Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

1757677787981»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

No argument with you and I'll slow down, main risk being injury? Or just focus on covering sufficient miles before increasing the pace?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Finished that programme I was doing.

Goal would now be to run 5k a bit quicker than current pace. So I've basically done a couch to 5k type of thing, not looking to do 10k etc, any recommendations of a plan to follow??

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I've started the C25K recently and was looking for info. Is there many currently doing it now? Great to read (some) of this thread, 161 pages is a bit much to get through. Well done everyone.

I'm using the NHS podcasts and tomorrow I'll be doing Week 3, Run 2 - thankfully finding it fine so far and some days i feel i could run much more but want to keep it slow and steady as per the plan. 46 years old and 198kgs (was 202kg when i started!) Goal is to run the 30 mins and get my weight down - target one 1 is 95kgs and target 2 is 90kgs. I coach a local soccer team so would be great to be able to take part in more of the drills!! I also play golf so being a bit fitter should help with that too.

I do the C25K modules on Tues / Thurs / Sat regardless of weather - something relaxing about jogging in the rain when normally you wouldn't think of going out in it! I even went out in the snow showers yesterday! On Mon / Wed / Fri I walk anywhere from 4 to 8kms and on a Sunday morning I go for a cycle, nothing fancy just a few kms. The joys of living out in the middle of nowhere is i'm not restricted and rarely meet anyone!

I do suffer from a kind of shin discomfort though - I get a pain in the muscle just to the outside of my shin if i walk too quick and sometimes in the runs. Gets to a point where its uncomfortable but doesn't get any worse. When i was foam rolling it after one run I noticed it was numb from about 4 inches below my knee all the way to my big toe on my left leg. i was advised to start taking magnesium to help with circulation and it has helped a bit. I've was also recommended to get compression sleeves and they help too. In the few weeks the pain is getting less and less.

I was also looking for advice on decent runners to use so will ask in the Gear & Equipment thread.

Keep it up everyone!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think not many frequent this section of the forum much but i just wanted to give an update!!
    Finished my C25K and ran my first 5k on the morning of St. Patricks Day, absolutely delighted with myself as only a few weeks ago I was wrecked after doing a few 1 minute runs. I have ran a few 5kms runs since and loving them - got some great advice on here in other threads and have implemented it into my runs. Currently doing the 5k in 32 minutes and am well happy with that - if I stay on that pace for ever that would be fine with me. No more shin splints as well.

Not sure if I want to longer runs but that could change during the "summer" if it comes!!

One thing though, on my runs I seem to start off great, slow and steady and comfortably run 4k with ease but when I get over that something in me says "enough" and just wants to stop, I sometimes struggle with the last kilometer. I can push myself to get to the 5k and even on Monday I went on to 5.5kms but I need to get over this. Am going out this evening so am going to try a different route which is a 5k loop and this might help me get over the "finish line" Any tips on overcoming this would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

charlieIRL wrote: »

Not sure if I want to longer runs but that could change during the "summer" if it comes!!

One thing though, on my runs I seem to start off great, slow and steady and comfortably run 4k with ease but when I get over that something in me says "enough" and just wants to stop, I sometimes struggle with the last kilometer. I can push myself to get to the 5k and even on Monday I went on to 5.5kms but I need to get over this. Am going out this evening so am going to try a different route which is a 5k loop and this might help me get over the "finish line" Any tips on overcoming this would be greatly appreciated.

No need to push it really in my opinion on both the distance or trying to power through that last km. If you feel like stopping or walking for a couple of meters then do so :)

It's still early days in your running career and you are already seeing improvements in distance and your shins splints being better. Take it easy on yourself you are only human after all. Try to be consistent and get out the door as often as you can for the loop. If you can do that along with your planned weight loss you won't even notice that KM being difficult in the future.

P.S if you master patience and weight loss let me know how...I'm still working on it myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I think not many frequent this section of the forum much but i just wanted to give an update!!
    Finished my C25K and ran my first 5k on the morning of St. Patricks Day, absolutely delighted with myself as only a few weeks ago I was wrecked after doing a few 1 minute runs. I have ran a few 5kms runs since and loving them - got some great advice on here in other threads and have implemented it into my runs. Currently doing the 5k in 32 minutes and am well happy with that - if I stay on that pace for ever that would be fine with me. No more shin splints as well.

Well done - it's around two years since I did the NHS programme and started doing 5Ks. I did nearly 50 Parkruns in around 14 months and then Covid struck!

Got a bit lazy last autumn/winter but back doing one or two a week now. Trying to get back to around 31 mins for the 5K which I was doing a year ago.

I think your time is great! Keep it up!

Advertisement