Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So.. I've bought a boat !

• 31-03-2021 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I bought a boat. Not any old boat, this boat was a "small dream", something myself and my dad was going to fix up and sail around the great south west inshores catching the most magnificent fish ever.

I fast forward you 2 years and that dream is now just mine. Sadly, my dad passed away a couple of months just after us buying the boat and its been left under cover to "all season" it out while my motivation and life took a different path.

I now have a big choice to make. With zero experience, little time and even less good weather I am about to pull off that tarp and tackle what I expect to be a monster of a job. My wingman has gone and with him all of the practical experience of just "stuff" he seemed to have endless knowledge of.

Wish me luck, I think its going to be an emotional one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry to hear the major Change in both your plans. I'm sure be will be with you there in spirit. And best of luck with the plans. Big task but no doubt you will get alot of personal value out of the process even before the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’m very sorry to hear about your Dad passing. I hope you get the boat on the water and still get to live all those dreams with him alongside you in spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dansey

Thanks guys. I shall get some photos up as soon as the 24 hour new account restrictions lift.

Could do with someone just confirming the identity of the boat and will take it as it comes. I already know the floor has gone as its soft and the trailer is in need of some attention. I plan to fully strip it out and start with what is left.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Loads of good videos on YouTube that will you and then there's always fergal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭Alkers

Fair play for having a go anyway!

What kind of boat is it, size etc? Where did you pick it up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

You are going to have a ball with her, the weather is just getting good for that now. Ask around the people you know and somebody might know somebody who has knowledge of it. You're right, it is much easier with the wisdom of our forefathers but no doubt you'll be that person to somebody someday. Well done on your bravery.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

Sorry to hear about your Dad
    Hope you get to finish the boat and sail off into the sunset with many memories

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Dansey wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I shall get some photos up as soon as the 24 hour new account restrictions lift.

Could do with someone just confirming the identity of the boat and will take it as it comes. I already know the floor has gone as its soft and the trailer is in need of some attention. I plan to fully strip it out and start with what is left.

You might need 50 posts before you can post a photo so if you like you can message me the photo and I will put it up for you, I built my first boat just after my Dad passed I found it great therapy and I named it after him. We will all try to help you for fill your dream and point you in the right direction, boat projects can be very overwhelming so just take it one step at a time and maybe learn something new each day. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

So here she is :) great sea boat, I don't think you will have any problem getting her ship shape. Although your Dad never got to finish her I'm sure the ideas were flying around in his head of what he was going to do keeping his mind off what may have been going on in his life and that can only be a good thing.

boat.jpg

Fergal, thanks a million ! This was the push I needed. Getting the boat and story public and committing has already done me a world of good.

• Advertisement

Looks like your off to a good start this is to be expected in most boat restorations so don't be too worried also worth checking the wood in the transom.

Posted on behalf of Dansey.

Today lets call it (Day 1) the floor ! Oh my, the floor had to go. Its now I realise how much work may need to go into getting this sorted out.

Floor-1.jpg

Floor-2.jpg

Floor-3.jpg

Day 2 - I managed to get the tyre sorted on the trailer today, making the boat moveable again ! This allowed me to consider a few options. Carry on cleaning down the boat, or tackle the engine (she has not been started since early Oct 2019 and sits there mocking)..

It’s been a glorious day in the west, so I took my time on the engine. Cleaned out the old fuel, plugs and fetched some petrol / oil to mix. After a bad battery, dirty carb, corroded connection on the starter motor and plenty of tea she is running !

Love the smell of two stroke after some swear words..Shattered but happy.

06608784-6843-4-D01-8-F1-D-AE4-D44450628.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Its not that much work really.new floor lick of paint shes good to go.use marine ply for the floor I used wbp and it delaminatied in a year from water in the bilge.

Check where I marked on both sides of the engine for cracks or repair it looks like someone put a large plate across the transom to spread the load this is usually done when the transom is rotten and the person wanted a quick fix.

44e10267d63d5ac74dee03d612780b58.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fulanoquetal

If I am not mistaken, that is a Pilot 17. We had one in the 70's. First engine was a 40HP....not enough to get her on a plane with 2 adults and 5 kids !....went for a 60HP and that was just about enough.

BTW....I'd probably take off that massive windshield. It creates a big slab for wind resistance...and looks fugly !. What would work well is a collabsible bimini for extra shelter/cover when fishng etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nice boat Dansey...when will be her maiden voyage?

Advertisement