Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's CANCER day!: The Late Late Show - Friday 26th March 2021.

Options
  • 25-03-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

Apologies for the somewhat jarring thread title, but all will be revealed, as Mr. Fun reverts to type...
    This Friday night, a very special Late Late Show celebrates Daffodil Day, with guest stars including Shane Filan, Jedward and Cavan footballer Oisin Kiernan.
    Westlife star Shane Filan will be in studio, speaking to Ryan for the very first time about how he coped with recently losing both of his parents, Mae and Peter, to cancer, just ten months apart.
    Pop twins Jedward, renowned for their truly outstanding quiffs, will be shaving their heads live on air to help raise Daffodil Day donations.

John and Edward, whose mother Susanna died in 2019 from cancer, said of their upcoming appearance on the show: "We are honouring the memory of all those who have come and gone, we are sending strength and love to all those suffering.
    Cavan footballer Oisin Kiernan will be talking about his diagnosis and treatment for testicular cancer, his subsequent GAA comeback and his advice for young men watching.
    Plus, band of the moment, Inhaler, will be in studio to perform their latest hit single, Cheer Up Baby. This will be the debut Late Late Show performance for the Dublin quartet.

I swear, I'm not making this up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The show celebrates Daffodil Day, the Irish Cancer Society's annual fundraiser.

Westlife star Shane Filan will be in studio, speaking to host Ryan Tubridy for the very first time about how he coped with recently losing both of his parents to cancer just ten months apart.

Jedward, renowned for their truly outstanding quiffs, will be shaving their heads live on air to help raise Daffodil Day donations.

Cavan footballer Oisin Kiernan will be talking about his diagnosis and treatment for testicular cancer, his subsequent GAA comeback.

Tubridy will also meet some of the army of volunteers who swim, run, bucket-shake, drive and cycle each year all in aid of the Irish Cancer Society.

CEO of the charity Averil Power will share her own personal experience with the night nursing service on the show as well.

Irish rockers Inhaler will be in the studio to play their latest hit single 'Cheer Up Baby'

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/lineup-this-weeks-episode-late-late-show-jedward-718555?fbclid=IwAR0eOupo_VJ1GzpVqbhRvlaOcIsbaurhjf6xDD_-43OadU1rUzELFtXMQKY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

See that Jedward have escaped Tara Reid or possible vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Oh God will the powers that be put an end permanently to LLS and save us both financially and mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,005 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The government and hse need to get cancer screenings back on schedule

Be interesting to see Jedward bald :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Holy Gawd........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Offaly bad altogether. I think I will skip it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,627 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

monophy.gif

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Well, that's another reason not to watch LLS yet in 2021. It can stay in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So bad it's actually funny. They should stick to one cancer special per year and never mention the fcuking thing for another 51 weeks.

My mother died of cancer, she was a default LLS viewer, but even she would switch this off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Every day is cancer day on RTE.
    I'll be watching The French Connection with Gene Hackman instead.
    Only saw it once about 25 years ago so looking forward to it.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

At this rate they should just show old Late Late episodes from 40 years ago and we can actually experience some real debate and controversy. I would expect it would get good ratings, similar to Reeling in the Years.

I couldn't watch anymore depression, death and virtue signalling from Tubridy and Co. I suppose we can be thankful Ronan Keating isn't due to appear tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Ok, it's daffodil day this week. What's their excuse the other 51 weeks of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Imagine what an impact this would have if the we weren't all fatigued (with Late Late misery) to the point of considering just leaving the TV off and watching that instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

furiousox wrote: »
    Every day is cancer day on RTE.
    I'll be watching The French Connection with Gene Hackman instead.
    Only saw it once about 25 years ago so looking forward to it.

Jesus if start a thread on that, and tell us a time to start the movie, and I'll join you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The "keeping things fun" vibe didn't last long, did it?

what is it with the LLS and these 'specials' now? I think they have simply run out of guests and see it as easy filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Have got the cans in for the LLS cancer special tonight. Will be a great start to the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Have got the cans in for the LLS cancer special tonight. Will be a great start to the weekend.

Maybe stick on Schindler's List after it as a come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Well it started this afternoon when first card was played.
    DUFFY . Leads with Death by COVID
    DARCY . See you and raise you one death by DEMENTIA
    TUBRIDY . See you and raise you two death by CANCER.

At this rate I fully expect an outbreak of EBOLA to be announced ( gleefully ) before the night is out .

WTF is RTE at :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

NIMAN wrote: »
    The "keeping things fun" vibe didn't last long, did it?

what is it with the LLS and these 'specials' now? I think they have simply run out of guests and see it as easy filler.

wait for the opening patronising speech monologue - he'll try his best to convince us that it's a positive cancer show.

It's just one charity thing after another. So yeah, filler.

Meanwhile Graham Norton has Liam Neeson and his son, along with Rob Brydon and a few other people who I never heard of but are definitely better than Westlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Anyone have advice on buying a good rope that doesn't stretch?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

KevRossi wrote: »
    So bad it's actually funny. They should stick to one cancer special per year and never mention the fcuking thing for another 51 weeks.

My mother died of cancer, she was a default LLS viewer, but even she would switch this off.

I hear ya.

My own mother is on the way out but still reasonably OK. I normally spend every second weekend with her and bring one or two of the offspring with me. I usually arrive back from my brother's around 10 with a few cans in me and endure the LLS with her as she thinks the sun shines out of Tubridy's hole. Due to reasons beyond my control, I'm delighted I can't get down till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jedward are shaving their heads tonight on it... I think Eoghan McDermott was the last person to shave his head on it...

I've an idea for something uplifting on LLS. Paint a picture alongside an artist on LLS. Ryan asks audience to buy some basic paints, brush and canvas in one of the art shops which are open or Lidl/Mr Price etc, or whatever materials the LLS artist has in mind and discussed on the radio show. Then on the show they set up the simple enough picture and get audience to paint alongside, as Ryan comments and has a few musical interludes to let people catch up. At end of evening participants have a picture. People could then post in photos of their picture and the artist judges whichever he things is best as some hotel or other then has the opportunity of giving a voucher to the winner for when we restrictions are lifted. Would make for an uplifting show, and one or two celebrities could be shown making their own attempts at the picture along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Sure the Cancer will distract us from the Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well it started this afternoon when first card was played.
    DUFFY . Leads with Death by COVID
    DARCY . See you and raise you one death by DEMENTIA
    TUBRIDY . See you and raise you two death by CANCER.

At this rate I fully expect an outbreak of EBOLA to be announced ( gleefully ) before the night is out .

WTF is RTE at :eek:

There is no plan. That's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

We have RTE Radio 1 from 7am to 7pm minus 1 hour for the Ronan Collins show Mon. to Fri, thats eleven hours per day.
    Miriam O'Callaghan on Saturday.
    Katie Hannon on Saturday.
    Brendan O'Connor on Sunday.
    This Week on Sunday with Gavin Jennings or whoever.
    TV, Claire Byrne Live.
    Prime Time.
    The Week In Politics.
    Six One News Mon. to Sun.

All of the above for COVID, Cancer, Mental Health etc.etc. but still they just can't give it a break on Friday night.

I’m giving tonight’s show a miss. For obvious reasons.

NOT CARK, Stay Safe, Nos Da.

UnluckySnivelingBelugawhale-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭CH3OH

The set is giving me a headache already and Ryan's tie might cause me to switch off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Nope I don’t want to watch a cancer special.

I understand why Ryan looked so giddy, a whole show of it.

Advertisement