Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Comerman

I got one of these last year am happy enough for an amateur,h I'm looking at getting a Rotisserie Kit but there's no holes either end, can anyone shed any light on what can be used?
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2079091?clickSR=slp:term:6%20burner%20gas%20bbq:1:14:1

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Glebee wrote: »
    Is it any good??

Mine is a Phoenix 4 burner from woodies. Very happy with it. I have moved into a new house in December from an apartment and this thing has been used twice per week since then. One screw got loose in the cover, but very easy to fix.

See last steak cooked last week

Regarding the cover from previous posts. Some magnets that I got from Amazon offer extra security against the wind (not that I think it’s needed with this cover, but I had them from my previous one)

Magnet Expert 32mm dia Neodymium Clamping Magnet with M6 Eyebolt - 36.4kg Pull https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003MWAL5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_5KVJMJJAG4J4YVWRJHVQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got a 3 burner from Homestore and More, first BBQ so didn't want to get anything expensive. We'll see how we get on with this one.

At the risk of sounding stupid, is it just a matter of putting the regulator on, opening a valve and igniting the burners? Anything to look out for safety wise?

I should be looking for patio gas? Do they come with either butane or propane or just one type?

Looking to do a bit of practice with burgers and sausages. I see a lot of people are looking to do more than that but I'm starting from scratch. Any good tips for absolute beginners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Got a 3 burner from Homestore and More, first BBQ so didn't want to get anything expensive. We'll see how we get on with this one.

At the risk of sounding stupid, is it just a matter of putting the regulator on, opening a valve and igniting the burners? Anything to look out for safety wise?

I should be looking for patio gas? Do they come with either butane or propane or just one type?

Looking to do a bit of practice with burgers and sausages. I see a lot of people are looking to do more than that but I'm starting from scratch. Any good tips for absolute beginners?

I also got a cheap starter bbq as I'm into smoking more than gas, but the mistakes I made at the start were definitely

A: its hotter than you think, turn it down. Things go from looking raw to charcoal in about 3 minutes while you go looking for a beer
    B: reviews of my bbq pointed out uneven heat distribution and my god is that true, so you just have to learn where the hot spots are and keep moving stuff around to ensure they're done evenly
    C: get a meat thermometer if you don't already have one, really takes the guesswork out when you're starting (I have a few £3 ones from amazon as I dont want to put a chicken thermometer into beef etc.)

• Advertisement

I use propane. most Woodies have it. If you go to calorgas.ie it shows you suppliers around you (my local centra even has them). Cost of a 11 Kg unit is about 60 quid, and then 30 to refill it. They last quite a long time. I would always suggest to have 2, one full all the time. You definitely don't want the gas to run out and be stuck!

I found this website very useful. https://www.101cookingfortwo.com/easy-grilled-chicken-thighs/ I'm linking a chicken thighs recipe that is AMAZING. They have plenty of tips for gas grilling too.

A meat/grill thermometer is a MUST I use this one from Inkbird with fantastic results

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Am I the only one who leaves their grill out in the weather?

My last one (cheap jobbie) did rust away but it took over 10 years.
    I've just decided to leave my Broil King out, too. The exposed parts are mostly aluminium - that won't rust.
    Also an uncovered grill gets to dry out properly when it isn't raining.

In my limited experience of using a cover, I found it just kept the grill slightly damp all winter.

Anyone with me here??

I've just decided to leave my Broil King out, too. The exposed parts are mostly aluminium - that won't rust.

In my limited experience of using a cover, I found it just kept the grill slightly damp all winter.

Anyone with me here??

Gas grills are not sealed (plenty of holes in mine for ventilation), the water can come into contact with the cast iron grates and rust hem

Gas grills are not sealed (plenty of holes in mine for ventilation), the water can come into contact with the cast iron grates and rust hem

I, honestly, found that when covered, my grates tended to rust more - maybe that was down to the quality of the cover, though.

My current grill is out in all weather for 11 months, now - no sign of rust on the grates.

• Advertisement

I, honestly, found that when covered, my grates tended to rust more - maybe that was down to the quality of the cover, though.

My current grill is out in all weather for 11 months, now - no sign of rust on the grates.

Interesting! My grates rusted a little with the old s**te cover from woodies, but now with this one, everything is perfectly dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭thereitisgone

Anyone with me here??

Same, ok live in Finland where we have way less moisture but i grill or smoke all year round and sometimes have a foot of snow on the smokers when i smoke but zero problems
    I have had a cheap copy of the wsm bullet smoker out there for about six years uncovered and no rust
    I have a landmann gas grill which has ceramic coating for two years outside uncovered also no problems
    But before that i had cheap mustang brand gas grill and that did rust quite fast

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Aluminium "mould"?

tangy wrote: »
    Aluminium "mould"?

The lid of my grill is cast aluminium

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

See what happens, I suppose. It's just something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Any discounts on Weber Gas BBQs around?

My original Genesis 300 is about 14 years old and is rusting to bits, ill need to replace it for this season.

Where's the best place to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Pipmae

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Any discounts on Weber Gas BBQs around?

My original Genesis 300 is about 14 years old and is rusting to bits, ill need to replace it for this season.

Where's the best place to buy?

You'll be hard pushed to get a discount on a Weber. I bought mine around this time last year in Jones Garden Centre, Donabate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was in Jones' the other day and they have a great display. There's lots of stuff on back order though, they said it's a nightmare trying to get stock since Brexit and it's all selling very fast. We were looking for a ground mat for under the bbq and were lucky to get the last one - and they'd only come in recently.

I think there's a danger in waiting for a bargain because you might not get any if last year is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

The Garden House in Malahide were selling the Weber Q2200 for €299 the other week.

Edit: just had a look on their site and it looks like the offer is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

has anyone upgraded from a standard genesis 300 to one with the sear station burner (335 of 435) and is the sear station worth the extra cash?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

thejaguar wrote: »
    The Garden House in Malahide were selling the Weber Q2200 for €299 the other week.

Edit: just had a look on their site and it looks like the offer is gone

Coop Superstore selling this model at that price at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's a great price, most places like Woodies raised it to €349 last year after selling it for €299 for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Coop Superstore selling this model at that price at the moment.

Woodies are back doing the Weber Q2000 (no thermosat) for €299
    I picked this up last year, love it, perfect for a family of 4

https://www.woodies.ie/weber-q-2000-grill-with-stand-gas-bbq-titanium-1101969

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

ctlsleh wrote: »
    has anyone upgraded from a standard genesis 300 to one with the sear station burner (335 of 435) and is the sear station worth the extra cash?

cheers

I have the sear station on my genesis and use it quite often for steaks and rib roasts. It came with it, don't know if you can upgrade it afterwards though. it. also helps pre heat the bbq quicker

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

A complete BBQ novice here... for the first time ever, I finally have my own garden to BBQ in! With the warmer weather starting to roll in, I'd like to buy a BBQ, but gave NO idea what I'm doing.

We'll probably go for gas, just because it's easier. Does it taste as good as charcoal ones though or do you need to do anything extra to get that smokey flavour?

Anything in particular to look out for or avoid when shopping around?

woodchuck wrote: »
    A complete BBQ novice here... for the first time ever, I finally have my own garden to BBQ in! With the warmer weather starting to roll in, I'd like to buy a BBQ, but gave NO idea what I'm doing.

We'll probably go for gas, just because it's easier. Does it taste as good as charcoal ones though or do you need to do anything extra to get that smokey flavour?

Gas is very fast and easy to use. You can always add wood in a “smoking box” to add more flavor. I have a 4 burner one and it’s great.

Look for good build quality. I don’t know if the 1k+ for a Weber is worth it though. I paid around 500 for mine (woodies special offer last year) and I really like it. I’m buying a second charcoal kamado bbq now for the summer, but that’s just greed, my gas bbq is perfect for almost anything other than slow cooks (hours long)

Get a meat thermometer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I'm a complete novice too, only using my new bbq this week, but for me, I chose gas for the ease of use, and how quick I could get it going in the evening. For example I cooked steaks on it this evening after work - it was up to cooking temperature a lot quicker than charcoal would. There are ways to get the smokey taste into food when you need it.

Weber bbqs look amazing but I couldn't justify it until I knew I would use it a lot. I got this one in Argos:
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4162494/Trail/searchtext%3EGAS+BBQ.htm
    It was mentioned in a few online articles as being good value for money and budget. I did take 2 men 4 hours to assemble though.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

You wouldn’t have to break the bank to jump into a Weber pal, have a look at the below gas Weber in Woodies. I picked it up last summer and have been using it non-stop for the past 10 months, rain, hail or snow.... perfect for a family of 4

https://www.woodies.ie/weber-q-2000-grill-with-stand-gas-bbq-titanium-1101969

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I just bought a gas propane BBQ and have some propane cylinders, but the valve/regulators don't match. The BBQ seems to have a 'Patio Gas' regulator and the propane tanks are different. See pic below.
    propane_11kg.jpg

Is there a simple adapter to buy or should I get a different regulator or buy patio gas cylinders instead?

Sorry for the questions, but not familiar with gas at all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks for the advice guys, a lot of food for thought!

For the Weber one, I don't think it has a shelf inside? We're wondering if that's something worth having, so we can keep some food warm while other food is still cooking.

I also saw that homestore and more have a sale atm:
    https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/bbq-accessories
    They all seem to be the "master cook" brand. Any idea if those are any good?

Do BBQs generally come with a cover or is that something we'd need to buy separately?

Advertisement