Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cattle trailer

• 27-02-2021 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a second hand cattlewhich I intend pulling with a tractor, I don't have a jeep.

I will only be using this trailer a couple of times a year so I don't want to spend an awful lot of money on one

The cheapest ones that I can see advertised are something like this where the wheels are underneath.

I have heard that these are not a great job, I'm just wondering would it do my job given that I won't be using it a lot?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cattletrailers-for-sale/12x6-ifor-williams-demountable-cattle-box/27070749

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭emaherx

Tomjim wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a second hand cattlewhich I intend pulling with a tractor, I don't have a jeep.

I will only be using this trailer a couple of times a year so I don't want to spend an awful lot of money on one

The cheapest ones that I can see advertised are something like this where the wheels are underneath.

I have heard that these are not a great job, I'm just wondering would it do my job given that I won't be using it a lot?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cattletrailers-for-sale/12x6-ifor-williams-demountable-cattle-box/27070749

Would you not be better off looking at a tractor trailer?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

emaherx wrote: »
    Would you not be better off looking at a tractor trailer?

A tractor trailer will probably be a good bit more expensive although it would have extra capacity and stand up to general wear and tear better over time.

As regards the OPs suggestion I think it would be fine for there intended purpose especially if it's only going to be used occasionally. Those trailers are more prone to overturning if not handled correctly but that shouldn't be a problem if driven with due care. Those smaller tyre's require higher pressure and can prove troublesome as regards punctures although some of them were fitted with solid rubber wheels. You should be able to pick up something in reasonable condition around €2,000 especially seeing as brakes wouldn't be as important compared to a trailer that would be going behind a jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

If you do get one with underslung wheels make sure the trailer is level on your tractor as those tyres have a habit of bursting on tight turns under load.
    Grand trailer though. If you are working on major roads or lanes then underslung are fine, otherwise I'd go for the wheels on the outside as its a much more stable trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Charolois 19

Just after picking up a new to me cattle trailer last week 12 x 5 ifor t.a , I was originally planning to buy a d.p but the over turning thing put me off and also I'm led to believe that they are not the best going through a field, which is a nessasary evil for me by times, but if its any addition to you, I just checked done deal regularly each day, and sat with the cash waiting until the right trailer came up, id not be using a cattle trailer regularly I suppose like yourself, but im glad I held out, and I bought at very close money to what was in the ad you put in your post, but moral of the story is if you hound done deal ect you will find what your looking for, mind you I was 3 months looking ��

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Hershall

I see Tufmac have a 16 ft. X6 jeep trailer on the market now anybody on here buy one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Hershall wrote: »
    I see Tufmac have a 16 ft. X6 jeep trailer on the market now anybody on here buy one?

Porter, Hudson, Profit, Crooks and Tuffmac all offer them in recent year's. The most popular one locally seems to be Porter and like all there products they look very well engineered. I know a few lad's that have them and most would be mainly sheep dealer's so they wouldn't be hauling serious weight compared to if it was full of cattle.

From a legal perspective there redundant unless you were filling them with pet lambs due to being over weight when full. Even if you were to tow them with a tractor your still bound by the hitch being only rated to 3500kg. I've often thought that a 4.2 Toyota Amazon would be a fair combination towing a 16 foot Porter but you'd still be totally illegal when loaded and you'd bring more stock, burn less diesel and stay within the bounds of the law by running a mid sized lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

I kept a search on Done deal it took a few months, like yourself I only needed the trailer a few times a year pulled by tractor. I eventually got an Ivor Williams 12x6 wheels on outside for € 1600 . Time and patience paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

Any opinion? I was going to buy a jeep trailer but they’re fairly dear and still only hold 6 fat cattle. At least this would hold around 10+big bullocks or 50+ fat lambs.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cattletrailers-for-sale/bracken-livestock-trailers/27452404

I've looked at them before online. The lower floor a a great idea and makes loading and stability a lot better.
    The main thing i don't like about it is that I'd prefer if they blended the inner wheel arch more into the side of the trailer. It looks like something that could trip up an animal and I wouldn't want an animal down in a trailer if it could be avoided.
    Edit: - I should say I've no knowledge of this happening nor have I seen one in the flesh - just basing of the photos. It may well be fine and a non-issue - it's just a feature I'm not keen on.

I'd also want a solid roof so that it could double up over winter as a place for some straw bales or something. But that's just me - I like to get a few uses out of machines if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Any opinion? I was going to buy a jeep trailer but they’re fairly dear and still only hold 6 fat cattle. At least this would hold around 10+big bullocks or 50+ fat lambs.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cattletrailers-for-sale/bracken-livestock-trailers/27452404

a lot of money for a trailer ....

• Advertisement

When buying new its not much more expensive than an Ifor Williams.
    Second hand tractor drawn livestock trailers are rarely in any sort of decent shape. Those that are command a high price that would make you consider new if you can work with your accountant.

I gave over €1000 in haulage last year. It’s a lot of money. Very few second hand trailers out there. An Ivan Willy would be half that but it’s still a small tractor trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Strong money for that trailer but it does look well built, and if so it's a lifetime job.
    I will eventually buy something like this, but not for a while yet, going to sort out things like an outside crush which will add a huge ammount of convienience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Friend here buying a new 14 ft nugent with slurry tank for 7 or 7 and a half incl vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Friend here buying a new 14 ft nugent with slurry tank for 7 or 7 and a half incl vat.

We gave 5300 inc VAT for a new 12X5’10 Murphy in 2017

I’m not interested in owning a jeep. I could spend 4K on a jeep trailer that would only hold 5 or 6 fats. 10 is a nice load.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Hershall

Jb1989 wrote: »

He got a good deal at that rate I priced one last wek 8,200 without a tank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Hershall wrote: »
    He got a good deal at that rate I priced one last wek 8,200 without a tank

She actually :). Somewhere in Northern Ireland I'd say. I'll ask her where next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,043 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

red bull wrote: »
    I kept a search on Done deal it took a few months, like yourself I only needed the trailer a few times a year pulled by tractor. I eventually got an Ivor Williams 12x6 wheels on outside for € 1600 . Time and patience paid off.

If you're drawing cattle you need them 6ft wide, bigger cattle can't turn in a 5ft wide but it doesn't stop them trying and can damage the trailer when they get wedged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

I beg to differ. Price the conventional ones like Broughan etc which are 2 to 3k more. These ones are very versatile and might suit a smaller operator. Some of the bigger ifor ones are not far off that price either.

Edit : Road compliant and a trailer for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

the trailers that have the wheels underneath, what kind of tyres are they ie does air go into them all or is there is a different type of tyre available?

Brakes?

I'd have my doubts but the OP seems determined to keep budget low! Won't get as much trailer for the money elsewhere. If it was me, I'd go for the aforementioned new ones though the piece over the wheel would annoy me!

Imo you need a budget of 4k to get anything worthwhile for behind a tractor. The speed you'll lose on a tractor has to be made up for with a bigger load or you'd be all day drawing any amount of cattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

jd_12345 wrote: »
    I'd have my doubts but the OP seems determined to keep budget low! Won't get as much trailer for the money elsewhere. If it was me, I'd go for the aforementioned new ones though the piece over the wheel would annoy me!

Imo you need a budget of 4k to get anything worthwhile for behind a tractor. The speed you'll lose on a tractor has to be made up for with a bigger load or you'd be all day drawing any amount of cattle!

You'd get over the wheel thing. I have something similar, no issues. Not everyone wants a jeep either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Brakes?

Fred flinstones by the look of it

kk.man wrote: »
    You'd get over the wheel thing. I have something similar, no issues. Not everyone wants a jeep either.

Oh i know not everyone wants a jeep and the extra maintenance with a jeep but imo you're better off getting someone in to draw your cattle than going any sort of distance with an 8x5 or 10x5ft10 or something similar behind a tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

jd_12345 wrote: »

It a compromise if you do not want a jeep. I buy 60 cattle and sell about 60 cattle a year. I have a RAV and and 8x5 trailer. If I can get any few cattle in a mart I try to get transport home. If not I have to collect them. 8.5k is a lump of money I could spend elsewhere.

In OP's case a jeep iS not an option. He is probably not shifting many cattle, maybe a bit of fragmented land. A 12X6 box will carry 4 cows and there calves, it will shift 10-12 250-300 kg weanlings or 7-8 handy stores.

You will buy a fairly decent second hand box for 1500 euro, you might have to tidy up one to two bits on it but if the local mart or factory is less than 15 miles away it will work for that as well 80% of the time. It might reduce an 600 euro transport bill to 250 euro or less and you still have it for handy jobs. O know a lad that has one and this time of year he uses it to take cattle to the fields as he has to put up no fences and can drive right into the field

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭emaherx

Bridgeway trailer is another option, I priced the 18ft in 2019 at €6500. They also have a 16ft. I went for a Tuffmac in the end as I thought the aluminum body would see me out.

http://bridgewayengineering.com/index.php/bridgeway-products/bridgeway-trailers

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    Bridgeway trailer is another option, I priced the 18ft in 2019 at €6500. They also have a 16ft. I went for a Tuffmac in the end as I thought the aluminum body would see me out.

http://bridgewayengineering.com/index.php/bridgeway-products/bridgeway-trailers

Is that Tuffmac 20 foot? What is it like? The Bridgeway seems like good value when compared to a jeep trailer.

Advertisement