Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete Slab Costs 2021

• 26-03-2021 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hello
    I going to put in a concrete slab 14m x 14m x 152mm (6")
    Im finding it hard to get rough priceing on this.
    What would be the cost to have this laid?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Dunedin

daesal wrote: »
    Hello

Thanks

It’ll take 30 cubic meters of concrete. Not sure of what concrete is at the minute as last summer since I last priced it but gonna guess it’ll be close enough to €100 a metre incl vat so €3k for concrete. Then it depends on what work you have to do beforehand but as a total stab in the dark a €1000 including gravel, machinery, hire of whacker, labour. Labour on the pour of the slab assuming you would be getting 2 fellas. A slab is normally a straight forward pour so 4 hours so €200 for the two boys.

Not including you might have to buy timber to form it up, are you putting in expansion joints or cutting it afterwards???

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

Thats a great help thanks.
    I will need timber to form. Will price that up tomorrow. I'm sorry to ask but what is the expansion joint vs cutting? I'm not that up on concrete pour. The only thing I've done before is a base for a tool shed years ago 3m x 10m and I was only a small labourer for that job.

Concrete expands and contracts depending on temperature and Expansion joints are essentially a cut in the concrete that allow for this and it stops concrete cracking afterwards.

A cut would be done with a consaw once concrete is set and is simply cutting a line about 2 inches deep across the width of the slab. Alternatively you buy plastic diamond shaped lenghts that you’d set in the concrete which you’d screed to the top of them and they allow for the contract/expanding - you’d get them in any hardware.

Just google this and you’ll get all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Dunedin wrote: »
    It’ll take 30 cubic meters of concrete. Not sure of what concrete is at the minute as last summer since I last priced it but gonna guess it’ll be close enough to €100 a metre incl vat so €3k for concrete. Then it depends on what work you have to do beforehand but as a total stab in the dark a €1000 including gravel, machinery, hire of whacker, labour. Labour on the pour of the slab assuming you would be getting 2 fellas. A slab is normally a straight forward pour so 4 hours so €200 for the two boys.

Not including you might have to buy timber to form it up, are you putting in expansion joints or cutting it afterwards???

Hope that helps.

4 loads of conco and you expect 2 lads to screed it for E200 in 4 hours come on be a bit more realistic to a lad pouring his 1st load of readymix .my advice have your ground ready and forms up order 1st load for 9 am and 2 nd load for 12 am and repeat the 2nd day no pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

cute geoge wrote: »
    4 loads of conco and you expect 2 lads to screed it for E200 in 4 hours come on be a bit more realistic to a lad pouring his 1st load of readymix .my advice have your ground ready and forms up order 1st load for 9 am and 2 nd load for 12 am and repeat the 2nd day no pressure

2 savage concrete workers here do jobs like that of a Saturday. They would pour that in the one day and charge €150 per man. They work for a local concrete firm in Dublin all week so Saturday is their day to get a few euros to go down deep in the pocket for just them.

• Advertisement

Forming up and preparing was included in the €1000 in costs beforehand (albeit a total stab in the dark). €200 each I meant and it’s a good days wages. I poured 3 loads in a very awkward yard in 6 hours last summer with a young lad with me - if 2 lads with a bit of help from the OP, couldn’t do 4 load in a day on a square slab then it’s time to go back on the pup payment

Grueller wrote: »
    2 savage concrete workers here do jobs like that of a Saturday. They would pour that in the one day and charge €150 per man. They work for a local concrete firm in Dublin all week so Saturday is their day to get a few euros to go down deep in the pocket for just them.

That’d be my thinking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Quoted 8k for 50x 80 slab today
    Going down over existing slab
    It is 100x 50 but there's 20 ft of silage left that won't be used this year, we'll just concrete up to it

It is 100x 50 but there's 20 ft of silage left that won't be used this year, we'll just concrete up to it

There’s about 56 metres of concrete (at 6” depth) so that’s going to be circa €6k before you start. Is the price of timber to form it included in that price. If it is an all-in price, it mightn’t be too far off.

There’s another thread on here about rising costs.

There’s about 56 metres of concrete (at 6” depth) so that’s going to be circa €6k before you start. Is the price of timber to form it included in that price. If it is an all-in price, it mightn’t be too far off.

There’s another thread on here about rising costs.

These guys do all our concrete work, they're big into it
    They would be using steel forms

Theyre doing a 140x 16ft 6 tank the same aswell here, they're doing that a v keen price so happy enough over all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

TAMS had grants for resurfacing silage pits.

TAMS had grants for resurfacing silage pits.

Yes, didn't apply last autumn so no use to me now unfortunately as need it done for 1st cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Hope that helps.
    Probably come in 4 loads and you expect a load of concrete to be leveled and screeded for 50 quid, no wonder those 2 boys are flat out but there boddies must be wrecked or else they are wetting it up and its self leveling. I would be looking at getting 4 good lads for the poar 2 leveling and 2 screaning and give them 250 a day each.

kerryjack wrote: »
    Probably come in 4 loads and you expect a load of concrete to be leveled and screeded for 50 quid, no wonder those 2 boys are flat out but there boddies must be wrecked or else they are wetting it up and its self leveling. I would be looking at getting 4 good lads for the poar 2 leveling and 2 screaning and give them 250 a day each.

The right lads with good equipment and it's no bother. The 2 lads that work here arrive with a magic screed, power screed and a few other bits. The days of 2 lads hanging out of a timber are finished around here anyhow and no harm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

The right lads with good equipment and it's no bother. The 2 lads that work here arrive with a magic screed, power screed and a few other bits. The days of 2 lads hanging out of a timber are finished around here anyhow and no harm either.

So they're charging 150 a day providing all the gear, they'll be busy fools for the rest of their lives

daesal wrote: »
    Hello

Thanks

Labour only 600-800 depending on what finish you want on the concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

So they're charging 150 a day providing all the gear, they'll be busy fools for the rest of their lives
    Correct, A plumber or sparks wouldn't get out of there van for 150 euro and they expect an experiences concrete worker to slave all day for 150. I seen it down these parts where a Lad was putting in paths around his house got a couple of loads, good few lads there none of them done concrete before, really hot day concrete going off quick major panic, The last driver saved the day and fuccked them all out of his way and got some bit of a finish on it.

The gear belongs to their boss who doesn't mind them doing Saturday work with it

kerryjack wrote: »
    You can do a lot with a laser level and a rake if concrete is loose enough
    Run of a bull float across it them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Its nearly at the stage if you cant level it by eye you shouldn't be at it.if you ve a good eye for the chute and good hand on the tamp and the mix right its no bother to lads.it s when any.of.those are wrong..........

• Advertisement

The gear belongs to their boss who doesn't mind them doing Saturday work with it

So what would happen if it had to be done on Tuesday, you're not comparing like with like, 2 lads on a nixer isn't the same as s self employed lad with wages and gear to pay for, I'm 220 a day plus vat per man for any job I do and i do a lot of concrete in the summer, I'll do it a bit cheaper for cash but fcuk breaking my back at concrete for a pittance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭cute geoge

So what would happen if it had to be done on Tuesday, you're not comparing like with like, 2 lads on a nixer isn't the same as s self employed lad with wages and gear to pay for, I'm 220 a day plus vat per man for any job I do and i do a lot of concrete in the summer, I'll do it a bit cheaper for cash but fcuk breaking my back at concrete for a pittance

Thats is an honest answer anyway .
    Can I ask how much would you charge for the likes of the job above if no major leveling was required but set up forms

Thats is an honest answer anyway .
    Can I ask how much would you charge for the likes of the job above if no major leveling was required but set up forms

880 plus vat for tamp finish concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anything over €150 a day cash you are better paying a man through the books. Even at €150 it’s questionable.

I am not looking for an argument horse. Just saying who I use here, what they charge and their circumstances. There are lads like this in most parishes and I was basically advising the OP to stay away from concrete and pay somebody who is actually set up to do it. The labour is a pittance compared to the value of the materials that you can potentially make a ball cocks of if not properly set up.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Anything over €150 a day cash you are better paying a man through the books. Even at €150 it’s questionable.

Unless of course you are taking in a bit of cash elsewhere and want to use it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Unless of course you are taking in a bit of cash elsewhere and want to use it up.

I’d be putting cash to something that I can’t get any tax relief on. Holidays, groceries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Cavanjack wrote: »

Sometimes it cash or nothing. Very hard to get hold of the vat registered boys. There's plenty of boys available for the cash. At times, it's pay the cash and get job done or pay for the vat and get in a long queue for your job.

880 plus vat for tamp finish concrete

How many men would you have on such a job?

• Advertisement

How many men would you have on such a job?

1 day to get it ready for myself and 3 men the day of the pour

Advertisement