want ftth with pstn provider generates an order for pstn and sends someone out to install a phone number that's different and then another person to install the ftth.
    or it goes like this they digitally switch the person's number over to a new number after the engineer signs off the ftth order and the customer starts ringing for the old number back to be told it's in use with another provider and cannot be switched over or its lost.
    All because it's on another uan on an account with another provider.

• Advertisement

In this particular case, again: it's important to make sure you get POTS-based FTTH. That's the actual open eir terminology for the product you're looking for. babi-hrse is correct that if you're being given an 8882 number, you're getting standalone FTTH, which is not what you want.

In general terms, if a provider ever tells you that they can't port your existing phone number, complain to ComReg. You have a god-given right to keep your number.

Advertisement