Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€1500 Espresso machine budget

• 09-03-2021 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

I'm half blind looking at machines, features and reviews. Would appreciate input from the gurus on here.

What I have:
    • Gaggia Classic - bought new in 2015 and used daily since.
    • Mazzer Super Jolly grinder - Got a great deal on it in 2017 and I expect it to keep on trucking for many years. It replaced a Sage Smart Grinder Pro which broke down after 2 years and is an unrepairable piece of junk. I won't buy another Sage / Breville product.
    Usage:
    • It's rare that I'd need to make more than a couple of coffees at once.
    • I want to make more flat whites and cappuccinos. The Gaggia is weak at steaming.
    • I'm not a tinkerer, want something relatively straightforward that I can get repeatable results with once dialled in. I'm boringly consistent in my coffee preferences. eg I've probably been drinking 3FE momentum blend for about a year.
    Current favourites:
    The Profitec Pro 300 and Rancilio Silvia Pro are the main two I'm looking at. Both have PID, dualboiler and should be durable, serviceable and long-lasting machines. Any other machines that I should seriously consider? For my usage should I spend less and blow my money elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

The Lelit Elizabeth should be also be worth a look. Its a bit cheaper than the solvia pro, but it looks equally as good.
    I think that is going to be my next machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Friend of mine bought a rocket something from here last year

010 in Meath last year

Seems to be hassle free and he always hands me great coffee when I visit! Lol

I'd love to get my own but bit expensive for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Friend of mine bought a rocket something from here last year

010 in Meath last year

Seems to be hassle free and he always hands me great coffee when I visit! Lol

I'd love to get my own but bit expensive for me

Rocket with PID and Dual boiler would be way beyond budget.
    As for the entry level , one with single boiler ( steaming)and heat exchanger for the espresso ,not sure if it is great option, unless you lover of milky drinks, then yes , Rocket Appartamento will do the trick, and it looks fantastic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

alec76 wrote: »
    Rocket with PID and Dual boiler would be way beyond budget.
    As for the entry level , one with single boiler ( steaming)and heat exchanger for the espresso ,not sure if it is great option, unless you lover of milky drinks, then yes , Rocket Appartamento will do the trick, and it looks fantastic too.

Yes that's it. The one he has is an apartmento. Pride of place in his kitchen. Really nice machine. And yes definitely costly but probably last for years and pay for itself as opposed to buying take away coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Think I've settled on the Rancilio Silvia Pro. Doesn't seem to anywhere I can buy it in Ireland? Coffeeitalia are selling it with a free grinder that I'd sell - tempting price-wise but plenty of horror stories about the support experience with them.

Probably going to order from www.espressocoffeeshop.com. Any experience of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

dmigsy wrote: »
    Think I've settled on the Rancilio Silvia Pro. Doesn't seem to anywhere I can buy it in Ireland? Coffeeitalia are selling it with a free grinder that I'd sell - tempting price-wise but plenty of horror stories about the support experience with them.

Probably going to order from www.espressocoffeeshop.com. Any experience of them?

I bought from these guys last year. Very easy to deal with. Was in contact a few times before ordering my machine and they were responsive. Machine arrived pretty quickly too. They are based in Milan so not sure what the story would be with a return or anything.

Ordered the Rancilio Silvia Pro with http://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/. There was the option to email them for a discount code so that knocked 95 quid off the price. A human responded straight away over email too so that's always a positive.

A couple of days too late, https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie/ responded to my email. They're doing a great deal on the Rancilio Silvia Pro and a Rocky grinder for 1499. I was a bit impatient in ordering and the one I ordered from Italy had already shipped. Would have gone with this otherwise. I've no affiliation, would have prefered to give the business to an Irish company though.

https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie/collections/rancilio/products/copy-of-rancilio-silvia-pro

A couple of days too late, https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie/ responded to my email. They're doing a great deal on the Rancilio Silvia Pro and a Rocky grinder for 1499. I was a bit impatient in ordering and the one I ordered from Italy had already shipped. Would have gone with this otherwise. I've no affiliation, would have prefered to give the business to an Irish company though.

https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie/collections/rancilio/products/copy-of-rancilio-silvia-pro

That is a great deal. The Pro seems to be about 1400 everywhere so getting a rocky for 100 is great. Now if I could just find a pro for 1200....

• Advertisement

bergipau wrote: »
    That is a great deal. The Pro seems to be about 1400 everywhere so getting a rocky for 100 is great. Now if I could just find a pro for 1200....

Buy this, sell the Rocky for 250 and you're nearly there!

Arrived today. Bigger than I thought.

image.png

Let us know what you think of it.
    I believe it is a little bit higher, but allot deeper.

Arrived today. Bigger than I thought.

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Is that a hot water tap on the left? Need to remove that cabinet or it's going to be a pain in the a45e!

Yeah, the machine has a hot water tap. Why would I need to remove the cabinet?

He might be just jealous:)
    Great machine, congrats !

Looks very nice. I have machine envy! Enjoy.

Just thinking you'd have to slide out the machines to refill the hopper or water tank, particularly if single dosing. Anyway, well wear. I have the older model and it's a fab machine.

Just thinking you'd have to slide out the machines to refill the hopper or water tank, particularly if single dosing. Anyway, well wear. I have the older model and it's a fab machine.

Ah yeah, the hopper lifts out to refill - not bothered with single dosing. The machine slides a few inches to take out water tank.

I have the older model and it's a fab machine.
    It is very unlikely you have older model as this one PRO version with DUAL boiler and PID only available from August 2020.
    I have only regular Rancilio Silvia , modified with PID and realy envy to this one:)

• Advertisement

That's what I meant by older model - also modified with PID (Auber) and replaced the time-out switch. Looking at the PRO it is clear where it's pedigree comes from.

Just about have it dialled in now. And have a caffeine-induced eye-twitch. Beautiful espresso but I need to get better at milk frothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Any thoughts on the Rancilio Rocky SD? On sale at €288

https://www.coffeeitalia.ie/rancilio-rockysd.html

Currently we use a Krupps blade grinder, it works fine, is a bit messy.

We use a Bialetti Mocha to make the coffee. Wondering if I replace the Krupps grinder should I expect better tasting coffee?

We use a Bialetti Mocha to make the coffee. Wondering if I replace the Krupps grinder should I expect better tasting coffee?

Rocky would be "espresso type " grinder , you'll definitely find something cheaper and may be even better for your task.
    Wilfa Svart Grinder or similar.
    ps.Coffeeitalia based in Italy , don't be tricked with .ie name. Customer care not existing, if anything goes wrong you on your own.

alec76 wrote: »
    It is very unlikely you have older model as this one PRO version with DUAL boiler and PID only available from August 2020.
    I have only regular Rancilio Silvia , modified with PID and realy envy to this one:)

Do you find the pid a good improvement on temp. Stability?
    Temp surfing drives me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Any thoughts on the Rancilio Rocky SD? On sale at €288

https://www.coffeeitalia.ie/rancilio-rockysd.html

Currently we use a Krupps blade grinder, it works fine, is a bit messy.

I'd avoid coffeeitalia. The rocky was my first proper grinder. Never really fell in love with the adjustment options on it.

Now a shameless plug to my ad for a 2nd hand compak k3 touch if that price is your budget range:
    https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/compak-k3-touch-coffee-grinder/22830574

Forgot about surfing like bad dream.
    Not just stability , it is really helping tweak some beans.
    Normally I would rise temperature for light/medium roast and bring it down for darker

It’s a game changer. I got my Silvia last September and struggled with temp surfing until Christmas when I fitted an Auber PID. Without the PID I found it difficult to pull a consistent shot. With the PID installed the difference is night and day. As the other poster said, the temperature control makes a difference as well, ie, increase the brew temp for lighter beans.

Can I ask where ye bought the pids from?

• Advertisement

Can I ask where ye bought the pids from?

I bought it directly from Auber through their website. They are based in Atlanta but I had it delivered within a week.

Advertisement