Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commercial 4x4 or van for a vet

• 29-03-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Looking for a new vehicle - I'm a mobile vet (Small Animal only so not too many rough tracks/farms etc!).

€12k or under
    I need a fair amount of space for gear/drawers/inventory etc
    Space for a 2/3 dog transport crate
    Space to fit for transport (don't read if you're sensitive)
    bodies of relatively large dogs from in home euthanasia to crematorium
    Reliable and not mad money for repairs
    Mileage up to about 500km a week, bad week could be 1000km
    Commercial tax
    And the catch....it must be an automatic due to an old injury.

Suggestions gratefully received

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

No need for a full on 4x4 if you're not involved with big livestock. A medium sized van with a sliding side door would be a good possibility, as you can have a separate section for the dog crate and for the drawers perhaps at the rear, and then a section for transport in the middle part?

12k will get you a decent and reasonably fresh van. Transit custom like below are somewhat comfortable and plenty of space

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/ford-transit-custom-161-2lit/27564964

Maybe a touch bigger than you need but not any more costly to run than the next size down in a Partner sized van

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Happy to go with a van - I liked the Peugeot Partner I drove previously but finding an auto gearbox in budget is painful! The 4x4 is more for space, I'd consider anything shape wise to be honest!

Well to be honest there is no comparison between the van and 4x4 for space. My lwb commercial landcruiser had probably the best interior space in its class when it was new, and can take a good amount of stuff to very awkward places , but a Partner would be much more spacious and useful in your business I think. Loading height alone is awkward. While a small or older dog could easily step up into a van, not a hope of getting into a big 4x4 unaided.

The transit for me allows great versatility to have 2 compartments with a bulkhead in between if you got it fitted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ford kuga or similar, drop the seats or take out completely if needs be.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

A transit custom would be a nice size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s a pity the Caddy is so uncomfortable. A DSG Maxi would tick a few boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mercedes vito

Mercedes vito

Not a bad shout. Sizewise nearly as big as the transit, and easier to find an auto. Think the Ford's are thin on the ground in automatic

Are Vitos still junk though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I've never seen an auto van, must be rare as hens teeth.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are Vitos still junk though?

3rd gen 2015 on seem to be a good deal better.

Neighbour of mine has a 2017 one that's been sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No idea what the import from UK is like not for commercials with the third country status maybe do some research . You'd find far more vans over there witj Auto. You say you like the Peugeot so you'd also like the citreon Berlingo same van.

I'd stick with van rather than 4x4 if you want simple reliability and lower running costs. Check autotrader UK and research importing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I've never seen an auto van, must be rare as hens teeth.

More common than you would think

Drove a few VW transporters / caddy's over the years with auto boxs. Ford do have them in the transits too but not as common.

Peugeot and citroen do have them but I dunno how great the gearbox's are in them.

The renualt master do come in auto too but I know they are troublesome. (Had a guy before who had one, rip out the box and put a manual in. He did a lot of work to make it happen. Including new ECU etc.)

In terms of choice and availability for auto gearbox it's very likely you could end up with a commercial jeep as they would be more common.

For what you want though, I'd go with a small to medium van.

listermint wrote: »
    No idea what the import from UK is like not for commercials with the third country status maybe do some research . You'd find far more vans over there witj Auto. You say you like the Peugeot so you'd also like the citreon Berlingo same van.

I'd stick with van rather than 4x4 if you want simple reliability and lower running costs. Check autotrader UK and research importing now.

Something from the north that has be registered up there before the 1st of January 21 would be the best bet.

I’d suspect the PSA stuff would be an automated manual box rather than a proper automatic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭v0ldeMort

kia sorento, sportage or mitsubishi outlander? I see a lot of larger animal vets with the outlander. Sorento/sportage easy enough to get auto.

v0ldeMort wrote: »
    kia sorento, sportage or mitsubishi outlander? I see a lot of larger animal vets with the outlander. Sorento/sportage easy enough to get auto.

It’ll really come down to whether a commercial jeep type yoke will do the job well.

Thanks for suggestions. Space wise a van would be better for sure but the auto box is the sticking point. I'll look at NI imports but it's all as clear as mud to me with brexit. I've a Kira Niro for personal use and like it so a Sportage/Sorento might be a good shout if 4x4 is what I end up having to go with. I can't drive a manual for any length of time without a fair amount of pain and it's just not worth it being in and out of the car all day driving to calls to be miserable doing it as well!

I've seen an Auto Renault Kangoo van - any thoughts on that?

Springwell wrote: »
    I've seen an Auto Renault Kangoo van - any thoughts on that?

They’re a rotten van inside, even compared to the likes of a Berlingo.
    If it’s newer than 2017 it might have a DSG style box, but really, the interior is so bad that I would avoid altogether.

• Advertisement

It's a 2017 with decent spec. Will have a look but keep the reservations in mind. Pity, I had an Electric Renault Zoe for a while and it was a lovely little thing

The ergonomics on the Kangoo are awful, they have the Megane II style tiny indicator/wiper stalks which are plain unpleasant to use. The handbrake is a pointless aircraft thrust lever type setup, sound deadening is poor, then you have the awful hard plastic everywhere.
    There is a gulf between this and the most average of cars. It’s sub-Dacia really.

The only plus is that the seating position is high. I didn’t find the seats comfortable though.
    Even a Caddy, which is also uncomfortable, is pure luxury in comparison.

So... to update for anyone looking for similar. I bought the Renault! I actually liked the aforementioned tiny stalks for wipers etc but I'm a woman with small hands so maybe that's why they suit. Seats are comfy. Gearbox is excellent for what it is - very smooth.

It's a 2017 Formula Edition version and seems to have plenty of toys and very low mileage (under 50k) so went for it. Doesn't seem overly loud but I did go for Sortimo boxes/racks and Lintran Dog crates so that bit wasn't cheap

Advertisement