Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I look for when picking a dealer on Chrono24?

• 29-03-2021 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭

I'm likely to be acquiring a "new/unworn" Rolex from a dealer on Chrono24 in the next couple of months. The watch I'm looking for is available from a variety of UK and EU dealers, so I'm looking to ensure I choose wisely:
    - plenty of feedback on Chrono24
    - uses Chrono24 escrow and eligible for buyer protection
    - is a B&M dealer with a premises
    - original box
    - original papers

I'm guessing I should probably avoid a UK dealer due to the risk of being hit for customs/VAT on import.

Anything else I should look for / avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You are defo thinking along the right lines. Chrono24 is a weird place. For starters the prices are very very high, generally more than 10% over market.

My general method is this:

1. Search the watch, limit the results to EU only (forget the UK thats over for the moment).
    2. Find a dealer with good feedback and a long history, more than 3 or 4 years on chrono. Be as suspicious of perfect feedback as terrible feedback, nobody pleases all the people all the time.
    3. Read all the feedback and translate it properly.
    4. Defo B&M dealers are more secure and you can find google and trust pilot feedback for them too.
    5. Search the forums for feedback like TZ.co.uk and Rolex forums.
    6. Now now go on ebay.ie, ebay.de and search for the same dealer, you will generally find the exact same watches at significantly lower prices. If there is a best offer make a offer on ebay and see what's what (its hard on Rolex, often the price is the price).
    7. Do the transaction through ebay with paypal or credit card...its just as secure and ebay buyer protection is pretty good, paypal or your credit card will insure the transaction for fraud. But you DD above should mean you have picked a dealer with a reputation to uphold anyway.

My last two watches were significantly cheaper on ebay than the same watch from the same dealer on Chrono24. Chrono need to work on their fee structure its far too high on low margin watches like Rolex. Sometimes you can do direct deals with Dealers to avoid ebay as well but that is a bit more risky. Always make sure the watch is available for purchase and is not just a stock photo fishing for a customer.

What Rolex are you after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Thanks Fitz.., it is comforting to hear I am along the right lines but I really appreciate the special sauce.

I’m scoping a blue Milgauss, planning to get an “unworn” 20/21 model.

I also have a dealer who obtains watches for my boss on the hunt for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Any dealer that cannot get that watch within an hour is not trying there are dozens on chrono new/unworn from 9400 euro. I would expect a little over 9k is around on the money for one. Very nice watch BTW.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Rolex-Milgauss-116400GV-Stahl-Automatik-Uhr-2017/133691181825?hash=item1f209d8b01:g:TGQAAOSwm9dgS42f

They have a best offer on that too and I bought a Patek from them last month very good service, big operation. Its not new but they service them before shipping.

Advertisement