Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid babies

• 26-01-2021 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Just wondering how many others have babies yet to meet important family/friends. My in-laws live in the UK and have underlying conditions so no chance of travel so far. I wouldn't dream of bringing my little one over there with how things are. So she'll likely be walking and talking when she gets to meet two of her grandparents for the first time. Crazy times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Uptheduff wrote: »
    Just wondering how many others have babies yet to meet important family/friends. My in-laws live in the UK and have underlying conditions so no chance of travel so far. I wouldn't dream of bringing my little one over there with how things are. So she'll likely be walking and talking when she gets to meet two of her grandparents for the first time. Crazy times.
    I'm exactly the same - my mum can't travel and so hasn't met our now 4 month old, or seen our 2½yr old for a year. It's breaking her heart

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

My little boy didn't see either set of grandparents for his first 3 months. He has met his only uncle but apart from that has met no other members of the extended family cousins etc. Not how we would have pictured our babies growing up that's for sure.

Really feel for people abroad etc that haven't seen grandparents very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Our first nephew was born in Wales in October. We haven't met him. We are due our third in August and not sure when he or she will meet their Welsh grandparents either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My 1 year old (born first week of lockdown) is a pro at facetime. She really turns on the charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have a 6 month old granddaughter abroad that I havent met in person
    We get videos every day , we chat on Skype or sit and watch her play or in the bath . I sing to her and am very grateful for technology which at least lets us see her grow .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thank god our little lad just got to meet all the important people in the family just about before lock down happened... Celebrated his first birthday with a Zoom party but it has been so sad with grandparents and close family not being able to see him the last year.. He hasnt seen too many people up close and whenever someone approaches him that he does not know he just stands still and reminds me of a meerkat!

It has to be hard but at the same time maybe a little blessing that new parents get to sit and enjoy their little ones without any little comments which I know are all meant in love but sometimes :) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Milly33 wrote: »
    It has to be hard but at the same time maybe a little blessing that new parents get to sit and enjoy their little ones without any little comments which I know are all meant in love but sometimes :) ...

Being honest it was lovely not to have loads of visitors landing in on top of us during the first few weeks. Drove me crazy with my first.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

One year old and still hasn't met anyone from her dad's family. I feel bad for my in-laws missing out on their grandchild's entire babyhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I think especially with the 1s the little comments and remarks can be taken the wrong way, by all sides, so feeling the ahhh when no one can call is nice...

Sure the first year really is just settling in Uptheduff so the grandparents and all will get such a kick when they do eventually meet the baby and their characters will be showing by then, so the time when they do meet will be just fantastic...Just think of the day when they can meet and how special it will be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

My 2 year old is yet to meet any of my family. He was born 12 weeks early so he spent his first few months in the nicu, after that we didn't see many people due to him being at risk for germs etc, then family was due to travel from NZ to visit and finally meet him and covid hit. Who knows when they'll get to see him at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

We were lucky (?) enough to get coronavirus a few months ago so the grandparents aren't concerned about catching it from us any more., we see them fairly frequently.

Can't say I'd recommend catching it though, wasn't pleasant even with a very mild dose.

We have a baby due in July so they'll already have the antibodies when they're born, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

It's something I worry about, our little guy has spent his first few months with us two clueless yolks :D
    He is flying now and is great with other kids but I have to say I worry what the long term impact of the isolation will do for a whole bunch of kids.
    Will generation covid be a thing in future years? I dunno.
    We can only do our best..... and whatapp....lots of video chats.

Advertisement