Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PPS Number and Proof of Address

• 01-04-2021 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone

I am very sorry if i just posted in the wrong section.

I am going to start a new job in 2 weeks in Dublin, I arrived in the country a week ago and I am currently renting a room in a shared house.

My job is pressuring me into obtaining the PPS ASAP otherwise they say they won't be able to pay me at all (their words).

Problem is that my landlord can't provide me any household bill (water,gas,electricity) at his name at all, the only 2 ways at my disposal to prove my address for the application are:

-My GoMo monthly phone bill
    - A wifi bill ( the only bill under my landlord's name)
    - A Bank Statement
    (The government website considers ''Financial Statement'' as proof of Address for PPS but in Ireland i do not know if a Bank Statement is considered a Financial Statement)

Would you know if any of those would be accepted as a proof of address ?

I have tried to email and call the Citizen Information Center for a few days now without any response and the HR department at my Job is not helpful at all.

In advance, thanks for any help or advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Sambo89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I am going to start a new job in 2 weeks in Dublin, I arrived in the country a week ago and I am currently renting a room in a shared house.

My job is pressuring me into obtaining the PPS ASAP otherwise they say they won't be able to pay me at all (their words).

Problem is that my landlord can't provide me any household bill (water,gas,electricity) at his name at all, the only 2 ways at my disposal to prove my address for the application are:

- A Bank Statement
    (The government website considers ''Financial Statement'' as proof of Address for PPS but in Ireland i do not know if a Bank Statement is considered a Financial Statement)

I have tried to email and call the Citizen Information Center for a few days now without any response and the HR department at my Job is not helpful at all.

I've often used bank statements as proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Sambo89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

- A Bank Statement

To put the below statements in context you can work in Ireland legally for a short time while your pps is being processed.

1 I don’t know if pps appointments are going ahead now due to covid. But if I’m wrong make a booking now ASAP and worry about the paperwork after that not the other way around.

2 you can get paid you’ll just be on emergency tax whatever line the company is spinning you is down to there payroll software, the not being able to pay at all is not true.

3 even if this was normal times you probably wouldn’t get a pps in such a short time window.

4 if you have a rental agreement with your name on it and address that is proof. A bank statement addressed to you at your current address is also proof. Does the landlord live in the same house as you? If so get him/her to handwrite a note on the WiFi bill to say that this is the case.

5 HR stands for human remains if you learn anything whilst your in Ireland it’ll be that HR departments are universally terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sambo89

Hello Guys

First of all thank you a lot for your responses,

I managed to get through with the Department of Social Protection phone line and the lady confirmed exactly what you both said : bank statements or even letters from the Bank with the address and my name on it are valid proof of addresses.

All the PPS procedure is now entirely done online on Mywelfare, once you apply you get a notification that says that the application is under review and ''if succesfull an officer will be in contact'',the huge downside is that if the application is rejected you do not get the motive of rejection nor a notification you ll only see that you can apply to the procedure again ( I have tried once already )

My Landlord does not live on site, i would have to take it up with him once my mandatory quarantine is over. We do not have a written tenancy agreement, I think I am going to set it up with him. My HR contact mentioned that a ''Rent Book'' would also be a proof of address, I might look into it as well

Yeah i figured the company was not being totally truthful and as far as HR goes: I have lived in 4 different countries and I can confirm they suck absolutely everywhere ha ha ha

Again, thank you both for your help, I will post again on that thread once I manage to get through the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Query......

once a potential employer has your pps number, does that mean they have access to your work history? time on welfare etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Tow

fryup wrote: »
    once a potential employer has your pps number, does that mean they have access to your work history? time on welfare etc??

No.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

Query......

Absolutely not.

They cannot use it to obtain any information, just to correctly report your pay to Revenue/Welfare.

but can they request it from Revenue/Welfare??

Still no

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Query......

No. Your PPS Number is your national unique identifier in Ireland. It is used by your employer for tax purposes - it allows them to download your allocated tax credits and notify Revenue (tax authority) when they process your payslips. It may be used for processing sick leave with DSP (particularly if a public servant), but you have to authorise that.

Anything beyond processing payments requires your consent. I’ve never heard it used for anything else by an employer.

Revenue on the other hand definitely have access to your work history and payments :)

so if a potential employer was to phone Revenue or the SW and say....

"hi i'm wondering could you help me i have the pps no of Mr Joe Bloggs could you tell how long he was signing on?"

They'd tell them to get stuffed..........yes??

• Advertisement

Which part of the word no is confusing you?

just want to be 101% certain

just want to be 101% certain

How long were you signing on?

very long, and i didn't mention it in the application form...i padded out my work history if you know what i mean

Your... errors and omissions... will not be revealed by Welfare

Advertisement