Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The end of the Ford Mondeo

• 25-03-2021 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭

Worth marking this as the end of an era. Going all the way back to the Cortina in 1962
    Ford has announced it will phase out the Mondeo early next year after nearly three decades of production.

The saloon car used to be hugely popular among executives and families, with about five million sold in Europe since its introduction in 1993.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40251650.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SUVs will get the blame here, but Ford dropped the ball years ago on the Mondeo,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ford did the same in the US in 2018 stopping sales of sedans to focus on trucks and SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I though they announced this about 2 years ago as even The Grand Tour did a special on it. Auto Express had an article a few months back stating the Mondeo badge would live on as a new crossover. Then again Auto Express are as believable as The Sun newspaper when it comes to fact.

In fairness the last one wasn't a bad car, did nothing spectacular though. Europe just got it too late nearly half way into it's life cycle so it felt old from the off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I don't think the SUV is to blame for this, Ford will still have the focus, fiesta to make and sell.

And probably to be fair, the saloon car is a dying breed anyway in favor of more practical hatchbacks and estate cars plus suvs. In a time where cars are getting very economical and environmentally friendly, a modern SUV won't be as bad to drive environmentally compared to years ago when it was mostly range rovers and land cruisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I ....
    And probably to be fair, the saloon car is a dying breed anyway in favor of more practical hatchbacks and estate cars plus suvs. In a time where cars are getting very economical and environmentally friendly, a modern SUV won't be as bad to drive environmentally compared to years ago when it was mostly range rovers and land cruisers.

Anything large and heavy will always be less economical and environmentally friendly than something smaller and lighter. So the trend of upsizing isn't really a good thing.

“Simplify, then add lightness”,

• Advertisement

I don't think the SUV is to blame for this, Ford will still have the focus, fiesta to make and sell.

The Mondeo was a hatchback and estate.

In the US it’s a saloon alright, and on some of the hybrids and Vignales they did a saloon here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

To be fair Ford Europe must be getting twitchy bums at this stage that they won't be around in the medium future.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Mondeo was a hatchback and estate.

In the US it’s a saloon alright, and on some of the hybrids and Vignales they did a saloon here.

Yes very true, but I would be under the impression that the fucus would be a good enough replacement for it now.

I see more and more focuses as a company car where as years age it was the mondeo.

I just get the impression the focus, fiesta, transit etc are much more popular than the mondeo.

I don't think it will be the end of Ford in Europe though. I think that's looking too much into it when you take in to account the amount of fiestas, focuses , transits, rangers, 7 seaters, compact suvs etc that are being sold by them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I don't think it will be the end of Ford in Europe though. I think that's looking too much into it when you take in to account the amount of fiestas, focuses , transits, rangers, 7 seaters, compact suvs etc that are being sold by them
    For all their sales, Ford themselves tell you they've been running Ford Europe at a loss for YEARS

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I kind of like that the family saloon is dying and the exec saloons remain. It'll make for a lovely batch of cheap used ex company cars for enthusiasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Does it mean, mondeo price will go down?

https://www.carsireland.ie/2771707

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yes very true, but I would be under the impression that the fucus would be a good enough replacement for it now.

I went from a focus to a Mondeo, because the focus wasn't big enough. It's not going to be a suitable replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had one as a rental in the US a few years back:

20190115-064126.jpg
    20190118-151237.jpg

They are called the Fusion over there. It was a 2.0 litre Ecoboost with AWD. It was grand, nothing special but felt small compared to the mass number of oversized SUVs and pickup trucks on the road. They are popular enough and Ford still built them up to last year for the likes of rental companies and federal agencies. They were used as police cars in recent times there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I kind of like that the family saloon is dying and the exec saloons remain. It'll make for a lovely batch of cheap used ex company cars for enthusiasts.

I'll have a look at the 5 series when it's time for a replacement.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I went from a focus to a Mondeo, because the focus wasn't big enough. It's not going to be a suitable replacement.

I don't agree with it myself but maybe that's the way they'll play it. A few more estate focuses popping around. Still wouldn't be my thing anymore.

Laugh it up, but the large executive saloon will eventually be replaced with some sort of SUV too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think crossover/SUV buyers have lower standards,
    i.e. they will tolerate shortcomings that wouldn’t be as easily forgiven in hatches and saloons.
    The likes of the Golf was the pinnacle of everything for a long time, the interior was the benchmark that its rivals just couldn’t reach.
    Then the likes of the Qashqai came along and none of that stuff mattered anymore.
    Maybe the crossover thing was a big reset on traditional values, but the likes of Kia and Hyundai who couldn’t do a great mid range saloon to save their lives, are killing it in the crossover market.
    The Nissan pulsar is generally derided, but it’s Qashqai sister is hugely popular.

That’s why I think Ford is getting out of the difficult models (which other manufacturers continue to do well in, see Skoda and VW for examples) where an average effort is a failure, and getting more into crossovers where any old toss will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

i.e. they will tolerate shortcomings that wouldn’t be as easily forgiven in hatches and saloons.
    The likes of the Golf was the pinnacle of everything for a long time, the interior was the benchmark that its rivals just couldn’t reach.
    Then the likes of the Qashqai came along and none of that stuff mattered anymore.
    Maybe the crossover thing was a big reset on traditional values, but the likes of Kia and Hyundai who couldn’t do a great mid range saloon to save their lives, are killing it in the crossover market.
    The Nissan pulsar is generally derided, but it’s Qashqai sister is hugely popular.

That’s why I think Ford is getting out of the difficult models (which other manufacturers continue to do well in, see Skoda and VW for examples) where an average effort is a failure, and getting more into crossovers where any old toss will do.

In most countries, if you have a big SUV, you are seen as rich, well-off individual, for my taste a black shiny saloon car are far more luxurious to look at than a SUV/crossover.

Fck8n state of juke, ecosport and puma.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

FrankC21 wrote: »
    In most countries, if you have a big SUV, you are seen as rich, well-off individual, for my taste a black shiny saloon car are far more luxurious to look at than a SUV/crossover.

Fck8n state of juke, ecosport and puma.

I think all the low end fwd / barely awd crossovers are all fugly little things. The discovery, pajero, landcruiser, range rover, defender are the last real offroad machines left, most of the rest of it is just laughably sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I think all the low end fwd / barely awd crossovers are all fugly little things. The discovery, pajero, landcruiser, range rover, defender are the last real offroad machines left, most of the rest of it is just laughably sad.

Couldn't have said it better myself:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Couldn't have said it better myself:D:D

The current discovery is absolutely hideous, an suv styled like a bus, and the new defender is the ultimate Chelsea tractor.

The current mondeo estate is a lovely looking bus in the right colour. Shame it has a typical ford interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

road_high wrote: »

Looks like it might not be coming to Europe now either.

I think Fords biggest problem was image. Unfortunatly Fird just do not have much of an image. In fact I would say Kia and Hyundai have a better image than Ford now. A pity as while Ford did make some turns like the Escourt and MK3 Mondeo both absolutely terrible cars they made some great cars like the Focus, C-Max, S-Max and even the B-Max was brilliant.
    I am surprised the Mondeo got this far. It really should have been axed when they made the MK3.
    Still it had a longer life than the poor Renault Laguna but then Renault brought that on themselves by rushing the Mk 2 Laguna to market without proper quality tests and that doomed the Laguna unfortunatly.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Apart from the Motor industry side of this announcement, there is a cultural element to the end of the line with the Mondeo.

The Cortina Mark I-V was one of those cars that defined the period from 1962 to 1982. The Sierra eventually finding favour in the 80s. Some Cortinas were assembled in Cork. Was there a car that screamed the 70s more than the MkIII Cortina, especially one with a vinyl roof.

I have a Top Gear book called 'My Dad had one of those', it defines the Cortina as the ultimate Dad car. Everyone's Dad had one, or so it seemed.

In the 90s and early 2000s Tony Blair relied on what was termed 'Mondeo Man' to sweep into Downing St at three elections running. It was the Cortina class, the Sierra class, the Mondeo class until fairly recently. So it's a changing of the times, at least for old nostalgic sods anyway.

Apart from the Motor industry side of this announcement, there is a cultural element to the end of the line with the Mondeo.

The Cortina Mark I-V was one of those cars that defined the period from 1962 to 1982. The Sierra eventually finding favour in the 80s. Some Cortinas were assembled in Cork. Was there a car that screamed the 70s more than the MkIII Cortina, especially one with a vinyl roof.

I have a Top Gear book called 'My Dad had one of those', it defines the Cortina as the ultimate Dad car. Everyone's Dad had one, or so it seemed.

In the 90s and early 2000s Tony Blair relied on what was termed 'Mondeo Man' to sweep into Downing St at three elections running. It was the Cortina class, the Sierra class, the Mondeo class until fairly recently. So it's a changing of the times, at least for old nostalgic sods anyway.

FG here go after the Tucson/Sportage/qashqai on pcp brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’ll be disappointed to see the end of it personally. Always had a soft spot for Ford and particularly the Sierra/mondeo since childhood with the father having had a few. Still think the previous focus to the current one is a cracking looking car. Too many going the suv route imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think the Mondeo is seen as the epitome of the "3 box saloon" - Ford ending production is seen as the end of the line for an automotive styling concpet that spans back 50 odd years.

On a more specific note, the Mondeo was imo one of the few mid range family cars / saloons that was actually not a bad tool to pilot down a road - compare it to the equivalent GM product of the last 50 years it was invariably the better drive. For that I will regret the Mondeos demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Truth is, the Mondeo is crap compared to the Mazda 6, the Passat and most importantly the Superb.

I don't think its so much the end of the market, more that Ford haven't given enough attention to the model in this current generation. Its cheap and nasty and utterly anonymous. In fairness they have done a great job with the current Fiesta and Puma and if thats where they want to focus their attention, so be it.

I love a nicely proportioned 3 box saloon, I've had loads over the years and I don't see that changing. Will probably trade in my older S60 for an S90 during the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Truth is, the Mondeo is crap compared to the Mazda 6, the Passat and most importantly the Superb.

I don't think its so much the end of the market, more that Ford haven't given enough attention to the model in this current generation. Its cheap and nasty and utterly anonymous. In fairness they have done a great job with the current Fiesta and Puma and if thats where they want to focus their attention, so be it.

I love a nicely proportioned 3 box saloon, I've had loads over the years and I don't see that changing. Will probably trade in my older S60 for an S90 during the year.

Saw what you did there:D

Advertisement