Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two nations one team!

Options
  • 30-03-2021 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ireland-too-small-for-two-soccer-teams-and-should-be-all-island-side-ff-senator-1.4522867

Is this the ‘go to position’ every time the ROI football team have a particularly bad run? I can’t really decide whether it is, offensive, laughable, or just plain sad.

From my perspective, the most absurd quote I have heard in a long time is in this article.

Seanad leader Regina Doherty agreed that “it is something we should be talking about”. She told Senators it “probably should be less contentious” than some of the other topics in the Government’s Shared Island initiative

Although this quote in the same article, gives it a very close run.
    Mr Gallagher said “the reality is that for two small nations like Northern Ireland and the Republic to have two soccer teams on a small island, one island and expect them to compete at international level is simply not on anymore”

I have to disagree strongly with Regina Doherty. As a Unionist, but more importantly a Northern Ireland football supporter, her suggestion that this may be ‘less contentious’ is absurd. I wonder with Regina Doherty find it fairly uncontentious if England set about creating a British isles team to replace the five nations teams.

And I am genuinely interested, is it embarrassing as a ROI football fan when your politicians ask to get joining with another nation every time your team plays crap?

I am also interested is there any other teams in the world that is made up of two nations?

This reminds me a little of when ROI pled to have an additional (33rd) place created at the World Cup because Henri had scored by handling the ball and knocking ROI out. Your team is still affectionately known by Northern Ireland supporters to this day as ‘Team 33’

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Ireland just need to give up this football lark.

They're shyte.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The size of the island has nothing at all to do with how bad we are. Croatia has 4m people and got to the World Cup Final.

John Delaney, coaching in Ireland, and people's insistence on supporting foreign leagues over the domestic league are far bigger issues. How many politicians have spoken out about those issues? And how many have jumped in on photoshoots with Delaney down the years and said he's a great lad?

Usual politicians blathering on about something they know nothing about just to get their name in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Every time the Irish team has a bad spell, there are various pie-in-the-sky notions on how to remedy it, such as a 'Celtic Nations League', 'North Atlantic League', Irish teams ('Leinster' or 'Munster' style) in the Premier League, absurd restructuring of the domestic league, and so on, put forward by deluded people who have f**k all understanding of Irish football.

This is one such deluded notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Soccerball.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

downcow wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ireland-too-small-for-two-soccer-teams-and-should-be-all-island-side-ff-senator-1.4522867

Is this the ‘go to position’ every time the ROI football team have a particularly bad run? I can’t really decide whether it is, offensive, laughable, or just plain sad.

From my perspective, the most absurd quote I have heard in a long time is in this article.

Seanad leader Regina Doherty agreed that “it is something we should be talking about”. She told Senators it “probably should be less contentious” than some of the other topics in the Government’s Shared Island initiative

Although this quote in the same article, gives it a very close run.
    Mr Gallagher said “the reality is that for two small nations like Northern Ireland and the Republic to have two soccer teams on a small island, one island and expect them to compete at international level is simply not on anymore”

I have to disagree strongly with Regina Doherty. As a Unionist, but more importantly a Northern Ireland football supporter, her suggestion that this may be ‘less contentious’ is absurd. I wonder with Regina Doherty find it fairly uncontentious if England set about creating a British isles team to replace the five nations teams.

And I am genuinely interested, is it embarrassing as a ROI football fan when your politicians ask to get joining with another nation every time your team plays crap?

I am also interested is there any other teams in the world that is made up of two nations?

This reminds me a little of when ROI pled to have an additional (33rd) place created at the World Cup because Henri had scored by handling the ball and knocking ROI out. Your team is still affectionately known by Northern Ireland supporters to this day as ‘Team 33’

Yes - Every single other team sport played on the island of Ireland for a start.

Soccer is the anomaly here , not the norm.

Not disputing the thrust of the underlying argument - Suggesting they join up just because the current Republic team isn't competitive is a bit silly , but pretty much every other sport has a "whole island" approach in terms of how they run competitions , select representative teams etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Clueless from her. Makes sense practically when you take nothing else into consideration but NI supporters are fanatical about their team as are a lot of ROI supporters. I've gone to Windsor twice and there is still a sectarian element to some of the hard-core fans and this isn't likely to change in the short term. 10-15 years time then maybe but I genuinely think people who from the Republic don't have a clue how divided communities still are in some parts of NI. Any reunification project is going to be extremely difficult and a lot of hard work

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We are useless at soccer

People assume because the one nation rugby team is good then the one nation soccer team would also be.
    Interestingly, the IRFU predated the partition and remained a one nation team. The original "Ireland" soccer team was actually Northern Ireland and the IFA. The FAI and "ROI" team was created after partition. If there were to be "one team" again, it would be the northern team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

cdeb wrote: »
    The size of the island has nothing at all to do with how bad we are. Croatia has 4m people and got to the World Cup Final.

John Delaney, coaching in Ireland, and people's insistence on supporting foreign leagues over the domestic league are far bigger issues. How many politicians have spoken out about those issues? And how many have jumped in on photoshoots with Delaney down the years and said he's a great lad?

Usual politicians blathering on about something they know nothing about just to get their name in the papers.

John Delany and the football governance in Ireland is directly responsible for the LOI and coaching. The current set up doesn't inspire much confidence either but from the 80s and the growth in popularity of the sport, we've never made strides in the background to make us better equipped for long term success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Ireland just need to give up this football lark.

They're shyte.

Only because we effectively have a Phoenix park Sunday league manager

The Government should just ban it and then take the funding away from the oul' soccerball and instead put it directly into the prisons. Most of the followers will end up there anyway*

(*joking ......... well kinda half joking)

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    John Delany and the football governance in Ireland is directly responsible for the LOI and coaching. The current set up doesn't inspire much confidence either but from the 80s and the growth in popularity of the sport, we've never made strides in the background to make us better equipped for long term success
    Yep. And it's not just that the FAI have inadvertently if well-meaningly mismanaged it. They've actively been incompetent and dismissive of progressive coaching ideas because they know best.

This article - from 6½ years ago - makes depressing reading as a senior SFAI official says “What the **** would [the Spanish and German FA] know about Irish football?” when recommendations were put to them by the FAI's High Performance Director.

These idiots hold too much sway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I'm 40 and the only notable football event that I can remember was whatever happened at Italia '90 when I was 9.

What have we achieved since? Genuine question.

I'm 40 and the only notable football event that I can remember was whatever happened at Italia '90 when I was 9.

JD got 3 million from a crowd called FIFA because a French fella thought he was playing Junior B corner forward

National politics would be easy to overcome.

Footballing politics between the IFA and FAI would be impossible.

Qualified for two World Cups and two Euros, getting out of the groups three times in those four tournaments.

Won two European underage Championships and reached a World Cup semi-final at U20 level.

Got three teams to the EL groups in the past decade. Dundalk - managed by Stephen Kenny - were a whisker away from the CL groups in 2016.

That's decent stuff and we won't be doing it for a while to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

you would have to segregate the "home" fans

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What a hilariously depressingly accurate comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

downcow wrote: »

[/B]

No not really. Now what would be embarressing for a unionist like yourself would be knowing that the brits finally made up their mind to ditch ye after the DUP held Therese May's government to ransom a few years back.
    But don't worry we will treat ye every bit as fair as ye treated Nationalists when we have a ubited Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh the government should have told the FAI to go and whistle for a bailout, let them collapse and have the LOI teams go their own way free from Merrion Square.

Corner boys the lot

ELM327 wrote: »
    We are useless at soccer

People assume because the one nation rugby team is good then the one nation soccer team would also be.
    Interestingly, the IRFU predated the partition and remained a one nation team. The original "Ireland" soccer team was actually Northern Ireland and the IFA. The FAI and "ROI" team was created after partition. If there were to be "one team" again, it would be the northern team.

That's right. The FAI would have to disappear, the name anyway. Probably the HQ would be in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cdeb wrote: »

Do Croatia play GAA, Hurley and Rugby?

Our talent pool is spread across 4 big sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chiarrai19

'every time your team plays crap. How's your own team doing there? Or are you confused over the your own part. Typical of Unionists to point fingers and not offer any constructive input, think Brexit.

My own thoughts are we need to form a sort of feeder team within Ireland that competes within the Senior League and is an-Ireland approach. This would be backed by the appropriate funding and coaches and incentivizes young players to not make the trip abroad but rather form part of a team that grows and succeeds nationally and then internationally, backed up by younger premier league players lacking experience. Then use those home-grown players as a part of the Ireland under age setup and give them the option to join bigger teams should the opportunity present itself, maybe after the age of 25. That would similar to the route our best player took Seamus Coleman.

Back to the point of pointing fingers from our unionist friend, should what I propose be successful- you wouldn't be long jumping ship. That's for another day though I'll leave you to your deluded stance on everything and offering nothing to an argument, when's the last time Northern Ireland brought success or to your own words not 'played crap' 86, 82 don't remember anything else

ted1 wrote: »
    Do Croatia play GAA, Hurley and Rugby?

Our talent pool is spread across 4 big sports.
    Lots of countries play other sports. Do we play basketball or Olympic handball? They're huge in Croatia.

We need to get away from that line of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Let’s merge the two national teams. Then create 4 provincial sides maybe a 5th of just Dublin

Do the same in Scotland and Wales. And play a proper league and cup

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

begbysback wrote: »
    Only because we effectively have a Phoenix park Sunday league manager

In fairness, it's not just down to him. We have quite a few Phoenix Park Sunday league players too. Gone are the days when every player on the team was a Premier League player, very often with one of the bigger teams. Now every time a team sheet is published I have to look up at least a couple of the players to find out who they play for. We had a keeper who plays for Rochdale in the last game ffs. Admittedly he's on loan from Man City, but I don't see City rushing to give him first team football any time soon. And what would merging with NI actually achieve, they're not a million miles better than us at the moment anyway, it would just be like two Sunday league teams getting together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Let’s merge the two national teams. Then create 4 provincial sides maybe a 5th of just Dublin

We could do like the rugby. one 32 county team and of course we would select a couple of token ulster players to keep everyone happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Aegir wrote: »
    Footballing politics between the IFA and FAI would be impossible.

True, there'd be no chance if the farmers were involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Cream rises to the top. Problem is there is no cream.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many of the Unionist NI fans would vanish, some would go support Scotland and/or England (plenty of 'second team' stuff there already)

I know a guy who's dad played for NI in the mid 80s, huge Linfield fan - deeply wants an all-Ireland league as it could improve the quality and competitiveness but wouldn't even watch an international if it was an all-Ireland team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Every f*cling time. No! That's not how football works.

Advertisement