Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k

• 30-03-2021 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Started doing a couch to 5k program over the winter. It's from the english NHS ( just googled one).
    Seems a good way to ease into it. I am overweight and just turned 40, but also have always played sports (mainly soccer).
    Anyone tried a similar program?
    Any tips?

As the distances step up, I find if I can get a rhythm between my strides and my breathing helps to plough along especially as I have techno mixes on my headphones.
    I find if I keep glancing at the watch, even a few minutes seems like an eternity.

Any help appreciated. Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Personally I found if you need to repeat certain weeks then do. Do it at your pace, I often did 4-5 runs for each week

Try and throw in some mobility exercises or cycle for some sessions to do non-impact work, perhaps follow IrishPhysio or the likes on Instagram who has a lot especially for runners. He has sessions on calfs, ankles which take good bit of pounding on a run

keep this or set up a training log. Boards a great spot for encouragement and if you know others might be watching it might help getting you out

best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Don't over-do it stick to the programme! :)

You may feel fit enough to do more ..... but your body needs to take it's time getting used to running!

I fast-tracked my way through the C25K and ended up injured :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'm similar to you OP but 6 years older, played soccer and currently coach soccer & gaelic (well before Covid!)

I've just finished my couch to 5k plan - done the NHS one with the podcasts as well. Was tough for the first few weeks but gradually got easier - I was dreading the first 20 minute run because up to that it was 3 / 5 / 8 minute runs with walking, i just took it slow on the day and done it no problem. You won't feel your fitness building up over the 9 weeks. I've ran a few 5k's since no problem at all, am just keeping them slow and steady for now. Started at 102kgs and currently 93kgs.

Don't get caught up with running 5k in 30 minutes though, just run for 30 minutes and be happy!!

I also walk a lot and started back cycling on my "rest" days, am finding this helps as well.

There is a Couch to 5K thread on here but its 161 pages long, I read some of it when i started my plan. Link here.

Best of luck and keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I did Week 3 Day 2 this morning, embarrassingly this is about my 7th or 8th time doing C25K. I've always completed it but eventually lose interest in running and then come back to it a year later and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Im 47 with no excercise in the last 20 years bar a job that involves alot of walking and did the NHS couch to 5k plan . I started before xmas and finished it after about 12 weeks i had to take a week off here and there because my knee was sore. Stretching and strenght excercise fixed that. The NHS plan aims to get you to run for 30mins at the end of 9 weeks . I started off thinking the plans was to get you to run 5k in 30 mins after 9 weeks and set my pace accordingly at 10km per hour for my periods of running and realised quickly that I was in no shape to maintain that pace so I reduced my pace to where I was comfortable for the duration of my run .
    After 12 weeks I was running the 5K in under 40 mins.
    Every week I said theres no way I'm ready for the next week but get started and you'll surprise yourself. The body's ability to increase fitness levels surprised me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I did Week 3 Day 2 this morning, embarrassingly this is about my 7th or 8th time doing C25K. I've always completed it but eventually lose interest in running and then come back to it a year later and start again.

you shouldn't be embarrassed about restarting it. That's what it's for and it's getting you out. Says more about you to go back and start again then not at all

So fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'm similar to you OP but 6 years older, played soccer and currently coach soccer & gaelic (well before Covid!)

I've just finished my couch to 5k plan - done the NHS one with the podcasts as well. Was tough for the first few weeks but gradually got easier - I was dreading the first 20 minute run because up to that it was 3 / 5 / 8 minute runs with walking, i just took it slow on the day and done it no problem. You won't feel your fitness building up over the 9 weeks. I've ran a few 5k's since no problem at all, am just keeping them slow and steady for now. Started at 102kgs and currently 93kgs.

Don't get caught up with running 5k in 30 minutes though, just run for 30 minutes and be happy!!

I also walk a lot and started back cycling on my "rest" days, am finding this helps as well.

There is a Couch to 5K thread on here but its 161 pages long, I read some of it when i started my plan. Link here.

Best of luck and keep at it.

Thanks mate. Sounds like im doing the exact same one. Great job with the weight drop...that's encouraging

Thanks mate. Sounds like im doing the exact same one. Great job with the weight drop...that's encouraging

cheers thanks, weight is coming off slowly which i beliieve is the better way to loose it. Some weeks no drops and others could be a Kilo!

When you get going and into a rythm, running its great, however I often find that after 4 odd kms I nearly have enough and want to stop, tried a few different loops here and made little difference. When I finish at 5k and do my warm down I feel I have the energy to run so much more, need to get my head sorted or find a running buddy to keep me going! When i'm out cycling i could go for hours no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

charlieIRL wrote: »
    cheers thanks, weight is coming off slowly which i beliieve is the better way to loose it. Some weeks no drops and others could be a Kilo!

When you get going and into a rythm, running its great, however I often find that after 4 odd kms I nearly have enough and want to stop, tried a few different loops here and made little difference. When I finish at 5k and do my warm down I feel I have the energy to run so much more, need to get my head sorted or find a running buddy to keep me going! When i'm out cycling i could go for hours no problem.

Yeah that's tricky. Do you find you get tired or more just bored? I started running around the neighborhood but last few times went through the woods which has more twists and turns and tends to keep more engaged. Also have some good music on helps push me a bit too.

Yeah that's tricky. Do you find you get tired or more just bored? I started running around the neighborhood but last few times went through the woods which has more twists and turns and tends to keep more engaged. Also have some good music on helps push me a bit too.

Bored and have enough of it!! For the few hours before I go and for the start of my run I can't wait to get going and I really enjoy it when I do get out but out of the blue I just want to stop.

On my last two runs my daughter came with me (she's training for when Gaelic / Soccer comes back - she's previously trained with FAI development squads and County Gaelic) and we could run all evening -done 5.5k last night and only stopped as she had zoom strength & conditioning class Tuesday evening and it was a tough one.

I change up my routes each time and use different playlists now that the C25K podcasts are finished. I might go back to the Nike Run CLub ones - only used it once and found it excellent but I track all my runs on Strava and it doesn't share data with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement