Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

• 29-03-2021 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭

Officer Derek Chavin goes on trial today charged with the homicide of George Floyd, if found guilty he is facing up to 40 years in prison.

The prosecution is largely based on the 9 minute long video of Chauvin pressing his knee into Floyds neck. The defence is going to claim that Chavin did nothing outside of his police training and that Floyds death came about because of drugs in his system and an underlying heart condition. The official autopsy found that his death was a homicide.

Witnesses include a then 17 year old girl who filmed the video on her phone and a police dispatcher who watched events unfold live on CCTV and alerted her supervisor about his treatment.

Its unknown if Chavin himself will take the stand. The trial will also open up answers about the previous relationship between Floyd and Chavin- they both worked as security together for a bar in Minnesota. The trial itself is expected to last 4-5 weeks. The other three police officers involved in the incident will face trial themselves in August.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Unfortunate what happened, trying to restrain a man that size who is high on stimulants would be problematic for anyone. Hopefully his mistake doesn't see him behind bars for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

On some occasions, I can have a fair degree of sympathy for police who made a split decision to pull the trigger only for it to turn out that the person wasn't armed. In the words of Springsteen, 'Is it a gun? Is it a knife? Is it a wallet? This is your life.' And I get that the police need a certain leeway, a certain degree of immunity, to be able to police properly.

But kneeling on somebody's neck for 9 minutes, as they tell you they can't breathe, as they then pass out and die...I believe there is absolutely no excuse for that, none whatsoever, no matter what the training manual might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,580 ✭✭✭✭walshb

osarusan wrote: »
    On some occasions, I can have a fair degree of sympathy for police who made a split decision to pull the trigger only for it to turn out that the person wasn't armed. In the words of Springsteen, 'Is it a gun? Is it a knife? Is it a wallet? This is your life.' And I get that the police need a certain leeway, a certain degree of immunity, to be able to police properly.

But kneeling on somebody's neck for 9 minutes, as they tell you they can't breathe, as they then pass out and die...I believe there is absolutely no excuse for that, none whatsoever, no matter what the training manual might say.

And he seemed to revel in doing it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Absolutely crazy mentality over in the states, such a weird culture to kill, riot and kill......

Nuts.

The guy was a career criminal, he was off his face on drugs which they believe he took as soon as cops showed up. They called for medical as they knew he wasn't right, he wouldn't comply, many a officer has been shot and killed even by one in hand cuffs.

He was most likely going to die either way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd expect Chauvin to not be convicted, perhaps a negligence charge in the end. His defense will probably be framed on Floyd's behavior prior to his death, and in previous arrests; and also that Chauvin followed his departments standard procedures from r restraining a combative suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I'd expect Chauvin to not be convicted, perhaps a negligence charge in the end. His defense will probably be framed on Floyd's behavior prior to his death, and in previous arrests; and also that Chauvin followed his departments standard procedures from r restraining a combative suspect.

I don't think he did follow the process though, and doesn't he have a spotty record too.
    Imagine he will get whatever the equivalent of manslaughter is in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd predict not guilty on anything in the murder category, it will be a fiery not guilty though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

No real loss to society.

You probably aren't much loss to society either, but I wouldn't want to see you dead for no real reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

walshb wrote: »

No excuse at all for the cop in that scenario.
    I didnt like the circus that the floyd family legal team created today before the trial. Long, drawn out speeches by legal team and family all along the lines of black man good - white man bad.
    It is not what is needed in this scenario - surely everything should be done to prevent riot type behaviour. Let the trial go ahead, let the cop get life in prison and let lessons be learned.
    There is nothing to be gained from riling up the black population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

walshb wrote: »

I think there was more to it than it being about race. I think they knew each other previously as they worked at the same club so there could be bad blood there . In the cops camera everything was going along normally till he started freaking out when they tried to put him in the squad car . So for everyone thinking he just arrested him and started kneeling on his neck it didn't just happen like that . I'm not trying to justify what the cop done but I don't think the cop will get done for murder , as murder has to be premeditated. I still think he'll get locked up though .

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    I'd predict not guilty on anything in the murder category, it will be a fiery not guilty though

I don't see how they can go with murder on it, but my god it will not be well received by the public.

Im personally predicting manslaughter unless they can truly hammer home the toxicology report evidence. The public won't like it but its the right thing to do, 8-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I hope he is found guilty. I hate to say that in case he is not guilty but I would say the violence that would happen afterwards would be horrible.

I think he probably is guilty but there are questions about the amount of drugs in his system.

I wouldn't like to be on the jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

mickdw wrote: »
    Let the trial go ahead, let the cop get life in prison and let lessons be learned.

Neither of those things will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Unfortunate what happened, trying to restrain a man that size who is high on stimulants would be problematic for anyone. Hopefully his mistake doesn't see him behind bars for life.

He killed the man unnecessarily.

He should go to prison for manslaughter at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Officer Derek Chavin goes on trial today charged with the homicide of George Floyd, if found guilty he is facing up to 40 years in prison.

The prosecution is largely based on the 9 minute long video of Chauvin pressing his knee into Floyds neck. The defence is going to claim that Chavin did nothing outside of his police training and that Floyds death came about because of drugs in his system and an underlying heart condition. The official autopsy found that his death was a homicide.

Witnesses include a then 17 year old girl who filmed the video on her phone and a police dispatcher who watched events unfold live on CCTV and alerted her supervisor about his treatment.

Its unknown if Chavin himself will take the stand. The trial will also open up answers about the previous relationship between Floyd and Chavin- they both worked as security together for a bar in Minnesota. The trial itself is expected to last 4-5 weeks. The other three police officers involved in the incident will face trial themselves in August.

Those things didn’t kill him in that moment though. The person kneeling on his neck did. But for the fact that a police officer happened to be kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes, slowly cutting off his oxygen supply to the degree that he could no longer breathe, he would not have died.

Can you imagine the craic if he gets off.

I'm not trying to justify what the cop done but I don't think the cop will get done for murder , as murder has to be premeditated. I still think he'll get locked up though .
    He's charged with 2nd degree murder, 2nd degree manslaughter, and 3rd degree murder, none of which require premeditation in terms of intent to murder.

Where they differ is whether the was an intent to harm (2nd degree murder), or whether there was 'depraved indifference' to the life of the victim (3rd degree).

I think if he is convicted of anything, it'll be 3rd degree murder.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He killed the man unnecessarily.

He should go to prison for manslaughter at the very least.

Thats what I think will happen, as I said an unfortunate accident while trying to restrain a drug crazed criminal resisting arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

I think the second witness for the state was terrible.....she came across as unreliable.....she couldn't remember this/that.... I thought she was an embarrassment for the state to have bothered putting her on the stand.....chauvan's lawyer was equally bad ...he seems to ramble on with each witness and not get anywhere......It does look like chauvan used excessive force....but looking at the police trying to get floyd into the police car it was obvious floyd was resisting arrest.......chauvan will pay a high price...not so sure he should do though.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

America is a toilet

if he is convicted regardless of the scentence blm will riot
    if he gets off blm will riot
    if its a mistrial blm will riot
    if its shown that he was going to die any way blm will riot
    if he Floyd was white ………..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Can you imagine the craic if he gets off.

Well if he gets off I hope the Minneapolis police dept have watched the documentary on the LA riots.

He's charged with 2nd degree murder, 2nd degree manslaughter, and 3rd degree murder, none of which require premeditation in terms of intent to murder.

Where they differ is whether the was an intent to harm (2nd degree murder), or whether there was 'depraved indifference' to the life of the victim (3rd degree).

How long would he do inside , if that's the case. I wouldn't like to be the judge trial , don't give enough of a sentence and it could be a long summer again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Yes I think it'll be third degree too. I'm surprised he didn't try for a plea bargain for third degree personally.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    What are the bets that those calling for this guy to get away with this killing are the same lads who want no Covid restrictions, call Trump the greatest US President, spend a lot of time talking about immigration and use the term "woke" a lot?

25 posts, I thought it would appear sooner, every damn thread.

How long would he do inside , if that's the case. I wouldn't like to be the judge trial , don't give enough of a sentence and it could be a long summer again.

https://news.sky.com/story/everything-you-need-to-know-as-derek-chauvin-goes-on-trial-for-murder-of-george-floyd-12243018
    Second-degree murder carries a sentence of up to 40 years in prison.
    Prosecutors will have to prove beyond reasonable doubt Chauvin caused Mr Floyd's death while committing or attempting to commit a related felony - third-degree assault here.
    They will not have to prove he intended to cause Mr Floyd's death.

Second-degree manslaughter has up to 10 years jail time.
    Prosecutors will have to prove beyond reasonable doubt Chauvin caused Mr Floyd's death by "culpable negligence" - that he created unreasonable risk and consciously chose to cause death or serious harm.
    Police are authorised to use force so prosecutors will have to prove the force he used was unlawful.

Third-degree murder can mean up to 25 years in prison. Prosecutors must prove Chauvin's actions caused Mr Floyd's death, and were reckless and without regard for human life.

I think the second witness for the state was terrible.....she came across as unreliable.....she couldn't remember this/that.... I thought she was an embarrassment for the state to have bothered putting her on the stand.....chauvan's lawyer was equally bad ...he seems to ramble on with each witness and not get anywhere......It does look like chauvan used excessive force....but looking at the police trying to get floyd into the police car it was obvious floyd was resisting arrest.......chauvan will pay a high price...not so sure he should do though.....

Would a witness matter much as everything is caught on camera ?

Like taxes and death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Oh, I think he will be done for the manslaughter charge then. And surprised he didn't try take a plea bargain for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yup! The truth hurts

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'd say there's a lot of political pressure to give him a stiff sentence . If he got a sentence of about 20 years it might cool all the hot heads. I think with covid and restrictions , the last thing politicians and cops in America want , is more rioting and death along with 2 billion worth of damage like they caused last year

Advertisement