Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Earth2 - anybody in Ireland involved?

• 29-03-2021 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Looking to see if anybody else have invested any money or what their thoughts are on the game? I've heard good and bad reviews so before I put money in would like to get the opinion of people here.

It seems places like the Aras and large swathes of Dublin have been bought by American players already.

Parts of O Connell Street owned by British players which is difficult to digest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Arpa wrote: »
    Looking to see if anybody else have invested any money or what their thoughts are on the game? I've heard good and bad reviews so before I put money in would like to get the opinion of people here.

It seems places like the Aras and large swathes of Dublin have been bought by American players already.

Parts of O Connell Street owned by British players which is difficult to digest.

Why is one part of a virtual Dublin 'owned' by British players difficult to digest but parts owned by Americans more palatable in a pretend game?? A strange statement.

Frankly the whole thing seems like a load of rubbish and a waste of money.

'Invest' in this and you WILL get burned. Badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Why is one part of a virtual Dublin 'owned' by British players difficult to digest but parts owned by Americans more palatable in a pretend game?? A strange statement.

Frankly the whole thing seems like a load of rubbish and a waste of money.

'Invest' in this and you WILL get burned. Badly.

Surely it's not that hard to understand why they hold different connotations in a historical context?

Agree with the rest though, seems like little more than a scam to make money for its creators.

quokula wrote: »
    Surely it's not that hard to understand why they hold different connotations in a historical context?

Agree with the rest though, seems like little more than a scam to make money for its creators.

I find it hard to understand because it is not a real place!!! It is virtual, make believe, ones and zeroes. Why would anyone give a toss?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

I think the idea for the future potential is what's exciting about it. I don't buy the ponzi scheme article posted above, there's far too much reputation at stake for that to be going on. And reputation of people who have skin in the game.

The vision would be that virtual land will be represented in AR via a mobile device. Think about sitting in an airport and checking in to see what's in Earth 2. The advertising potential of that alone is huge, and they are building in a narrative - adventure peaceful and warring game engines. There's some good heads on board to make that happen.

"It is virtual, make believe, ones and zeroes. Why would anyone give a toss?"

Kids nowadays inhabit virtual worlds. A huge industry is built off the back of virtual one's and zero's. It also happens to be the name of the forum in which you are posting.

Still interested to hear other's thoughts though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the idea for the future potential is what's exciting about it. I don't buy the ponzi scheme article posted above, there's far too much reputation at stake for that to be going on. And reputation of people who have skin in the game.

The vision would be that virtual land will be represented in AR via a mobile device. Think about sitting in an airport and checking in to see what's in Earth 2. The advertising potential of that alone is huge, and they are building in a narrative - adventure peaceful and warring game engines. There's some good heads on board to make that happen.

"It is virtual, make believe, ones and zeroes. Why would anyone give a toss?"

Kids nowadays inhabit virtual worlds. A huge industry is built off the back of virtual one's and zero's. It also happens to be the name of the forum in which you are posting.

Sounding like a sunk cost fallacy. And reputations can be refreshed with a bankruptcy procedure if things go wrong. In a private company there's even less liability.

I'm not putting my hard-earned into it though am I? For it to be lost. Remind me: what happened with Second Life in the end?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sounding like a sunk cost fallacy. And reputations can be refreshed with a bankruptcy procedure if things go wrong. In a private company there's even less liability.

I don't see any evidence that this is what's happening from the research I've done. How likely is it for the Co Founder of Oculus to be willing to risk his reputation even if there is recourse via bankruptcy.
    https://twitter.com/dseo1030?lang=en

Reputation cannot be refreshed. How many investment banks would be willing to hire Nick Leeson again?
    I'm not putting my hard-earned into it though am I? For it to be lost. Remind me: what happened with Second Life in the end?

If you don't put your hard earned into it does not mean that there are thousands who won't. To say that something has no value because it exists in a digital space is to be blind to the current state of affairs with financial and blockchain technology.

As for Second Life, I could say the same about Bebo. The fact that the first iteration or the first few iterations of a concept fail to succeed doesn't preclude future iterations form succeeding.

Anyway, all the points you guys raise are valid and it's precisely why I asked for people's thoughts on it. There's something in it that is telling me it has potential. It's very early days but making a move early on could be smart. The terrain technology alone is interesting enough in that it's rendering a 1:1 scale model of the earth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How likely is it for the Co Founder of Oculus to be willing to risk his reputation even if there is recourse via bankruptcy.
    https://twitter.com/dseo1030?lang=en

This guy is not one of the 'co-founders' of Oculus. He was hired to lead its Korean team. By all accounts he's a 'serial entrepreneur', two words which always set off the loudest of alarm bells when put together.

The whole 'Earth 2' thing sounds like one of the many, many digital utopian ideas that will inevitably collapse into (at best) a total lack of interest beyond a few increasingly niche true believers.

To quote the lads on Dragon's Den: I'm out.

I don't care if blockchain is the future, it's not a train I will ever get on.

A f@ckin' PRETEND O'Connell St. that people will pay REAL money for. Jesus wept...

Barnum was right.

Edit: just realised, what the hell has this to do with gaming anyway???

• Advertisement

This guy is not one of the 'co-founders' of Oculus. He was hired to lead its Korean team. By all accounts he's a 'serial entrepreneur', two words which always set off the loudest of alarm bells when put together.

The whole 'Earth 2' thing sounds like one of the many, many digital utopian ideas that will inevitably collapse into (at best) a total lack of interest beyond a few increasingly niche true believers.

Google a little further than the first results page or what Wikipedia says:

https://youtu.be/-951LpdmAqw?t=975

Concerning the utopian aspect of it, you could indeed be right here. It's too early to say if it will succeed.
    To quote the lads on Dragon's Den: I'm out.

I don't care if blockchain is the future, it's not a train I will ever get on.

A f@ckin' PRETEND O'Connell St. that people will pay REAL money for. Jesus wept...

Barnum was right.

Edit: just realised, what the hell has this to do with gaming anyway???

You are of course entitled to not get on the Blockchain train.

A pretend O'Connell Street it may be, just like every other game environment is a virtual representation of a real or imagined landscape. I'm not seeing how this is the difficult part.

Whether you personally would buy virtual/digital assets is up to you but to deny there is a market in this space is delusional. Simply look at in game currencies, the impending IPO of Roblox, the economies built on Minecraft. I didn't think I'd have to explain that in the gaming forum.

What has it do with gaming? It's an early stage computer game, currently a strategy game with a development pipeline towards a virtual reality experience game.

I like PT Barnum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's hardly a game though. What have they built outside of sticking some nice pre made photogramic assets on top of a google earth generated terrain that any half decent developer or artist could do. What makes it a game?

Over ambitious nonsense that we've seen in the past. Wasn't there other virtual worlds like this before also selling "land and property" for stupid prices. Seems like a scam at worst or a very naive time sink project that will never come close to completion at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

As for Second Life, I could say the same about Bebo. The fact that the first iteration or the first few iterations of a concept fail to succeed doesn't preclude future iterations form succeeding.

Second Life is grand. It's the de facto most succesfull 3d chat room and still the best. Numbers went up during the covid and a lot of these people will stay for 8 to 10 years.

It's your money at the end of the day. There is the possibly if our neibours next door feck up, that their economy could tank. Just explore the bit coin buzz some other way if that's your primary motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyway, all the points you guys raise are valid and it's precisely why I asked for people's thoughts on it. There's something in it that is telling me it has potential. It's very early days but making a move early on could be smart. The terrain technology alone is interesting enough in that it's rendering a 1:1 scale model of the earth.

The very fact you have to ask a bunch of boardsies if investing in this is "smart" is all you need to know. :pac:

1:1 scale model of Earth, come off it!
    Microsoft is having trouble doing that with Flight Simulator & they have an order of magnitude more resources at their disposal.

And there's nothing preventing anyone from creating Earth 3/4/5.5/XP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Right, now I'm curious. Time for some googling.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement