Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"And why do we fall Bruce?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Monday 22nd- 10 miles GA

Lunch time run around my go to loop with few other bits added in to make up the distance. Had an intention of attempting the high risk progression challenge but Mile 2 beeped in at exact same time as the first mile so parked that idea and just kept things simple! Average of 7:45 min/mile.

Tuesday 23rd- 9 miles GA

Step back week so no Lactate Tuesday session but more GA miles. Supposed to be 8 but my loop is 9 so no big deal.
    Part way through the second mile i decided to adjust and have another attempt at the high risk progression. 2 second progression on the first split and again with the next one. Bang on a second down for the next one but totally lost concentration for the next one and ended up a second up so binned the attempt again :rolleyes:
    Only notable thing about the run was a pine martin jumping out of a ditch right beside me! I was a bit of a nature lover as a kid but never seen a pine martin in the flesh but there must be an explosion in numbers locally as they are pretty common road kill on my local roads.
    Run done again bang on 7:45 min/mile.

Wednesday 24th- 9 mile endurance run

Around my go to loop yet again (I can't wait for the 5k restriction to be lifted!).

Can't remember anything too exciting about this one, no close encounters with nature anyway! Hit the 3 pace zones bang on. Enjoyable trek around.

Thursday 25th- 7 miles with 3 sets of 4 x 200m

In the office today so decided to chance a lunchtime run.
    Just over 2 miles to get warmed up and then into the first set of intervals. The very first rep was uphill and just up ahead i can see a lady struggling up it on a mountain bike. My watch starts the countdown beep for the end of the first rep just as I'm about to pass her so i keep going for an extra 5 seconds to avoid looking like a stalker! Finish out the first set fine through the forest road (reps are 4:52, 4:58, 5:05, and 5:07 off a target of 5:10).
    Back out onto the main road just as i start the second rep and boy is it windy!

The second set is done in 4:44, 5:02, 4:56, and 5:08 (getting the feel of a required pace isn't a strong point of mine!) Feeling that set so walk the 30 second recovery before breaking into the 4 minute recovery jog.

The third set was a killer with a really strong headwind being strengthened further by the oncoming main road traffic. First one wasn't too bad being downhill but next 2 were uphill and last one was horrible where i was pretty much running on the spot as a couple of artic trucks passed me! These sets came in at 5:09, 5:08, 5:12, and 5:30 :rolleyes:

Another short walk recovery before finishing it out back in the office carpark.
    God i hate when its windy!

Friday 26th- 11 mile endurance run

Mrs CBG is working nights this weekend so brought this one forward a day to fit it in. Out and about before the kids were due home from half day before mid term break.
    Chanced heading out without a rain jacket despite it not looking too nice out. Into mile 2 and the hail stones arrive but nowhere near as bad as the buffeting i got a few weeks earlier! Very quiet out on the loop but an enjoyable run up to mile 7 before moving up to sub 7 min/mile pace for the last 4 miles when it starts lashing rain. I actually enjoy running in the rain so its a nice way to finish it up!

Saturday 27th- 5 miles @ easy

Handy trot at 8:30 min/mile pace out and back along the N5 before Mrs CBG has to go to work. Have the entire road pretty much to myself, eerily quiet!

In other news after a lot of humming and hawwing the last couple of months I reached out to some online coaches. Spoke to very nice guy Saturday night (an immediate plus to him was he spared me almost the whole Luxembourg debacle! My eldest actually had tears in his eyes when I went into the sitting room in the 89th minute).
    Was very impressed with his sheer enthusiasm so said I'd dip my toe in the water and try something different and see how things go. Simultaneously nervous and excited about what lies ahead! Into a base building type schedule to start with (I'll do almost anything to get out of running a 5k :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck with the coaching J, now is a great time to be trying new stuff & it's great having someone else sort out all your runs for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I'll do almost anything to get out of running a 5k :pac:

Don't worry, you'll be setting plenty of 5k PBs in training ;)

Treviso wrote: »
    Don't worry, you'll be setting plenty of 5k PBs in training ;)

I think you are entitled to a "recommend me to a friend" discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Oh interesting. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Do you mind be asking who is your coach?

Oh interesting. Best of luck with it.

Thanks D. Hope the rehab is going to plan for ya and we see you back soon.

MY BAD wrote: »
    Do you mind be asking who is your coach?

Not at all. John Starrett is his name. Treviso gave him a glowing reference and the proof has been in his times this year.
    In the current times I just said why not and it should help keep up the enthusiasm and motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

A excellent coach. All the best, great things to come

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the coaching J - interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement

Monday 29th- 8 miles @ easy

Nice handy introduction to the new training plan! Pre run stretches is a new discipline to get used to although it was only a minute or 2 of doing the lunge matrix.
    Handy loop around the bog on the way home from work averaging 8:27/mile.

Tuesday 30th- 8 miles with 20 mins @ 6:30/mile pace

Pre lunch run. Lovely day out, sunny and warm and even during the warmup i had a decent sweat going already. The watch beeps down the end of the 20 minute warm up and I'm into it. Not great timing as I approach a small hill and a mark of how bad I am at judging pace is that early into the first mile I check the watch to see 7:00 being the lap pace while upping it a bit leads it to show 6:00 pace shortly after!
    Settle into it after that and keep it consistent and splits are 6:29, 6:30, 6:26 and 6:22 for the small carry over to make the 20 mins.
    20 minute cool down to finish up during which 8:00/mile pace feels like just above walking pace all of a sudden.

Thursday 1st- 8 miles @ easy

Same route as Monday and just as handy. Average pace of 8:28/mile.

Friday 2nd- 8 miles @ easy

Jaunt over the Shannon into Clondra and up along the Royal Canal before looping back into the village. Went this route on spur of the moment just for something else to look at. Another scorcher of a day but the canal walk was still pretty quiet. Still had time for a close encounter with a small dog who snuck up behind me and then started into barking and trying to nip my ankles, Luckily he wasn't built for endurance and soon fell back!
    Average of 8:27/mile.

Saturday 3rd- 11 miles with 40 mins @ 6:50/mile pace.

Gentle ish introduction to the long runs on the plan. Headed out after doing the shopping in town. Beautiful morning out around the bog loop. 20 minute warm up including some strides and then into it. Bit of jostling early on to fall into the correct pace but was fine after that and the 40 mins sped by. Splits were pretty bang on give or take a few seconds under. 20 minute cool down to finish it up.

Bang to plenty of time to see Chelsea inexplicably lose at home to WBA and finish my run in Last Man Standing!
    Finished Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy over a couple of Bulmers that evening. Very good but I would prefer No Country for Old Men or The Road.

Sunday 4th- 8 miles @ easy

Out over the Shannon again and into Clondra but down a long cul de sac this time just for something else to have a nose around at! Nothing too exciting to report. Average of 8:24/mile.

Second week is more of the same with a bit more time added to the Tuesday and Saturday sessions. Could get used to the easy running on 4 days though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Nice week, and well done on surviving the dog!
    Finished Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy over a couple of Bulmers that evening. Very good but I would prefer No Country for Old Men or The Road.

The Road is one of the grimmest books I’ve ever read in my life! Great book, but you wouldn’t feel too joyous afterwards :p

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Nice week, and well done on surviving the dog!

The Road is one of the grimmest books I’ve ever read in my life! Great book, but you wouldn’t feel too joyous afterwards :p

Thanks V!

Yeah its a long time since I read The Road but it's grim alright. Should have said that the only reason I read Blood Meridian was that I was coming off te back of another western genre book- Lonesome Dove.
    It's plot of following a cattle drive across hundreds of miles in America doesn't sound too exciting but it's one of best stories I've ever read, would encourage anyone to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yeah its a long time since I read The Road but it's grim alright. Should have said that the only reason I read Blood Meridian was that I was coming off te back of another western genre book- Lonesome Dove. It's plot of following a cattle drive across hundreds of miles in America doesn't sound too exciting but it's one of best stories I've ever read, would encourage anyone to read it.

Interesting, yet another for the list :)

Monday 5th- 8 miles @ easy

The most notable thing about this run was the weather. We had a BBQ on Saturday but it was Baltic out today. There was actually a small flurry of snow about 3 miles into the run!
    Just out and about on local roads the wrong side of the Shannon! Took in running past the old Atlantic Milling building. Was one of the biggest floor area factories in the country 30 odd years ago but all closed up and derelict looking now, was a big local employer, pity.

Tuesday 6th- 20 & 10 mins @ 6:30

Felt even colder today if that's possible. Stuck my nose out the door and retreated to the side of the house out of the wind to do my warmup stretches!

Out around the bog loop for this. 20 minute warm up with some strides at the latter end and then into the first block. Did my usual thing of being way too fast to start but soon settles into it. Had to lift the effort a bit in the 3rd mile as I was out into open country and there was a strong very cold head wind but finished them all at 6:28.
    5 minute recovery and then into the 10 minute block. Again controlled enough and finished the last 2 minutes being battered by hail, lovely. 6:29 for both of these splits. 20 minute cool down (if it was even necessary!) to finish up.

Thursday 8th- 8 miles @ easy

Handy one around the bog loop after work. Nicer weather for this one. Threw in 4 20 second strides around the halfway mark but nothing too exciting other than that.

Friday 9th- 8 miles @ easy

Another handy up and around the local roads. Fly tipping watch today discovered an old ironing board and one of those Henry hoovers :rolleyes:

Saturday 10th- 50 mins @ 6:50

Started into this one after doing the weekly shop, wiping it all down and putting it away.
    30 minute warm up to start. Handy enough but it might be on the long side as my legs start to feel complacent that this is going to be the height of today's exertion! Throw in a few strides towards the end of the 30 minutes just to knock that idea out of them.
    The 50 minute phase is nice and relaxed, I'm enjoying the slow build up to training but I'm fully aware the pain train will be slowly arriving over the next few months. 30 minute cool down to finish up at 14.7 miles which I think is probably my longest run since virtual Dublin marathon.

Sunday 11th- 8 miles @ easy

Lovely morning out for this one. I take in the old main road and have it all to myself. Nice and relaxed way to finish the week.

Given the week that's in it, my ear worm for most of these runs was:

Monday 12th- 8 miles back @ easy

Kids back to school today :) Did this one as soon as I got home from dropping them off. Handy one around some of the local roads. Nothing too exciting about it, did I mention kids are back at school!

Tuesday 13th- 20 and 15 mins @ 6:30 pace

Lovely sunny morning out for this one. Around the bog loop for this one with extra bits added on to make up the time. Prefer loops to out and backs.
    20 minute warm up including a few strides and then into the first 20 min 6:30 pace block. Pretty comfortable the whole way pretty much having to slow down in the last minute of each mile to meet the required pace. 6:29, 6:28 and 6:27 for these miles. 5 minute recovery and then into the 15 minute block. Again it was relatively comfortable and the miles came in at 6:28, 6:26 and 6:27 for the small bit. 20 minute cool down and that's another session down (relatively easy one I know!).

Thursday 15th- 8 miles @ easy

Handy one around bog loop with a few strides thrown in just after the halfway point. Pretty unremarkable run, not a sinner out even though the sun was shining!

Friday 16th- 1 hour @ 6:50 pace

Mrs CBG is working this weekend so brought the long run forward 2 hours to fit it in. Another lovely day out if a bit on the breezy side. 30 minute warm up with some strides in the last 5 mins and then into the 1 hour block. Took in the bog loop again and then hit up the old N5 and had it all to myself. Kept it reasonable consistent the whole way round, I'd say i had to slow down inside the last minute of each mile to bring paces back up towards 6:50, not a big slacking off in pace but just did it to try and keep the mile splits consistent.

Not been up the full length of the old N5 as it goes outside my 5k but that doesn't matter now. Almost missed the long drag towards the end of it. But what goes up must come down so the last 2 miles of the block were handy out.
    30 minute cool down to finish with just over 16 miles for the day.

Saturday 17th- 8 miles @ easy

6am start to this one to get it done before Mrs CBG headed off for work. Bit on the dark side so stuck the high viz on for safety but 10 minutes into the run I could have ditched it. Took in the same route as Monday which needless to say was ultra quiet!

Sunday 18th- 8 miles @ easy

Another 6 am start but not as enticing out this morning. Dark, dreary and wet. Stuck on a long sleeve top but had to forego the rain jacket for fear of waking herself with be opening drawers in the dark!
    Barely even a car out this morning and think I only seen activity in 1 house the whole way around! Glad I did it though as I know I would have regretted skipping it later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'd say coach will knock 5-10 secs off your future splits if he reads this! (And he does)

I'd say coach will knock 5-10 secs off your future splits if he reads this! (And he does)

I'm in the clear for another week anyways!!

Monday 19th- 8 miles @ easy
    Just around the local Clonmore loops. Nothing too exciting or notable about it!

Tuesday 20th- 2 x 20 mins @ 6:30

Another 5 minute progression from last weeks run. Back around the bog loop and Clonmore loop to make up the 1:25 total session time.
    Passed over River Feorish to start into the bog loop, first fisherman of the season out today. Had to smile to myself passing his car, an 04 Avensis which had one of those anti theft bars on the steering wheel. A rural back road in Roscommon, ya would have been safe with the door left open and keys in the ignition!
    Shortly afterwards I passed a couple of lads eating sambos out of the boot of their car, absolutely no idea what that was about as the car had passed me about 5 mins earlier on the main road. Almost had to do a double take to see if there was a behind closed doors inter county GAA game on!
    Finished up the 20 minute warm up with the usual 5 x 20 second strides and then into the first 20 minute block. Of course i started way too fast as usual with the pace after a minute being in 5:30 territory! Settled into it afterwards but had to slow at the end of each mile to bring it back in line with target pace. Splits were 6:31 (Slowed too much going up a hill at the very end of this mile!), 6:26, 6:24, and 6:26 for small extra bit.
    Stopped to tie a lace that had become undone halfway thru the previous 20 minute block but didn't want to stop and break stride and soon enough the 5 minute recovery was up.
    Second 20 minute block was mostly into a bit of a headwind, nothing too strong though. Reasonably comfortable again with splits of 6:27, 6:26, 6:24, and 6:19 for the extra bit.
    20 minute cool down to finish up with 8:00 pace barley feeling more than a fast walk!

Thursday 22nd- 8 miles @ easy

Just a straight out and back on the main road heading west. Through in a few strides on the homeward journey just to mix things up.

Friday 23rd- 8 miles @ easy

Another handy one around Clonmore loop with a bit extra added on to make up the extra time to get to 8 miles.

Saturday 24th- 13+ miles with 40 mins @ 6:45

Beautiful morning for this one. Really warm and barely a ripple of wind out.
    30 minute warm up in the bog loop again with strides thrown in during the last 6 minutes and then into it. Made a conscious effort to try and moderate the pace at the start instead of tearing into it and managed it reasonably well this time. First half of the run was grand, Second part a bit tougher but nothing major as the wind actually picked up. Splits were 6:42, 6:38 (day dreamed though the end of this one instead of slowing a bit!), 6:43, 6:42, 6:43, and 6:42.
    30 minute cool down with the only issue being stinging eyes from a mix of sweat and sun cream, nice complaint to have!!

Sunday 25th- 8 miles @ easy

Had my wife's 2 nieces (3 and 2) over for the previous day and sleep over so this was a nice mental recovery run more than a physical one!!
    Headed east bound this time on the spur of the moment as heading into a strong headwind so knew I'd have it extra handy on the homebound journey.
    4 miles brought me right bang up to Longford Town FC ground. Hopefully we might get into a game before the season is over!!

Well done to everyone that took part in the Boards 5k TT. Was great reading a series of "race" reports again.

Given that AMK ratted my log out, sections of it may now be heavily redacted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

If AMK managed to rat your log, then you've done yourself no favours by saying "had to slow at the end of each mile to bring it back in line with target pace" or "Second part a bit tougher but nothing major as the wind actually picked up".

Cleverly though, you update your log after the training is issued :D

• Advertisement

If AMK managed to rat your log, then you've done yourself no favours by saying "had to slow at the end of each mile to bring it back in line with target pace" or "Second part a bit tougher but nothing major as the wind actually picked up".

I really should have done a bit of proof reading, I also appeared to have redacted the wrong bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Given that AMK ratted my log out, sections of it may now be heavily redacted :pac:

The eyes are everywhere - there is no hiding place!

Mon 26th- 8 miles @ easy

Lovely sunny morning out for a loop of the bog. 04 Avensis fisherman was back with his fort knox lock. First of the turf machines back in action too. Will probably be a thing of the past in the near future.

Tues 27th - Session Day

Took the usual route around the bog and clonmore loop for this one. Usual warm up with strides towards the end and into the first 20 minute block at 6:30 pace. Bloody swirly wind out for this one which made it far from enjoyable. Must be reasonably consistent though as I've hit the exact same finish point for the warm up and 20 minute interval each of the last few weeks! Splits were 6:27, 6:29, and another 6:29.
    5 minute recovery run into the wind and then into the 10 minute block at 6:25. Started off way too quick despite the head wind so was able to coast most of the last 400 metres of the first split to do it in 6:24. Same thing for the second split but annoyingly coasted a bit too much to finish it out and this split was 6:26.
    3 minute recovery and then into the 2 5 minute intervals at 6:20 pace. These were much easier, more so mentally than anything. Ya feel like ya have barely started and ya already have a decent portion of it done by time you first look at the watch. It also helped that the wind played ball for these intervals and had it at my back. Splits were 6:17 and 6:19.
    20 minute jog back home as a cool down afterwards. Noticeably tougher than last weeks session but still reasonably comfortable.

Thursday 29th- 8 miles @ easy with a few strides

Remember absolutely nothing about this one :rolleyes:

Friday 30th- 8 miles @ easy

Another one with no standout moment!

Saturday 1st-60 mins @ 6:45 pace

My daughters stage school classes are now back in group sessions rather than over zoom so up early to get this run done.
    Went to bed a lot later than planned the previous night thanks to Mark Slowby's antics in the snooker and took me ages to eventually fall asleep.
    Headed into Longford town or rather around it for this one. Not done this route in a good 6 months I'd say.
    Wasn't feeling the love the whole way through the 30 minute warm up and the first couple of miles felt a bit forced at the 6:45 pace. After that I caught sight of 3 runners ahead of me so reeling them in made things easier and even after passing them the rest of the miles in the 60 minutes felt grand. Splits were 6:44, 6:46, 6:42, 6:41, 6:43, 6:41, 6:43, 6:41, and 6:42.

Finished the day with 16.33 miles in the bag which is my longest run of 2021 to date.

Sunday 2nd- 8 miles @ easy

Handy run around clonmore and then back into my village. Around the harbour to finish off and my stomach is rumbling from all the bbqs being prepared.
    Make do with one of our home reared roast lamb dinners instead, Not bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Selby....bringing Park the Bus to snooker. Rotten negative stuff. I just can't warm to him at all.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Selby....bringing Park the Bus to snooker. Rotten negative stuff. I just can't warm to him at all.

Yeah I'd be exact same S. Pains me to say it but I think he and not Ronnie will be the one to break Hendry's record of world titles.
    This God's of Snooker short series starting on bbc2 next Sunday night looks essential viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Him and that sort of approach to the game will be the death of snooker.

Horrible stuff!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yeah I'd be exact same S. Pains me to say it but I think he and not Ronnie will be the one to break Hendry's record of world titles.
    This God's of Snooker short series starting on bbc2 next Sunday night looks essential viewing!

I'll be watching that! Hopefully Trump can stop him. As an aside do you follow Ronnie on Strava? He absolutely loves his running. I think he has a 34:xx pb for 10k :eek:

I'll be watching that! Hopefully Trump can stop him. As an aside do you follow Ronnie on Strava? He absolutely loves his running. I think he has a 34:xx pb for 10k :eek:

I check his activity every now and then alright. I read his last autobiography which funnily enough is called Running and is almost more about his love of running and doing 10k races than snooker!
    I think his 10k PB is from about 10 years ago but he is training now to get back to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Him and that sort of approach to the game will be the death of snooker.

Horrible stuff!!

TbL

Is it still alive? I thought it died about 20 years ago. ;)

• Advertisement

Mon 3rd- 8 miles @easy

Hard to believe that people were lighting up bbqs on my run yesterday. Horrible wet and windy morning. I waited out the worst of it and headed off after dropping the bins to the top of the road. Headed west into the wind along the N5 for the first half.
    Got well soaked during the first couple of miles and just like that the rain stopped and the sun came out. Easy return journey with a strong wind behind me. My rain jacked was actually bone dry by time i got home!

Tues 4th- Session

Another horrible morning out so waited it out a few hours and avoided the worst of it. Usual warm up and strides before the first 20 minute at 6:30 pace block. First mile was grand after the customary fast start but with the wind blowing strongly side on i knew the next 2 miles would be tough along the open bog road once i turned 90 degrees into it. So it proved to be and effort levels had to ratchet up to keep target pace but the splits came in at 6:28. 6:27 and 6:25. Very tempting to just do a 180 halfway thru to make it handy but would only be kidding myself.
    5 minute recovery run and then into the 4 x 5 minute intervals at 6:20 pace. First 2 were fine with the wind now side on again. 3rd one was handy with the majority of it assisted by tailwind. Fourth had to up effort again with a headwind but was well sheltered this time so not too bad. Splits were 6:18, 6:19, 6:18, and 6:17.
    20 minute cool down to finish during which my luck with the scattered rain showers finally ran out and i got well drenched!

Thurs & Friday- 8 miles @easy

Same route around the bog for these. Day dreamed through the Thursday run and forgot about the strides to be done at the halfway point so ended up doing them in the last mile before i got back to the car.

Sat 8th- 40 min @ 6:40 pace

Pretty much the same route as Tuesday's session but only a light wind to deal with this time. Reasonably comfortable for the 40 minutes, just had to slow it towards the end of each mile. Splits were 6:39, 6:37, 6:40, 6:38, 6:37, and 6:36. One of my toenails was bit sore whole way around from cutting it a bit tight so ended up having an ingrown effect but its fine today thankfully.

Sun 9th- 8 miles @easy

2 county and 2 province easy run around. 4 seasons in the 1 hour during this run! Unreal weather. The gritter was actually out one night here, its bloody May like!

Advertisement