Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

escooter & ebike regulation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Legislation for the use of escooters
    Tax, insurance and driving licenses will not be required.
    sensible move, anyway.
    another one to add to the list too, when people come up with 'the greens have done nothing in government' in six month's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

Good news.

Regulation of ebikes, that are capable of exceeding the 25kmh assistance limit, as light mopeds makes sense, too.

Currently they are illegal to use on the roads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They need to be regulated one way or another, but the legislation has to be future proofed as there are some mad e bikes being made and they will get faster and faster.

Some products advertised as e bikes are really electric motorbikes with pedals. This has to be regulated.

Allowed, but regulated. And controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

wonski wrote: »
    They need to be regulated one way or another, but the legislation has to be future proofed as there are some mad e bikes being made and they will get faster and faster.

Some products advertised as e bikes are really electric motorbikes with pedals. This has to be regulated.

Allowed, but regulated. And controlled.

Exactly, my hope is that its a bit more granular than 250W ebikes, and everything else after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good news on e-scooters too. Finally a move away from the limbo state they're in and the oft-mooted nonsense around tax and insurance :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

8valve wrote: »
    Good news.

Regulation of ebikes, that are capable of exceeding the 25kmh assistance limit, as light mopeds makes sense, too.

Currently they are illegal to use on the roads here.
    it's not that they're illegal to use, they're legal to use with licence, insurance, helmet, etc.; and there's no framework around all that (certainly with insurance anyway) so not possible to use legally in a practical sense. which i guess you could argue makes them illegal.
    i assume that they'll just explicitly put them in the sub-50cc moped bracket.

@OP, hope you don't mind, i changed the thread title; the main part of the news here for many people is in relation to e-scooters rather than e-bikes.

The horse has long bolted in terms of the scooters. This time last year I'd see the odd one, now I see them daily. I'm at peace with them now for the most part, majority of the ones who ride the footpath seem to be giving way and using a bell you'll always have the odd AH. The piss poor lights on some of them if they even have them especially the rear ones bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Dutchy

Any idea as to when this new legislation with pass? I have my eye on the Xiaomi Mi Pro 2 - this news may make me pull the purchase trigger. Assume this model will be compliant with the new legislation?

i'd say it'll be months away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

could be 6 months :eek::eek:

Proposed Electric Scooter Laws plus more info
    https://goosed.ie/irelands-proposed-electric-scooter-laws/

link to legislation to track progress:
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2021/28/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

could be 6 months :eek::eek:

Proposed Electric Scooter Laws plus more info
    https://goosed.ie/irelands-proposed-electric-scooter-laws/

link to legislation to track progress:
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2021/28/

That seems to be a bandwagoning bill by the TD in question.

Scooters are to be legalised by the Minister for Transport on behalf of the Government via the Road Traffic (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill which is currently at the pre-legislative scrutiny stage.

For the record: Electric bicycles with which the motor cuts off at 25km/h are already legal in Ireland by way of vehicle legislation and a finance act.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yep, it's the Road Traffic (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2019 you want.

Alan Farrell is just looking for some attention there. He knows that the government's bill is being brought to the Transport Committee but is trying to bring forward a private member's bill alongside it. He knows his bill won't get through before the government's bill but he will get to take some credit now and when the government's bill eventually gets through.

Regarding the proposed power limit, 250w, for ebikes, what does that mean if you are, say, a bit on the big side i.e. is 250w perfect for someone with a BMI of 25, but totally crap for someone with a BMI of 40?

Might be a stupid question, but I have no understanding of what a 250w limit actually means when it coms to using the thing as I haven't had a chance to take a spin on one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭mvt

If you have a BMI of 40 chances are the next thing you'll be travelling on is a hearse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what regulations are we expecting to see on escooters? I would imagine they'll make hi vis and helmets and all that jazz compulsory?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

what regulations are we expecting to see on escooters? I would imagine they'll make hi vis and helmets and all that jazz compulsory?

I can imagine that anything running below 25kmh will be bound by bike rules and as you say helmet and high vis.

Those that go faster may end up in moped bracket - of course will be very hard to tell unless the gardai get lucky.

I have a ninebot, larger scooter, more stable and its daft listening to the talk around them, i can do 40kmh easy on my racer. The scooter is silly safe when you use it right.

eamonn ryan has repeatedly stated he's no interestin making helmets compulsory for cyclists, and if the law is passed that e-scooters are limited to 25km/h, i like to think they'll be treated as equivalent in that sense.

eamonn ryan has repeatedly stated he's no interestin making helmets compulsory for cyclists, and if the law is passed that e-scooters are limited to 25km/h, i like to think they'll be treated as equivalent in that sense.

They really don't go fast enough for it to be more than a gimmick - i can step off mine at close to top speed.

Will say the cycle paths being bad quality has taken on a whole new meaning and I have 10 inch inflatable tyres on my one, need to act like I am snowboarding - knees bent all the time to take the shocks out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This is what the Department were thinking about a month ago. The bill that will be published soon may include some changes and there will be changes at committee stage.

Permitted in all cycle lanes, bus lanes and contraflow bus lanes.
    Not permitted on footpaths or motorways.
    This one is controversial.. Not permitted on national roads unless there's a bus lane or cycle lane.
    Use on greenways to be determined by local bye-laws.

Maximum design speed of 25 km/h.
    No lower age limit determined yet but this could change.
    High-vis and helmets "strongly recommended" but not mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

In my area loads of young guys, approx 15, were going around on bikes during 1st lockdown now after Xmas they are on escooters going from parks to playgrounds messing.

If you tell them to leave a playground and let kids play there they will tell you where to go. Then they move on and come back. Headwrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Regarding the proposed power limit, 250w, for ebikes, what does that mean if you are, say, a bit on the big side i.e. is 250w perfect for someone with a BMI of 25, but totally crap for someone with a BMI of 40?

Might be a stupid question, but I have no understanding of what a 250w limit actually means when it coms to using the thing as I haven't had a chance to take a spin on one of these

The wattage is the max the motor can put out. My bike (touring-city bike) has a Bosch system with 5 settings: Off, Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo. So you are using either: 0 watts, 50w, 120w, 180w or 250w. (Not sure of the exact amount, but it gives you an idea)

With the motor at max (Turbo) you can cycle up anything, up the hill in Howth, or up the Sally Gap just spinning away like you were cycling an ordinary bike on the flat.

If you know Dublin, then I cycle from Drumcondra up to the Airport using Tour or Sport setting and I wouldn't break a sweat when wearing a jacket, shirt and jeans. I weigh over 100 kg FWIW.

Most of the time I'm in Off or Eco setting on the flat. At a red light I switch it to Tour just to get off the line. It just gives you an extra boost, a bit like pressing the accelerator on a car. Obviously the less you use then the more range you have between charges.
    mvt wrote: »
    If you have a BMI of 40 chances are the next thing you'll be travelling on is a hearse :)

I've a BMI of 36. I can run 10 Km in just under an hour with some prep, but do it in 1:10 3 nights a week. I can cycle 100 Km no issue on a cheap road bike, have done the Wicklow Way several times. I can do a 35 km mountain hike in a day, or walk 60 km on roads and on the flat in one day.

I'll outwalk, outrun and outcycle most people with a BMI below 25 including men half my age.

It's not a reflection of how fit you are, just how much you weight against your height. And I get a medical test done every 12 months, usually have marginally high cholesterol and marginally high sugar levels. I have a terrible diet.

Thank you, I really appreciate all that info in your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

What penalties can you currently get if you have a motor over 250w and a top speed in excess of 25km/h? Would I be at risk of getting points or losing my licence for no insurance? (I know there's no catagery for these type of vehicles on your licence)
    I wouldn't mind a slap on the wrist or a small fine, but if it affects my current clean licence I'd have second thoughts

What penalties can you currently get if you have a motor over 250w and a top speed in excess of 25km/h? Would I be at risk of getting points or losing my licence for no insurance? (I know there's no catagery for these type of vehicles on your licence)
    I wouldn't mind a slap on the wrist or a small fine, but if it affects my current clean licence I'd have second thoughts

There was a court case in Ennis there recently,

Fines etc. and someone in Rathfarnham got fixed penalty charge and points (no court I think)

It's all a bit stupid at the moment, tons about and just a few unlucky people have met a misery Garda on a bad day.

Judges should have more cop on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They are consider motorbikes so all the offences for using an uninsured vehicle. If we follow the UK route then they won't ever be legal and our traffic law is closer to the UK than Europe.

Del2005 wrote: »
    They are consider motorbikes so all the offences for using an uninsured vehicle. If we follow the UK route then they won't ever be legal and our traffic law is closer to the UK than Europe.

Such nonsense. Thought the greens would have at least achieved some legislation on this by now.

Not sure what they are even doing in Gov at the moment - haven't seen anything on the transport side from them at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd say you'd have to be seriously over the limits to be pulled and/or acting the eejit, and then failed the "don't be a dick to the cop" to end up in court tbh.

Advertisement