Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I pay the VRT?

• 03-02-2021 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi so I am planning on buying an Audi rd3 from the UK. The VRT would be way too expensive now considering I would have to pay VAT on top of the price. I will only be driving the car on a Saturday and Sunday as I drive a van to work on the weekdays. What is the chance I would get caught doing this. Do the customs even work on the weekends?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

no, customs work 9 to 5 Monday to Friday, you'll be grand. just make sure you don't drive it on weekdays

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Uuuuu1111

Just wondering if I bought a uk reg car in the Uk and got a car dealer from Northern Ireland to make me an invoice saying I bought the car from them and also have a ferry ticket stating that the car was brought into Northern Ireland before January 2021 would I have to pay VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭User1998

Stupid question

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Uuuuu1111 wrote: »
    Just wondering if I bought a uk reg car in the Uk and got a car dealer from Northern Ireland to make me an invoice saying I bought the car from them and also have a ferry ticket stating that the car was brought into Northern Ireland before January 2021 would I have to pay VAT?

Sure you might as well go the whole hog and just print up a set of irish plates for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

IBTL :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Uuuuu1111

User1998 wrote: »
    Stupid question

Not a stupid question a local dealer is doing it atm and suggested it to me he said he hasn't had any hassle doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Uuuuu1111 wrote: »
    Not a stupid question a local dealer is doing it atm and suggested it to me he said he hasn't had any hassle doing it.

I raised this question last week here re whether this is what the trade are up to as a way of bringing in uk cars. I suspect some may be but its tax fraud of the highest order. Fake invoices, fake travel docs, vat fraud etc.
    Someday you trade friend or his customer will walk into vrt centre and the customs will have recorded the car coming in on the boat and the system will flag it as a false declaration. Be will be out of business andcin serious sh1t.
    Just source a ni car and buy that and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Update us after your court appearance OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement