Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steady As She Goes

• 31-01-2021 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

I think the time is finally right to get back logging. This is my 4th log (#1, #2, #3) with two from a time long ago and my most recent covering the last year of running. Last year was very much walking (and running) into the unknown for me. I was coming from a number of years of being very unhealthy, overweight and unfit and I was unsure about what standard of running I could get back to. While there were a lot of mistakes along the way due to overtraining, and injuries to go along with that I think it was quite a successful year where I rejoined and competed for my old club and capped if off with an unexpected sub 19 min 5K TT at the end of November. Unfortunately for the past few months I have been suffering with a bout of plantar fasciitis, something I would not wish upon anyone. It is a painfully slow recovery process and while it is not 100% recovered it is progressing in the right direction and with guidance from my physio I've had a successful 6 weeks of low and gradually increasing mileage but consistent running.

This year and for this log that is really what I am looking for, consistency. This means training smart to minimize the potential for any more injuries. I have goals for specific distances and times which I will talk about but they are not my main priority right now and will hopefully come as a by product of consistent training. My high level plan for the year is for 4 training blocks.
    1. 8 week base building up to 55K - 60K
    2. 12 week 5K specific
    3. 8 week base building up to 75K
    4. 12 week 10K specific

This could of course change a bit with potential injuries, or if racing comes back in some form later in the year. Focusing on the first 2 blocks, the goal for block 1 is to simply build my mileage back up safely and continue to manage the PF in doing so. The last 4 weeks I have been between 31K - 37K a week off 4 days a week feeling pretty good. I think adding 20K to this and getting back to 5 days a week over an 8 week period is pretty reasonable. The weekly training for this period will look something like 1 long run (13K building to 16K), 1 - 2 general aerobic, 1 easy/recovery and 1 general aerobic with either a 16 - 22 min tempo or 6 - 8 x 100 m strides.

Looking towards Block 2 I did a 5K TT this week to get a measure of where I am given the lack of real quality training for the past few months. I did it in 19:10 in poor conditions which is much better than I expected to be honest. After the Block 1 training I will do another so that I can work out the paces I should be training off in this block but I can imagine it will be much the same if not a bit slower. Ultimately I want to get below 18 mins and further if I can for the 5K this year. I might not do it in this training block but that is what I will try to push for, sensibly of course. I'll be following a 5K plan with peak mileage of approximately 60K.

Along with all this I will be adding in some strength and conditioning. Mostly through yoga and a bit of body weight/plyometrics exercises. I also have another goal around my weight. While last year I lost a substantial amount I put on around 4 -5 kg since this latest injury. I want to loose this and a bit more if I can. So current weight is 74.5 kg, goal weight of 66.5 kg. For this I've gone back to a 16:8 diet and with some simple changes to my eating I should start making progress on this soon hopefully.

Not that all this talking is done, it's time to get working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭token56

Training Block 1 - Base Building

Run #|Date|Distance|Time| Pace
    1|02/02/2020|13.01km|1:06:45|5:08/km
    2|04/02/2020|8.39km|43:53|5:14/km
    3|06/02/2020|11.1km|52:30|4:44/km
    4|07/02/2020|7.82km|1:06:45|4:54/km

Run 1 - Close to my longest run for a while. It was absolutely miserable conditions with wind and rain. I had to fight the instinct to increase the pace to get the run over quicker. I probably could have been a bit slower still but effort wise it felt easy.

Run 2 - Some more easy miles, windy conditions again but no rain thankfully. Pace was pretty ideal and effort wise felt good.

Run 3 - This was 3K easy, 4K tempo, 4K easy. The easy km's averaged @ ~5:07/km so a tad bit fast. 4K tempo averaged @ ~4:05/km. The first 3 km were a bit quicker but there was a drag on the 4th which killed the legs a bit and slowed the pace. Disappointed that I'm not feeling the strength to be able push over the hills at pace but that will come back.

Run 4 - This was not quite according to the plan but I was a bit sick of the usual routes and the hard ground so went to a woods I knew was within my 5K. I'd never been there before so didn't quite know my way around and did a bit of exploring. There is a short 1.4K loop with a nice hill and I explored some other paths which were dead ends. The pace overall felt very relaxed and the heart rate was in agreement with this. I did open the legs over the last 1.5K which felt really good. This was my most enjoyable run in quite a while.

Week #|Total Distance|Total Time| % Easy| % Hard|Weight|PF Pain
    1|40.34km|3h 21m|87%|13%|74.4kg|2/10

A good week with a small increase in mileage. I'm still seeing small improvements in my foot. Previously after a run the discomfort would increase for a few hours but that hasn't been the case this past week, and overall the pain is reducing. My weight is unchanged but I was expecting this, no excuses just not being strict enough with what I'm eating. As my foot is coming right I'm definitely feeling the urge to do more, run further and faster but sticking to the plan.

Training Block 1 - Base Building - Week 2

Run #|Date|Distance|Time|Pace|Avg HR
    1|09/02/2020|13.22km|1:08:35|5:11/km|141
    2|11/02/2020|8.4km|43:16|5:09/km|140
    3|13/02/2020|11.52km|53:13|4:37/km|154
    4|14/02/2020|8.4km|43:20|5:10/km|141

Run 1 - More or less the same run as last week but a fraction slower. I've stopped looking at my watch during these runs to keep an eye on my pace. I feel pretty comfortable now knowing what this pace feels like and being able to maintain it without quickening into a more steady pace which is what I used to do.

Run 2 - The weather for this was particularly chilly. Just wrapped up well and plodded along. One or two people passed me by during the course of it and my old self would have let my ego take hold and quicken up to stop this.

Run 3 - This week I did 3K easy, 5K tempo, 3.5K easy. Getting up before this I really wasn't looking forward to it with the cold howling wind outside. Took a bit of extra time getting fully stretched out before it. Luckily the wind was mostly blowing across me with just a small amount of running head on into it. The 5K tempo was done in 20:08, probably 20 or so seconds too quick but I was much happier with it than last week. The pace was more controlled and I was able to power over the few inclines where last week I wasn't and also adding in the extra km. Maybe signs of some improvement.

Run 4 - Wild, wild weather for this. There is nothing like a 50km/h headwind and driving rain to wake you up. But in that twisted way that I think is unique to runners I quite enjoyed this one. This should be my recovery run but again I wasn't checking my watch for pace. I really thought I was running much slower, I was taking it easy over any inclines and into the wind so the effort felt good but still need to slow it down. I need to look at the watch for these runs if I really want them to be recovery. Lesson learned.

2|41.55km|3h 28m|90%|10%|74.3kg|3/10

Another decent week of running. In addition to the above I did some yoga and two s&c sessions, one legs, one core. My legs were definitely feeling the first session for a couple of days after but I need to keep them going. The only negative this week is that if I'm being honest with myself there has been a very small increase in the discomfort in my foot. It doesn't feel like much but it is noticeable so worth noting. Next week I was planning to increase the overall mileage by 3km or so but I will monitor carefully and pull back if I need to.

Training Block 1 - Base Building - Week 3

Run #|Date|Distance|Time|Pace|Avg HR
    1|09/02/2020|14.37km|1:14:47|5:12/km|138
    2|11/02/2020|10.23km|51:16|5:01/km|141
    3|13/02/2020|11.61km|54:16|4:40/km|152
    4|14/02/2020|9.17km|46:46|5:06/km|144

Run 1 - A small increase in distance on the previous week. Effort wise it felt good and the heart rate on these runs is trending downwards for roughly the same pace.

Run 2 - Two parts to this run, the first was an easy 8.5K at 5:11/km and following this 6 x 30 secs strides. I felt very comfortable for the first 8.5K however the strides were only ok, I was trying to focus more on form and not kill the pace but I just felt like I couldn't really get the legs to turn over at any sort of decent cadence.

Run 3 - Same run as last week, 3K easy, 5K tempo, 3.5K easy, however it was somehow even windier and I struggled with this a bit. I just didn't feel great, the legs were heavy and I couldn't get the cadence up. The wind was definitely sapping the energy over the tempo section. The 5K tempo was done in 20:20 this week but not as even a pace.

Run 4 - Probably the nicest morning weather wise for quite a while. I headed out to run on a bit of grass for a change. It was a bit soft under foot but I quite enjoy running over ground like that. Reminds me of cross country which is my favorite type of race. I pushed out the last couple of hundred meters, not sure why but I just did and it brought the average pace down, it was closer to 5:11/km for most of the run.

2|41.55km|3h 28m|90%|10%|74.3kg|3/10
    3|45.40km|3h 47m|88%|12%|73.9kg|3.5/10

Same as last week I sprinkled in a bit of strength and conditioning. No doms this week from it thankfully. Not mentioned in any of the above is the condition of my foot and the PF which is simply not improving and going in the opposite direction to be honest. It is very annoying because 2 weeks ago it really did feel like I was improving. Looking back I think it was the hill run, run 4 week 1 of this log that has started this most recent regression and its just continued from there. I'm obviously also doing all the usual treatment of the area itself with cold treatment, massaging the area. This does help but it's not enough at the moment.

I've an appointment with the physio tomorrow for a bit of treatment and I'm sure the instructions will be to rest for a while and then step back the training again. I've got to say, I've had some pretty bad injuries before including a herniated disk and a ruptured ACL and this is by far and away the most frustrating out of any of them. I've been struggling in general this week anyway and this is not helping but you have to keep positive. Focus on what I can do. If it comes to it I have the bike and turbo trainer. I can add more strength and conditioning and I can focus more on my diet.

The base building plan is more than likely going to be halted for a few weeks I imagine but I'll see what the physio says tomorrow. Even if it turns into a bit more of a recovery log in the short term I'll keep this going, it helps with the motivation.

Quick update after a trip to the physio. He was overall pretty positive to my surprise. Examining it the plantar fascia is a small bit inflamed but the tissue is still much more healthier than it was when I saw him last. I will step things back this week with a cycle tomorrow and try one or two easy 5K later in the week. Next week he thinks I should be able to go back as I was if it reacts positively to to rest. He has advised increasing the mileage even slower than I am, basically after an increase stay at that for an extra week, then increase again. This is fine, it means increasing the length of my base building but I'll do whatever it takes.

Another bit of an update. I followed the physio's orders and took the few days rest followed by some easy running. The PF did calm down a bit and this week I was back to following my planned program. Mostly just easy/steady running with a very short bit of tempo work. Overall mileage for the week was 43K. For most of the week it reacted ok to the running however there is a bit more pain this evening back to around a 3/10. I think at the moment 2 days in a row seems to be the trigger.

In a bit of a coincidence I was talking to my Aunt this evening who is always great for a bit of advice particularly around injuries etc. At the end of the day I've been going like this for probably 3+ months now and while there is sometimes progress this approach is obviously not working. I already knew this but didn't want to accept it. She suggested just take everything in 2 week blocks. Rest for 2 week and reassess with a short run afterwards, repeat again for as long as is needed. The goal is to get to no pain rather than manageable pain and I'm going to rest for as long as that takes. I'll continue to do the turbo trainer/cycle in the mean time along with as much core/yoga/strengthening work as I can.

I know I'll loose fitness but I've managed it once, I can get it back again. I'll continue to log a bit here in the meantime, hopefully it's not too long until it's something a bit more meaningful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

token56 wrote: »
    Another bit of an update. I followed the physio's orders and took the few days rest followed by some easy running. The PF did calm down a bit and this week I was back to following my planned program. Mostly just easy/steady running with a very short bit of tempo work. Overall mileage for the week was 43K. For most of the week it reacted ok to the running however there is a bit more pain this evening back to around a 3/10. I think at the moment 2 days in a row seems to be the trigger.

In a bit of a coincidence I was talking to my Aunt this evening who is always great for a bit of advice particularly around injuries etc. At the end of the day I've been going like this for probably 3+ months now and while there is sometimes progress this approach is obviously not working. I already knew this but didn't want to accept it. She suggested just take everything in 2 week blocks. Rest for 2 week and reassess with a short run afterwards, repeat again for as long as is needed. The goal is to get to no pain rather than manageable pain and I'm going to rest for as long as that takes. I'll continue to do the turbo trainer/cycle in the mean time along with as much core/yoga/strengthening work as I can.

I know I'll loose fitness but I've managed it once, I can get it back again. I'll continue to log a bit here in the meantime, hopefully it's not too long until it's something a bit more meaningful.

PF = Piriformis? How is your running form?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Quick question about the weight. You targeted 66kg from 74. That's a massive 10%+ overall loss! Have you been 66kg before?

On the 16:8, I think I read about this on Zico10's log a while back too. So eat all kcals in a 8 hour window, fast for the rest? How did it actually work for you? Is it short term 1 week think?

Thanks

demfad wrote: »
    PF = Piriformis? How is your running form?

Ah sorry, PF is plantar fasciitis so my running form is probably a factor with this too. I would be a mid foot striker and wouldn't really pound the pavement so to speak. My hips do tend to collapse a bit when running which is probably my biggest issue although I'm working quite hard to build core/glute/hip flexor strength to try and improve this.

Quick question about the weight. You targeted 66kg from 74. That's a massive 10%+ overall loss! Have you been 66kg before?

On the 16:8, I think I read about this on Zico10's log a while back too. So eat all kcals in a 8 hour window, fast for the rest? How did it actually work for you? Is it short term 1 week think?

Thanks

It has been quite a while since I was 66kg I will admit but I had got down to 70kg during the middle of last year and I don't think another 4kg would have been unrealistic for me to loose. I'm still carrying a good bit of fat around my mid section from when I was very overweight so really it's just loosing the last of that.

On the 16:8, that's about it, you just eat during an 8 hour window and fast the rest. I used it quite strictly when I lost over 30kg a year ago and I was using it for probably 6 months. There are all sorts of theories about why it is good for weight loss but to be honest I just used it as a mental tool to restrict my calories knowing the poor eating habits that I had. I set my 8 hours as 11:00 to 19:00 specifically because I have a massive sweet tooth and late evening/night time was when I would do most damage. By giving myself that mental rule and being strict those poor habits changed.

For me weight loss is simply about calories in, calories out and things like 16:8 and most diets with the exception of the keto diet are just tools that can help you achieve a calorie deficit.

Ah sorry, PF is plantar fasciitis so my running form is probably a factor with this too. I would be a mid foot striker and wouldn't really pound the pavement so to speak. My hips do tend to collapse a bit when running which is probably my biggest issue although I'm working quite hard to build core/glute/hip flexor strength to try and improve this.

I have a book called 'running rewired' by Jay Dicharry. One of his precision movement circuits is called 'hip runs'. It's banded exercises targetting hip dominant running patterns broken up by short bursts of running. It's literally changed how I run and quite quickly.
    I often carry the band on easy runs now and stick in the odd exercise to reinforce the glute/hip dominance.
    I had thought would be worth a try for piriformis but plantar different. Worth a look for form correction anyway if needed

• Advertisement

It has been quite a while since I was 66kg I will admit but I had got down to 70kg during the middle of last year and I don't think another 4kg would have been unrealistic for me to loose. I'm still carrying a good bit of fat around my mid section from when I was very overweight so really it's just loosing the last of that.

On the 16:8, that's about it, you just eat during an 8 hour window and fast the rest. I used it quite strictly when I lost over 30kg a year ago and I was using it for probably 6 months. There are all sorts of theories about why it is good for weight loss but to be honest I just used it as a mental tool to restrict my calories knowing the poor eating habits that I had. I set my 8 hours as 11:00 to 19:00 specifically because I have a massive sweet tooth and late evening/night time was when I would do most damage. By giving myself that mental rule and being strict those poor habits changed.

For me weight loss is simply about calories in, calories out and things like 16:8 and most diets with the exception of the keto diet are just tools that can help you achieve a calorie deficit.

I did something like that but 17:7 (11-6).
    Only water outside those times, not even coffee.
    I cut out sugar also.
    Plan was to do mild fat burning exercise before the 11am breakfast, to induce fat burning and do a slightly more intense exercise bout before my final meal.
    I only lasted a couple of months but it got the weight moving in right direction.
    I lost 13kgs as a result. Weight loss has slowed now so might take it up again.
    Well done on losing 30kg. Great discipline but made easier i guess from the positive feedback through the weight loss.

I have a book called 'running rewired' by Jay Dicharry. One of his precision movement circuits is called 'hip runs'. It's banded exercises targetting hip dominant running patterns broken up by short bursts of running. It's literally changed how I run and quite quickly.
    I often carry the band on easy runs now and stick in the odd exercise to reinforce the glute/hip dominance.
    I had thought would be worth a try for piriformis but plantar different. Worth a look for form correction anyway if needed

Thanks for that I will certainly take a look at the book, sounds very interesting.
    I did something like that but 17:7 (11-6).
    Only water outside those times, not even coffee.
    I cut out sugar also.
    Plan was to do mild fat burning exercise before the 11am breakfast, to induce fat burning and do a slightly more intense exercise bout before my final meal.
    I only lasted a couple of months but it got the weight moving in right direction.
    I lost 13kgs as a result. Weight loss has slowed now so might take it up again.
    Well done on losing 30kg. Great discipline but made easier i guess from the positive feedback through the weight loss.

Positive feedback definitely helps, once you start seeing progress it gives you great motivation to stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

Another thing in common, I've used the 16:8 to get slimmer and similar to demfad, removed sugar and probably overall was eating a lower carb, not no carbs.

Phenomenal weight loss, 60kg, kudos and for the discipline/management of niggles.

Thanks Wottle.

Demfad I bought that book afterwards, some good reading and a lot of nice exercises in it. I'm certainly going to try add a few into my S&C work going forward. Thanks for the advice.

I've been sticking to the plan for the past week. 3.5 hours of cycling on turbo trainer in total and a nice amount of stretching and S&C. I would like to be doing even more cycling but at the moment sitting on saddle for so long is just too sore :o. On the actual road at least you can sit up and rest that area for a small bit. Cycling doesn't quite get the heart rate going like running does for me but it's something to give me that cardio fix.

The pain in foot has been at a very low level all week. Normal day to day activities, just a bit of walking around there is a bit of stiffness but mostly no pain, sometimes a small bit if I push of it in a certain direction. Still if I try any running movements I feel it and know it is there. I've found a good litmus test is trying to jump on a single leg. A couple of jumps on my bad foot and the tension/pain shows very quickly. It will at least be a good way to try and measure success. It's slow progress but knew that was going to be the case.

Struggling to get to sleep so time for another bit of an update.

A lot of cycling on the turbo trainer which is getting pretty boring at this stage but it is at least keeping the cardio ticking over. Hopefully after Easter I will be able to get out onto the actual roads as I would have to be going beyond my 5K at the moment to get a decent cycle in. The fresh air and different scenery would really be nice. In addition a lot of good strength and conditioning work. So so many squats, lunges and mountain climbers. I'm mixing in a few new exercises each workout to try and focus on specific weakness.

The pain from the plantar fascia day to day is now pretty much gone which is great and today after my workout I tested the waters with a short 2.5K run. All good during the run, a small bit of tightness but no pain. After the run was over and the adrenaline wore off there was a bit localized pain. Throughout the evening it has eased and no real pain at the moment but clearly still not 100%.

There is progress and I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel but still too early for regularly running. I'm going with another two weeks no running and test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I’m sure you’re pretty fed up of hearing this from me, but what is the thought process in running at the pace you did yesterday evening while nursing an injury?

I know you’ve stated previously you are doing low enough mileage to allow it but surely not when you’ve been nursing PF for the period of time you have. It’s not a critical observation more a one of not wanting to see a man suffer anymore.

To be honest there wasn't really a great amount of thought about the pace, I was just running to see how the foot felt. I guess with doing a workout just before it the adrenaline was still pumping and I just ran without thinking about it.

A good point though it was unnecessarily risky.

Another recovery update. Almost 6 weeks off now from running but feels like a hell of a lot longer. I've been building up the cycling volume nicely, I'm somewhere between 170 - 190km per week the past few weeks. Most of it on the turbo trainer but getting back onto the road now too. Judging by Strava segments as recreational cyclist go I'm probably just about average at the moment in speed and power but seeing improvements.

I feel like I'm starting to plateau in the recovery of my foot/plantar fasciitis and since my last update here it feels mostly the same. Most of the time there is no pain but still a general stiffness and some slight tenderness. I feel like I could go out and run pain free right now but just not sure if the recovery is enough. So I visited a new physio last week for a second set of eyes on things as I had already moved away from how my previous physio had been treating me by taking a complete break. The new physio also seems to have a few more treatments options available like shockwave therapy. From my first assessment he reckons I am about 80% of the way there with the rest I've given it. My calf is still shockingly tight so focusing heavily on stretching and rolling it. In my next session we are going to assess my movement while running and try find the the source of what caused it in the first place. He is thinking that from here I can get back into some very light running while addressing whatever issues we find with my form. Hopefully some brighter days ahead soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Another recovery update. Almost 6 weeks off now from running but feels like a hell of a lot longer. I've been building up the cycling volume nicely, I'm somewhere between 170 - 190km per week the past few weeks. Most of it on the turbo trainer but getting back onto the road now too. Judging by Strava segments as recreational cyclist go I'm probably just about average at the moment in speed and power but seeing improvements.

I feel like I'm starting to plateau in the recovery of my foot/plantar fasciitis and since my last update here it feels mostly the same. Most of the time there is no pain but still a general stiffness and some slight tenderness. I feel like I could go out and run pain free right now but just not sure if the recovery is enough. So I visited a new physio last week for a second set of eyes on things as I had already moved away from how my previous physio had been treating me by taking a complete break. The new physio also seems to have a few more treatments options available like shockwave therapy. From my first assessment he reckons I am about 80% of the way there with the rest I've given it. My calf is still shockingly tight so focusing heavily on stretching and rolling it. In my next session we are going to assess my movement while running and try find the the source of what caused it in the first place. He is thinking that from here I can get back into some very light running while addressing whatever issues we find with my form. Hopefully some brighter days ahead soon.

Just in regards to the calf, I find this stretch very helpful. You may already have tried this.

https://youtu.be/72p58Iy6u7M

Thanks Lambay I'll give that a try and add it into my routine.

Had another session with the new physio yesterday and my first round of shockwave therapy. A very odd sensation and painful at times but interesting results today. That stiffness that was hanging around has definitely loosened, not completely but a marked improvement.

We did the planned assessment of my running form and he believes it being caused by me being a forefoot striker. The theory makes sense, essentially when my foot hits the ground the calf is already pre engaged and rigid causing extra stress down the achilles and plantar. The plan is to try and adopt a bit more of a mid foot strike. I've been prescribed two shortish runs next week keeping this in mind and we will see how it all reacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Thanks Lambay I'll give that a try and add it into my routine.

Had another session with the new physio yesterday and my first round of shockwave therapy. A very odd sensation and painful at times but interesting results today. That stiffness that was hanging around has definitely loosened, not completely but a marked improvement.

We did the planned assessment of my running form and he believes it being caused by me being a forefoot striker. The theory makes sense, essentially when my foot hits the ground the calf is already pre engaged and rigid causing extra stress down the achilles and plantar. The plan is to try and adopt a bit more of a mid foot strike. I've been prescribed two shortish runs next week keeping this in mind and we will see how it all reacts.

Good luck. I'm also a forefoot striker, even when I walk. I'm at a similar stage with a slight change in running technique. It's not easy and I end up reverting back to type most runs after a few minutes. :)

Progress is finally being made. 3 runs this week.

19/04/21
    3.54K - 17:40 (4:59/km)

This felt pretty comfortable effort wise for my first run back. Breathing was controlled and I was just trying to focus on my biomechanics, higher knee lift and landing on the mid foot.

23/04/21
    3.56K - 15:52 (4:27/km)

Started this out the same as the previous run but opened the legs a bit on the second half of it. I just wanted to see how much fitness I really have lost. There is still speed in the legs but no endurance to hold it, to be expected.

25/04/21
    7K - 34:35 (4:56/km)

I had company on this with my training partner. We weren't really looking at watches for pace or anything just chatting away. The heart rate is definitely a bit higher than it would normally be for this pace but my breathing feels the same.

My foot has held up pretty well too after the above runs. It is a bit tender for a few hours afterwards but no lasting damage the day after. It is all still baby steps but progress I think.

Also some nice cycling during the week including my longest to date of 67km. My legs feel pretty shattered though from the past 6 or 7 weeks or cycling and the power I am able to sustain says the same so I'm going to take a down week this week on that front, just one or two easy turbo trainer sessions probably.

I've had another round of shockwave therapy with the physio and while I was bit skeptical about it at first I do think it is having an impact. The physio did say it would be a cumulative effective and I can see that now.

This week of running I'm going to aim for 2 x 5K and 1 x 8K. I'll step the pace back on all of them and try keep them in the 5:15-5:30 range.

27/04/21
    5.24K - 26:59 (5:09/km)

29/04/21
    6.3K - 30:55 (4:55/km)

01/05/21
    Cycle - 60K - 2:13:27 (27kph)

02/05/21
    1.65K - 6:35 (4:00/km)
    7K - 33:32 (4:46/km)

04/05/21
    6.2K - 30:41 (4:57/km)

06/05/21
    8K - 39:43 (4:57/km)

07/05/21
    8.15K - 39:50 (4:53/km)

08/05/21
    Easy cycle, keeping training partner company on his long run - 25K

09/05/21
    12K - 1:04:51 (5:24/km)

Happy to report another two decent weeks of running. I've been keeping it mostly easy apart from pacing a training partner for a mile TT they were doing. I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how I felt on it from an injury and fitness perspective. Thankfully good on both ends. The foot was fine afterwards and even though it is just a mile the pace felt very comfortable so I'm quite happy with that.

This last week I got in just over 34km of running and this morning my foot is feeling as good as it has for quite a while now which is really positive. I had my last round of shockwave therapy with the physio Saturday and we will give it a two week break before I see him again and see how I handle it. A couple of days before I see him next he wants me to try a harder run to see how the foot reacts. I'm thinking 5K should be ideal, not sure what sort pace I will be able to hold but I will target sub 20.

11/05/21
    8.46K - 40:57 (4:50/km)

Mostly an easy run with a few minutes in the middle and at the end of some quicker pace.

13/05/21
    9.55K - 47:04 (4:56/km)

8.5K of this at around 5:05/km followed by 4 x strides. I wanted to introduced the strides just to push the foot a small bit more to see how it reacted. Thankfully all good, the strides themselves felt ok, my form was good but lacking power in the legs pushing off.

14/05/21
    10.23K - 51:09 (5:00/km)

Standard easy run, building up the mileage again. Another positive is that my average heart rate was on the lower end of where I would expect it to be for this pace.

16/05/21
    13K - 1:09:43 (5:21/km)

An easy/recovery run with a training partner, same one accompanied me last week the longer run. Planned pace for him was 5:25/km so tried to keep it around there. Unfortunately he started to struggle a bit with some back tightness around 5K so we slowed the pace and turned around. Got him home and stayed going for a couple of extra kms myself. Picked the pace up just a small bit while I was on my own.

Everything is still trending positive and just over 40K this week so very happy at the moment. My foot is behaving itself pretty well during and after running, however I am also back playing a bit of golf at the moment and after a round of that it is probably at it's worst. I think this is mostly down to my footwear while walking around so I'm going to look to address that.

Next physio session is on Saturday and as planned I'm going to try to open the legs over a 5K on Thursday before it. I'll hopefully have someone running with me to help drag me along. I'm still really not sure what sort of pace I'll be able to hold over it but I'm looking forward to finding out.

18/05/2021
    8.6K - 42:54 (5:00/km)

20/05/2021 - 5K TT
    5K - 18:13 (3:38/km)

(Splits - 3:37, 3:38, 3:39, 3:41, 3:34)

I wanted to get this one logged as I'm in a bit of shock to be honest, a 40 sec improvement, somehow!!!

The weather today was obviously terrible so with that alone I wasn't expecting much at all. I had company as planned and there is no way I would have done this without it. I was feeling comfortable enough for the first 2km but started to struggle on the third. After the fourth I was really suffering and feeling like I was going to get sick. If I was on my own I probably have stopped at this stage and been happy enough but thankfully I was pulled along to see it out.

Obviously the elephant in the room is that in the past few months I have had 6 weeks no running, just cycling and a few weeks of mostly easy to steady running. I have been feeling very comfortable running lately but even still it doesn't make any sense really. The cycling must been more beneficial than I could ever imagine.

The other big factor here that I can't ignore is the footwear. I wore the Endorphin Speeds on this and I have been loving running in them. There is no doubt they were a factor today but how much is hard to say.

Thankfully my foot is reacting reasonable well. It is a small bit sore I won't lie but still very minor. I'll take tomorrow off before the visit to the physio and see where we go from here. I'm really feel like if I can start to get in some consistent training I still have some big gains to make. There is a provisional date for our county novice road race in less than a months time, subject to restrictions being lifted of course. This is a bit soon but if the foot continues to hold up over the next few weeks it will be tempting to run it.

21/05/2021
    9.23K - 46:32 (5:02/km)

This wasn't planned but my foot was feeling good after the 5K the previous day and I just wanted to get the legs moving as they were feeling pretty heavy. They felt tired on the run but happy to get the miles in.

23/05/2021
    16.4K - 1:22:06 (5:00/km)

Had physio the previous day and the foot was a bit tender from it but the legs were feeling well recovered. It was a horrible morning weather wise but this is why I love running over cycling, just get out and do it. If I had been planning a cycle I would have ended up on the turbo. The first 15K were at 5:06/km pace, feeling very comfortable and I picked it up the last 1K and a bit to 4:00/km. I just wanted to see how the legs would react to trying to pick up the pace after this length of run.

Just shy of 40km for the week, a 5K PB and my longest run since November so a pretty good week all considered. The physio is happy with how I am progressing given the increase in load and intensity but I will still be fairly conservative over the next few weeks. Chatting to my aunt/coach we both think it would be good to race in a few weeks time if the foot continues to hold up. However I will wait for a couple more weeks before getting back into any interval or very high intensity type work. I wouldn't really get huge benefit from this close to a potential race anyway.

In the mean time mostly easy running with some strides and one or two threshold sessions. A couple of friends who got into running over the lockdown are planning a 5K TT this weekend with the goal of breaking 20 so I might pace them for this and use it as a nice workout.

25/05/21
    8.47K - 42:15 (4:59/km)

This is a couple of days ago now but I remember the legs being a bit tired on this one. Probably to be expected after the hard 5K and the 10 mile long run.

27/05/21
    11.06K - 56:04 (5:04/km)

Slowed this one down a bit, the legs were feeling a bit better and thought about adding a few more kilometers but decided against it. Probably the right call.

29/05/21
    5.1K - 19:55 (3:56/km)

Acting as pacer for a group of friends but a nice tempo workout for me. Started out at an ideal pace with just under 4 mins for the first km. However pretty quickly 2 of the 3 had already dropped off a bit and knew it wasn't their day. We decided I would push on with the one who was feeing good. Tried to keep it as evenly paced as I could but there was a small dip in the 4th km as he struggled a bit. We got over that though and picked up a small bit bringing him home in just under the 20 mins which was fantastic and he was really delighted. It was nice to be able to do with him and felt very comfortable myself on it.

30/05/21
    11.1K - 55:20 (4:59/km)

I had intended to go for something a bit longer but was a bit rushed getting this in so just did what I could. No tiredness in the legs from the previous days run.

01/06/21
    16.2K - 1:08:40 (4:14/km)

I've been wanting to do a harder long run for a while, with a potential race in just two weeks and the great weather that was in it this felt like a good time for it. Again I'm a bit unsure about paces at the moment but just set out at something that felt relatively comfortable. This ended up averaging at 4:10/km pace and for the first 9 km this felt very manageable. Unfortunately on the 10th km I got a massive stitch which slowed me right down. I was going to just take it easy for the remainder but it faded away relatively quickly. I got moving again but couldn't quite get back to the same pace and ended up closer to 4:20/km. Being honest the legs had also started to tire. The goal now was to just break the 70 mins for 10 mile which would be a new best.

A great run despite the stitch and very happy to break the 70 mins relatively comfortably but I was wearing the Endorphin Speeds for this again and I'm wondering just how big an impact they are having. I think the next time I try something like this or a tempo I will wear something else to see the difference.

After the run yesterday I also had a sports massage. My calfs in particular are still knotted up hugely. I will try to step up the foaming rolling further but it is difficult to replicate a good massage. Our Novice Road Race is scheduled for the 13th and it will be 6K. I would like to run it if I can. No massive expectations I just want to perform close to what I have been showing in training the past few weeks.

03/06/21
    11.1K - 57:10 (5:08/km)

An easy run after the 10 mile. The legs felt heavy and the heart rate was a bit elevated but got through it without any problems.

04/06/21
    9.5K - 47:28 (5:00/km)

8.5K of this easy @ approx 5:06/km pace then 4 x 100m strides. With each interval I increased the cadence a tad. Again my legs felt a bit heavy but pleased to do them all the same.

06/06/21
    10K - 42:05 (4:12/km)

I headed out with a training partner for this and we had initially planned a bit of an easier run but as tends to be the way when we run together the pace gradually increased throughout it. This was also at midday so was a good bit warmer than what I have been running in and suffered a bit with the heat. Sleeping also hasn't been great lately and it just felt harder than it should. In addition I ran this in the Endorphin Shifts and compared to the Speeds there is definitely a big difference at this type of effort. This 10K felt much harder than the first 10K for the 10 mile earlier in the week.

Even though not as planned I'm glad I did it and this will be the last hard run before the race this weekend. Should be plenty of time for the legs to recover.

08/06/21
    6.75K - 35:23 (5:15/km)

I just wanted a nice run somewhere around easy to recovery and this hit the spot perfectly. Kept the effort nice and easy the whole way which meant slowing more than normal over the hills and the pace being a bit uneven. The legs felt good too after the 10K on Sunday, a very pleasing run.

Last week was my highest mileage so far since getting back at 47K and probably a couple of harder efforts than I had initially planned. It is not exactly what you would do if were trying to peak but this race was never about being in ideal condition as that wasn't possible with the limited training I've had over the past few months, but get out, run hard and hopefully feature for the team. Really I'm just enjoying getting out at and the foot not regressing.

Anyway the rest of the week will be easy, Thursday an easy run with a couple of strides to keep the legs ticking over. Friday another run similar to today and then race on Sunday.

10/06/21
    9.54K - 45:35 (4:47/km)

11/06/21
    4K - 20:54 (5:12/km)

13/06/21 - County Novice 6K Road Race
    6K - 23:20 (3:53/km)

Not much to say apart from it was a very disappointing run. I really thought I could put in a better showing but it was just badly paced and I'm not strong enough to hold any sort of speed over the hills. It was a tough day, warm and a hard course with a long 2.5K drag of a hill but that was the same for everyone so no excuses. Positives were that a team mate got bronze individual and we somehow got 2nd team despite my performance.

Talked with my coach afterwards and she said just take the positives. Enjoy the fact I was able to run at all and given what I have been able to do over the past 6 months don't be too hard on myself. It is still tough to not feel a bit deflated but I'm just going to try turn it into motivation. My foot was a bit tender afterwards but today it is reasonably ok. I'm still going to need to be cautious but I will try to slowly ramp up the training now in mileage and intensity.

• Advertisement

15/06/21
    11.1K - 53:40 (4:50/km)

This was a bit of an aimless run, still in a bit of a mood after the race to be honest but it did help clear the head a bit.

16/06/21
    7.3K - 37:05 (5:05/km)

Dialed the pace back a bit on this. The goal for this week was primarily to try get 5 days running in but kept this short enough as I didn't want an overall big increase in the mileage too.

17/06/21
    16.16K - 1:15:02 (4:39/km)

This run just sort of evolved as I was doing it. Started at a steady pace but the legs naturally got a bit quicker without feeling like the effort was increasing massively so went with it and it turned into a progression run for the first 10K. I wasn't going to be able to keep up the level of progression for the whole run without really pushing hard so dialled it back to a steady pace for 5K and then opened the legs for the last 1K with a 3:32 K.

19/06/21
    7.82K - 35:01 (4:29/km)

Back out to the woods to start getting in some hill work. The last time I did this was in October last year due to a mix of restrictions and injury. I was about 2 mins slower than how I was running it back then but I expected as much after the race. I was mostly interested in how my foot reacted afterwards as hard running on hills has not been kind with this injury. Thankfully all was relatively good, certainly a bit tender but a lot better than I hoped. This is about as strenuous a work out as I've given it in quite a while so great to have it hold up.

20/06/21
    10.5K - 55:39 (5:19/km)

A nice easy recovery run to round out the 5 days of running this week. Just over half of this on grass for a nice change.

A bit of an aimless week and running a bit too hard overall. I feel like I'm definitely lacking direction or a clear goal at the moment. While the foot is holding up it is still not quite 100% so I don't think I could go into a full training block. I guess I'm still not quite out of the recovery phase. We have our senior county road race in 5 weeks time and while I'd prefer not to do it from a fitness perspective I'm sure I will be encouraged to.

I think I will focus on keeping the 5 days a week going and keep gradually building the weekly mileage to 60ishK. I'll dial back 3 of the runs to an easy pace with some strides at the end of one, and keep the hard runs for the woods and during the long run with either some tempo or fartlek type running but limit it to 20 -25 mins.

Advertisement