Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Artists who reached #1 with their first or only top 10 despite multiple chart entries

• 30-03-2021 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭

Not counting one hit wonders (or including one hit wonders who had hits outside the top 10), can anybody think of any established artists who reached the top 40 several times, and had a number one single, but otherwise never reached the top 10?

I'll start with Kraftwerk and "The Model/Das Modell". The song topped the charts in 1982 but apart from that their highest charting UK single got to #11.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

This surely fits the bill, think they had four or five other Top 40 hits but none reached the Top ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Tony Bennett's only UK #1 and Top 10 was "Stranger in Paradise" which spent 16 weeks in the charts. His next highest charting single, Close Your Eyes, reached #18, and he had seven other top 40 hits.

Also in the US, Henry Mancini, with the theme tune to "Romeo & Juliet", also known as "A Time for Us".

His "Moon River" theme fell just short of the US Top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Lauryn Hill as both a solo artist and a member of The Fugees on the Billboard Hot 100?

Although I think the most surprising thing for me is how badly the singles from The Score did (most didn't even make the top 100) considering it was a chart topping album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

New Edition
    Sinead O’Connor

The Housemartins failed to make the top 10 after Caravan Of Love topped the charts but Happy Hour was a big hit before it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

New Edition
    Sinead O’Connor

The Housemartins failed to make the top 10 after Caravan Of Love topped the charts but Happy Hour was a big hit before it,

Going by the original post, they would not count because it did not stipulate the timing of top 10 hits, i.e. they did have another top 10 hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

BOSTIK wrote: »
    This surely fits the bill, think they had four or five other Top 40 hits but none reached the Top ten.

On the Irish Charts, they reached number 6 with Lover Come Back To Me and number 8 with Something In My House

New Edition
    Sinead O’Connor

New Edition never had a number one in Ireland. Candy Girl reached number 2.

Sinead O'Connor had two more top 10 hits after Nothing Compares To U:
    The Emperor's New Clothes reached number 5 and My Special Child number 6. She also reached number 6 when she joined up with Shane Mac Howan on their version of Haunted.

The Housemartins had three more top 10 hits after Caravan of Love:
    Me and the Farmer and Five Get Over Excited reached number 4 and Build number 9.

bigar wrote: »
    They had three more top 10 hits after Caravan of Love in Ireland:
    Me and the Farmer and Five Get Over Excited reached number 4 and Build number 9.

Sorry - was going by UK charts and my book of British Hit Singles (published by Guinness)

While I listened to the Irish top 30 every Sunday, I always considered the UK one more "definitive". The Irish one not being properly archived doesn't help (symptomatic of a wider issue towards archiving generally) - although most of the charts have been published on ukmix.org

You can find historic Irish Charts here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I get the impression, that the OP was referring specifically to the UK Charts.

I get the impression, that the OP was referring specifically to the UK Charts.

The Bilboard Hot 100 is also mentioned. I would then assume it will also cover other charts including the Irish Charts as, stating the obvious, we are in Ireland.

The Bilboard Hot 100 is also mentioned. I would then assume it will also cover other charts including the Irish Charts as, stating the obvious, we are in Ireland.

I mentioned Henry Mancini as an artist who only had one Billboard top 10 hit.

You can find historic Irish Charts here.

I have seen that page before - it's not bad - you can search by artist or song but there is no way (not that I can see) of viewing the full top 30 for a particular week. ukmix.org covers that off in a series of posts but not an easy way to search.

In the UK, AC/DC had numerous singles that failed to reach the top 10 - only one has, a reissue of Highway To Hell in 2012.

They're also one of a few high profile acts that have yet to release a Greatest Hits / Best Of / Singles Collection

Metallica, Coldplay and Rihanna are three others.

Another one is Italian DJ Vito Lucente, AKA Junior Jack. His only #1 or top 10 in the UK, was "Make Luv" in 2003, released under the name "Room 5". As Junior Jack he's had several chart entries outside of the top10.

Speaking of dance music, I suppose we could also include New York DJ Roger Sanchez, with "Another Chance". Interestingly though he had 3 other UK top 40 hits but none made the top 20 and "Another Chance" would be his only song that most people would have heard.

Post edited by its_steve116 on

I think The Clash are the most successful such artist in the UK; most top 40 hits with their only top 10 hit reaching #1. They had 17 top 40s in total.

If we count artists who only had one other top 40 we could also include Modjo, Slik, Black Legend, amongst others.

21 Savage as well, he was a featuring artist on Post Malone's "Rockstar" but his next highest charting single got to #13.

(Jefferson) Starship as well, in 1987 with "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now".

Interestingly, Jefferson Airplane never had a charting single in the UK until 1987, when a reissue of White Rabbit got to #94.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Do you know if, or where, White Rabbit was used in a film or an ad? It is one of those songs which I can't place but whenever I hear it, I am sure I've heard it in something.

I think a version of it was used in the movie "Sucker Punch".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't know that film. Maybe was it used in some Vietnam War film or something? Or maybe something like a Tarrantino film. It is the bit at the end of the song that is triggering the association I cannot place. It might have been used on an ad or for a radio program or something.

I think I actually tried looking it up before. Didn't spend long on it but couldn't find anything. So maybe it was my imagination

Edit: I'm after looking there now and on youtube the comments talk about a new Matrix film. That's not what I'm talking about though. This is in my head from years back. I haven't seen anything related to a new Matrix film

Edit 2: Found it!!! It was used in Platoon

Kings of Leon, My Chemical Romance and Bryan Adams all reached #1 in the UK with their first top 10s "Sex on Fire", "Welcone to the Black Parade" and "Everything I Do" respectively after years of many hits outside the top 10, but all three would go on to have further top 10 hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

Tasmin Archer. After sleeping satellite, she had four singles ranging from #16-#40

So that is five top 40 hits! I never would have guessed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭jacool

An Australian DJ called LUUDE has re-mixed this and Colin Hay has re-recorded some of the vocals, and hey presto #16 in the UK this week!

• Advertisement

Ava Max now on 5 UK top 40s with only one chart-topping top 10

Advertisement