Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you been polled by NPHET?

• 26-03-2021 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭

Curious as to where NPHET are getting their data, I don't know of anyone they spoke to, how can they know this is the reason for a rise in cases.

A doubling in the amount of inter-household visiting since the start of February has been cited as a factor behind the plateauing of Covid-19 case numbers.

One in 10 people visited another household for social reasons in mid-March, up from one in 20 at the start of February, according to assistant chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn.

Have you answered any questions for NPHET? 51 votes

Yes
    86% 44 votes
    No
    0% 0 votes
    No but I personally know somone who has
    13% 7 votes
    Atrai Jabbuary
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ESRI do a rolling survey via various operators, NPHET themselves don't collect the data. Plenty of people on the surveys thread in Consumer Issues have been surveyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

What makes them trust the information in the surveys? If I got a survey and gave random answers how would they know?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

timeToLive wrote: »
    What makes them trust the information in the surveys? If I got a survey and gave random answers how would they know?

You could make the same statement about most surveys and lots of scientific research. However, most people don't just give random answers to things, they're generally truthful when there is zero reason not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I do surveys with RedC and have not been asked. RedC would be one of the main survey operators.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I do surveys with RedC and have not been asked. RedC would be one of the main survey operators.

They primarily use Acumen/B&A it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Amirani wrote: »
    You could make the same statement about most surveys and lots of scientific research. However, most people don't just give random answers to things, they're generally truthful when there is zero reason not to be.

Yes, I could. When you're promoting policies to enforce strict movement rules on whole populations that will affect everyones lives and wellbeing.. you should base it on concrete information.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yes, I could. When you're promoting policies to enforce strict movement rules on whole populations that will affect everyones lives and wellbeing.. you should base it on concrete information.

Survey data is concrete information. They're not going to spy on people to check what they're doing.

They survey rather more than one person; and any obviously odd answers get the person doing it booted from the survey site fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I've never been polled/surveyed for a single thing in me life.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I've never been polled/surveyed for a single thing in me life.

This is exactly why I don’t trust ‘polls’ or ‘surveys’ I don’t know any ordinary people in real life who have ever been polled for something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Parachutes wrote: »
    This is exactly why I don’t trust ‘polls’ or ‘surveys’ I don’t know any ordinary people in real life who have ever been polled for something.

I have participated in them on a number of occasions.

I'm an ordinary person in real life.

I had not got a call in a number of years bur got one from MRBI last week.

It was the first one that did not ask any questions about voting preference.

The main questions were about hardware shopping during the restrictions.

There was also a questions on screen time and eating habits of the children during since COVID .

There were also a few questions on fishing, yes fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I was in a survey last year. around September. Statistics office together with some UK University I think but I only half remember it.

It was the full covid thing. Do you work from home. How scared are you. How often do you shop. Countless questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It was the full covid thing. Do you work from home. How scared are you. How often do you shop. Countless questions.

and on the scareometer where were you? I've a feeling they used the results of that question to take liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

and on the scareometer where were you? I've a feeling they used the results of that question to take liberties.

I was on the not very scared scale. When I heard about the worry-o-meter on tv I immediately thought of that survey and I was surprised they were so upfront about it.

Parachutes wrote: »

I've done several surveys over the years. I've run several surveys too.

Nothing unusual, secret or otherwise about them. You put questions out there and you present the responses, thats it

Advertisement