Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Butterfly clasps - love, tolerate or hate?

Options
  • 31-03-2021 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

stainless-steel-metal-bracelet-replacement-12mm-watch-band-butterfly-clasp-5010-30.jpg

What I'm referring to - butterfly clasps on a bracelet - like them? Tolerate them? Or detest them?

Quite an important question (as this does relate to Sólás' upcoming diver - I can imagine intakes of breathe - a butterfly clasp on a diver??? It's related to the tungsten material - it is very, very difficult/expensive to develop any clasp that features microadjust with dealing with tungsten - it isn't like steel in that small fiddly pieces of tungsten are liable to break off). We have a separate (steel) diver's attachment for divers who actually want to use the watch in the water.

That is why with the Equinox (currently) our tungsten bracelet comes with butterfly clasps. These are the types of clasps you almost always find with other tungsten watches and bracelets too:
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/lum-tec-m26-tungsten-watch-review/ (this is a $1800 Swiss watch)

While speaking to a watch reviewer they praised the objective of bringing out an affordable tungsten microrotor diver - but absolutely hated the butterfly clasp idea on a diver calling it a dealbreaker for them actually.

Realistically - if we were going to attempt to make a tungsten ratcheting clasp (I don't think anyone has ever attempted to make one before) - it would cost thousands in additional research fees and add hundreds in cost of an Equinox unit (with bracelet and clasp).

Hence some market research now - does everyone feel the same way about butterfly clasps (especially ones on a diver?) Like I said, don't worry about using it to dive however - the Equinox has a special diver attachment separate to our bracelet (which is meant for desk diving duties (or diving without a wetsuit/drysuit)).

If people do feel that way there will be a number of other options I could take - but I'll put that on the Sólás thread.

Here I just want to understand if people love, tolerate or hate butterfly clasps on bracelets/divers?

Butterfly clasps on bracelets/divers - how do you feel? 24 votes

Love it
    75% 18 votes
    Tolerate it
    8% 2 votes
    Hate it
    12% 3 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

On a bracelet, they can be lovely.
    AP and IWC do them well IMO.
    Now given that the vast majority of potential buyers won't be diving with the equinox, I can see why it's an option particularly with the lack of malleability on tungsten.

Thing is as a diver bracelet? I'd be very much in the no thanks camp for a butterfly clasp.
    I've had experience of a clasp spontaneously opening and dropping of my wrist.

With a deployment buckle, the strap tuck can save you, with a normal dive bracelet similar safety in that opening doesn't usually leave to the whole strap immediately opening thanks to a locking clasp.

With the tungsten bracelet with a butterfly, it's a desk diver.
    With the other strap options it's a proper diving option.
    The need for an additional strap option for diving is an added cost that you need to factor in.

Now that I've said all that, you will no doubt find a way to make the tungsten work.
    It is an incredible vision, and one I have every faith you will pull off.

TLDR:
    Yes, butterfly on a bracelet on a sports watch.
    No, butterfly on an actual tool watch, dive used work watch.

PS: Did the model arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

banie01 wrote: »
    Thing is as a diver bracelet? I'd be very much in the no thanks camp for a butterfly clasp.
    I've had experience of a clasp spontaneously opening and dropping of my wrist.

TLDR:
    Yes, butterfly on a bracelet on a sports watch.
    No, butterfly on an actual tool watch, dive used work watch.

PS: Did the model arrive?

Model hasn't arrived yet - but I'd be hoping that it'd come by tomorrow. The 3D printer from Germany has arrived however (I've just been too busy to even open up the packaging these last few days).

Just to further clarify - the butterfly clasp wouldn't be the bracelet that I'd take the Equinox diving with. You may recall NJBurke gave me a really good idea to use the bungee cords - we've designed a special Equinox diving bracelet replacement that will make use of that idea - that attachment is actually in steel (since it has large holes drilled into it which need to be resistant to impacts and a diver won't care how pretty its tool looks after 100 dives - just that it's keeping the watch head securely in place).

So on the bracelet I see it as closer to the sports watch category of the AP etc.
    On the dive tool it will actually be very well equipped for diving (more so than most dive watches).

A case of trying too hard to be all things to all people? Potentially...

Actually realised there is a butterfly clasp with extensions available… in the Vacheron Constantin overseas :pac:

Maybe an investigation to see if the VC system can be implemented by Sólás :D (the technique might not be expensive actually).

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Actually realised there is a butterfly clasp with extensions available… in the Vacheron Constantin overseas :pac:

Maybe an investigation to see if the VC system can be implemented by Sólás :D (the technique might not be expensive actually).

Seems like Formex and Omega also have an extension system implemented for their butterfly clasps too - of course all in stainless steel and not tungsten but some of the systems look promising to replicate for tungsten.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/butterfly-clasps-on-bracelets-love-tolerate-or-hate.5294810/page-2#post-53254715

Is the same survey up on WUS with pictures of the Formex, Omega and VC solutions (formex even has it in their $900 watch so that's promising…)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox wrote: »

Is the same survey up on WUS with pictures of the Formex, Omega and VC solutions (formex even has it in their $900 watch so that's promising…)

Some great leads on alternative clasp mechanisms on there.
    The Lange, the JLC and the Hahn all jump out at me as well the ones mentioned.

• Advertisement

Those ones would unfortunately never work with tungsten - having small teeth cut into tungsten/small latches is a recipe for chipping/breaking of parts. Tungsten needs to be as monolithic as possible. They do make great steel systems however.

Very different result we're seeing in the WUS vs boards.ie results - I wonder what followers on Instagram will decide once I pose the question there?

For our resident AP and PP owners - wouldn't you like it if they did a similar system as on the Overseas on the Nautilus or Royal Oak too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It wouldn't put me off a watch but I definitely prefer a single foldover on any strap type. Getting the continuous bracelet look is a non issue imho, I prefer something that works well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I think when a watch fan buys a diver, they tend to want the full functionality of a diver, even if it will be a desk diver.

I love the idea of tungsten, like titanium, but only if it contributes to the tool nature of the watch.

A butterfly clasp is nice, but to me it does not equate with the utility of a genuine diver.

If you had quick release, tool-less spring bars on a bracelet to swap with a diving strap, maybe, but that seems like a lot of extra expense for the facility.

I'm not saying a butterfly clasp would be a deal breaker for me, but it might make me think twice about a diver with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I think when a watch fan buys a diver, they tend to want the full functionality of a diver, even if it will be a desk diver.

I love the idea of tungsten, like titanium, but only if it contributes to the tool nature of the watch.

A butterfly clasp is nice, but to me it does not equate with the utility of a genuine diver.

If you had quick release, tool-less spring bars on a bracelet to swap with a diving strap, maybe, but that seems like a lot of extra expense for the facility.

I'm not saying a butterfly clasp would be a deal breaker for me, but it might make me think twice about a diver with one.
    Yeah, you see people argue about 100m vs 200m water resistance on divers watches when they won't even wear them in the shower. They're a fickle bunch

Not sure if I'd buy a tungsten watch without wearing it first to judge the weight in person, but that's just me. I reckon lots would love the idea of tungsten and the advantages it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Ye problem I have with butterfly clasps is getting the fit right. No microadjust is a bit of a pain usually meaning I have a choice of wearing the watch too loose or too tight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement