Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 10 Minute Dinner Thread

• 19-03-2021 3:09pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What are the dinners you make when you're *really* pushed for time?

We've got two nights a week that are hectic where we're trying to get a quick and nutritious dinner on the table by 6pm and I'm stuck for inspiration.

Assume we've not been organised to do any prep and also that we're trying to go for fresh rather than beige food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I know it counts as prep but I make a roast red pepper, tomato, onion and garlic sauce, blitz and freeze in an ice cube tray. I add it to boiled pasta with frozen peas or corn, sometimes cheese or a tin of tuna. It is handy enough as the sauce melts in the cooked pasta in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Carbonara. Waiting for the spaghetti to cook is the longest part

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭con747

Omelette.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Cream cheese pasta

Boil some pasta. In a pan, fry whatever veg you have (mushrooms, courgettes, aubergines, peppers, onions, celery, garlic, fennel, spring onions, anything you fancy, chopped). Once the veg are done, add a generous tablespoon of cream cheese (better still, garlic and herb cream cheese), a splash of hot water a stock cube. Add any herbs you might like, mix it all together and serve.

Quesadilla

Again, fry any veg you like (personally, a quesadilla needs at least some sliced onion and red pepper, but it's entirely up to you). While the veg are frying, grate some cheese. When the veg are done season with a bit of cumin, paprika or chili and salt, then remove them from the pan and put them on a plate. Place a tortilla wrap in the pan, and cover half of it with cheese. Put the veg on top of the cheese, then top it off with more cheese. Fold the tortilla over and fry for a bit, then turn it over and fry the other side. Press down a bit on it with a spatula. It's done when the tortilla is nice an crispy and the cheese has melted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Stir Fry. A pack of prep chopped veg, chicken chopped by the butcher, a small packet of sauce and noodles. Done in no time and pretty healthy due to all the veg.

Or any leftovers from the freezer that I just need to heat in a pan and cook pasta or rice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Italian baked chicken. Delicious, healthy and 5 minutes to throw it all into an oven dish or roasting tray. We have it with a small side of penne or fusilli pasta.

(Note: it says 20 minutes @200 but that isn't enough in my oven. I've made it loads of times and give it 27 minutes for average size chicken breasts)

http://www.mrsrachelbrady.co.uk/2014/05/italian-baked-chicken/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Frittata is a quick, nourishing and filling meal and one of my favourites. I add bacon, onion, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli or spinach and little chunks of boiled potatoes. Sometimes crumbled white pudding and chopped sausages. Whatever I have handy. Fried on the bob, then eggs and grated cheese poured over and popped under a hot grill.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Fish can be poached or fried in a few minutes, and couscous is ready in 3 minutes with just a kettle of boiling water.
    Have a spice mix or paste to stir through the couscous.
    Preserved lemons and herbs also work well.

Pickles or salad leaves can go with this, or even some microwaved frozen peas or canned sweetcorn.

Batch cooking and freezing is great for quick meals.

I also use a lot of canned fish.

Tuna and cannellini bean salad is always something I can make quickly from the cupboard, with toasted rye or pita breads from the freezer.
    Maybe not everyone's idea of dinner, but a great fall-back just in case.

I make a salad of black eye peas, chopped red pepper, red onion and parsley that I keep in the fridge for a couple of days, it goes well with any type of meat or fish.

Also, condiments like chilli sauce, mustard or any nice relish or sauce can add flavour on the side of a simple dish, without the need for long cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Grilled mackerel with a microwaved baked potato and any type of steamed veg is done in less than 10 minutes.

Delicious and healthy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Frittata is a quick, nourishing and filling meal and one of my favourites. I add bacon, onion, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli or spinach and little chunks of boiled potatoes. Sometimes crumbled white pudding and chopped sausages. Whatever I have handy. Fried on the bob, then eggs and grated cheese poured over and popped under a hot grill.

This is also my go to. Or stir fry beef with quick fry veg such as pak choi and beansprouts and straight to work noodles. The sauce is just dark soy and oyster sauce.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

"Fresh" pasta and a tub of pesto. Always have a set hanging out in the fridge, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Poached salmon and microwaved potatoes.
    Grilled Steak/fishfingers, beans and mashed potatoes
    or usually I'll have left a stew on in the slow cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Carbonara. Waiting for the spaghetti to cook is the longest part

Yeah carbonara would be the quickest dish I cook regularly. Slightly longer is a burger and chips, have often cooked this at half time when watching football and am always sitting down ready to eat it just as the second half of the game starts. Can do similar for pizza if the Ooni is switched on to preheat 20 minutes before half time.

Not a dinner but another fast one for me in terms of prep is leek and potato soup. You can chop 3 large spuds and a leek in less than 3 minutes while the kettle boils hot water for the chicken stock. All thrown into the instant pot, press the soup setting and walk away till it bleeps. Another 2 minutes blending it up and thats it, its a really quick soup. Pea and chorizo soup is similar except for a couple of extra minutes extra frying the chorizo to get the oils to seep out.

Quesadillas are a great option too.

With canned refried beans and cheddar.
    Or avocado and pre-cooked chicken.

Salad or wilted greens on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

Spaghetti into boiling water, while that’s going - olive oil, chopped garlic, parsley, chilli (fresh or flakes). Add pasta, shake, squeeze of lemon to finish, serve.

Corvo wrote: »
    Spaghetti into boiling water, while that’s going - olive oil, chopped garlic, parsley, chilli (fresh or flakes). Add pasta, shake, squeeze of lemon to finish, serve.

Parsley is such an underrated thing.
    Super healthy; use lots of it, not just as a garnish.

I'm lucky to be able to access fantastic organic flat leaf parsley here from Killbrack Farm.
    Miles ahead of the supermarket stuff, but for the same price. It keeps for a whole week.

Corvo, you've given me a great idea on how to use my recently acquired chopper!
    I will add anchovies ;)

A batch of that will last for a few days, then just the pasta to cook.
    Super quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Quesadillas are a great option too.

With canned refried beans and cheddar.
    Or avocado and pre-cooked chicken.

Salad or wilted greens on the side.

Have never made quesadillas but do like them. Are you using a flour tortilla or have you come across one made from corn that is a large size? Ive never seen them anywhere in a large size but much prefer corn tortillas over the flour ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I always have some of those dirt cheap noodles in the pantry for a quick meal. I kinda make a fake ramen from them... I'll attempt some form of recipe but I've probably never made the same dish twice.

Packet noodles, cooked with stock instead of water, throw in a tiny bit of the curry seasoning sachet.Throw in some finely chopped carrot or other veg.
    Add some Soy and sesame oil towards the end.
    Noodles, veg and sauce into a bowl.
    Finish with spring onion, chilli and a fried egg.

Sounds like a bit of a mess I'm sure but it certainly hits the spot and probably done in 5 or 6 mins.

Handy dish to use up any leftovers, think I threw some chopped rashers into the last one. Anything goes really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Would a Carroll's cuisine lasagne be too basic?!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have never made quesadillas but do like them. Are you using a flour tortilla or have you come across one made from corn that is a large size? Ive never seen them anywhere in a large size but much prefer corn tortillas over the flour ones.

I prefer the corn ones too, but they are small and not really suited to a quesadilla I think.

I use flatbreads/wraps.
    There's a Syrian guy down here that sells very nice ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Corvo wrote: »

Add prawns and cherry tomatoes to this and it is a gourmet dish!

Advertisement