Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wheel upgrade, worth it?

• 24-03-2021 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'd say I was around a 110 kg mark when I started cycling and needed some bombproof wheels as the factory wheels were not up to scratch on my Defy 3.
    6 years have gone, down to 93-95 kgs plus bike. And still using 36 spoke Rose's Airline 4's both front and rear. I tackle less than perfect country roads, newly laid loose chippings or old, worn surfaces with a lovely whacked some tarmac into potholes things.

I wonder that if I upgrade, the wheel strength would be affected? Less spokes mean less rigidity for me visually, it's the bad experience with the Giant wheels.

All in all, I'd like to improve, and beside the training I'd like to get some faster wheels as well, there could be savings to be made on the longer spins as well because once I set off, I aim for at least 50-60kms. I suppose it's similar to the car rim's story: heavy wheel come with more consumption, so it wears you out earlier.

Would you recommend me wheelsets, please? It must be a clincher, not costing a fortune, (tubulars and glue not my cup of tea). I'm well used to them, it's easier to use the spare tube at the side of the road when punctured.
    Thank you!

Comments

padyjoe wrote: »
    I'd say I was around a 110 kg mark when I started cycling and needed some bombproof wheels as the factory wheels were not up to scratch on my Defy 3.
    6 years have gone, down to 93-95 kgs plus bike. And still using 36 spoke Rose's Airline 4's both front and rear. I tackle less than perfect country roads, newly laid loose chippings or old, worn surfaces with a lovely whacked some tarmac into potholes things.

I wonder that if I upgrade, the wheel strength would be affected? Less spokes mean less rigidity for me visually, it's the bad experience with the Giant wheels.

All in all, I'd like to improve, and beside the training I'd like to get some faster wheels as well, there could be savings to be made on the longer spins as well because once I set off, I aim for at least 50-60kms. I suppose it's similar to the car rim's story: heavy wheel come with more consumption, so it wears you out earlier.

Would you recommend me wheelsets, please? It must be a clincher, not costing a fortune, (tubulars and glue not my cup of tea). I'm well used to them, it's easier to use the spare tube at the side of the road when punctured.
    Thank you!

on my previous bike (now the winter/commuter bike) I upgraded the wheels to a pair of Fulcrum Racing 3s. It was like getting a new bike to be honest. It was a big upgrade and the wheels are probably too good for the bike, but I am about the same weight as you and after about 2000kms on them, I have zero regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Aegir wrote: »
    on my previous bike (now the winter/commuter bike) I upgraded the wheels to a pair of Fulcrum Racing 3s. It was like getting a new bike to be honest. It was a big upgrade and the wheels are probably too good for the bike, but I am about the same weight as you and after about 2000kms on them, I have zero regrets.

I noticed this too. I bought a new set for nice bike and trickled down the old set to winter bike. The difference was most noticeable on the old bike.

So probably fair to say you will get the most benefit if replacing a basic set of wheels with a mid range set but the difference between mid range and top range will be less “worth it” in absolute terms.

Edited just to add: most wheelsets will tell you the max rider+bike weight. I think it can range from around 90-120kg for your standard wheelset. So just check it out online for whatever you’re looking at. Given where you’re starting from (the Rose wheels you mention), the rough roads, and typical distance 50/60km I wonder if something like Mavic Ksyririums might suit? Readily available, bomb proof, easily serviced etc. There’s a few different levels to fit most budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

I went from the stock fitted Fulcrum Racing 7's which served me well for about 8 years with regular maintenance & still have them packed away as a backup.

Decided on a marginal upgrade to Fulcrum Racing 5 LG's. Instantly transformed the ride and feel. The Racing 5's feel like they can take a lot more punishment than the 7's and still remain true out of the box.

I'm probably around 100kg or above now due to a lack of activity over the past year but am getting out a bit more now and don't feel any flex from the 5's. I would be a wee bit worried about the 7's taking my current weight though as I've found them to flex ( was about 90kgs then ) and had the get them trued (twice) and also popped the odd spoke.

P.S. - Just had a look to see when I bought the 5's :eek:

'Fulcrum Racing 5 LG Wheelset With GP4000s II Tyres & Tubes - Black/Shimano/ 8-11 Speed/700c/Clincher
    = Total €258,49 in Jan 2016 from Merlin Cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Wheel upgrade worth it?

Yes.

Always.

Need to state a budget though if you want recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Hey..
    Interesting question. I’ve ridden everything from stock wheels to full carbon wheels over the years and I’ve settled on sub-€500 as the best everyday solution.

That sort of money fetches a mid-range wheel which is strong/light/stiff/reliable enough for the vast majority.

As others have mentioned, Mavic Ksyriums, Campag Zonda, Fulcrum Racing 3s are great wheels in that range.

Another point to mention; if you’re using budget tyres, an upgrade to something like Conti GP5000 can make a huge difference alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭secman

For not huge money Zondas are a big improvement on stock wheels. I use Zondas, Fulcrum Racing 3' and Quattros on 2 winter bikes, all which are very noticeably better than stock wheels . All are running on GP4000's and Gp5000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thanks a million!

I don't want to spend a price of a new bike but the before mentioned price point of around €500 is spot on. I've always been a fan of mid range which is a big step but still money left over for few beers. It has to take a 9 speed cassette as well.
    TBH, I'm happy with my tyres, running a Rubino Pro Endurance and Pro4 Service Course combo at the moment. I now have to start to look around what is available to my requirements.

Zonda wheelset for €396 on Mantel. Correct

Better still, only €332 on Chain Reaction, Edit : my mistake €415 , was looking at campag scirroco :(

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

secman wrote: »
    Zonda wheelset for €396 on Mantel.
    Better still, only €332 on Chain Reaction

Great value there but Zonda’s showing at 415 for me on CRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Zonda wheelset for €396 on Mantel.
    Better still, only €332 on Chain Reaction

Sciroccos listed at that price on CRC - Zondas are €416. I haven't used Sciroccos but they look like a decent option. Slightly heavier than Zondas but still a decent upgrade from most stock wheels.

FWIW, a pair of Zondas lasted me over 27,000km before the brake track cracked on the rear wheel. They'd have lasted longer if I hadn't used hard Shimano 105 5800 pads for the first 6,000km that wore the rims quite quickly before I switched to SwissStop.

I swapped the Zondas out for a pair of Fulcrum Racing 3 that I had on another bike. So far I've over 14,000km on the Fulcrums. The only problem I had was with the freehub bearings that wore after 9,000km. A replacement freehub set me back €60 from Alltricks. I could have got the bearings for less but then I would have had the additional cost of the tool and my time so I opted for the complete freehub.

• Advertisement

So many great wheels out there! You have given me the itch, I can't wait to get something different and experience how the bike will handle. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us as well, it's been such a relief in the few previous days that one could head out knowing it'd be dry.

I'm afraid of one thing though: if it goes down well, I might advanced into getting a bike No.2. The idea is already is lurking there behind (my BTW scheme is up already) and the Defy is nearing 30k kms. I can't fault it really, it has served me reliably over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

There are a lot of good mid priced wheels out there. I have had 2 pairs of Prime wheels and was highly impressed. I also have a set of Venn Rev 35 clinchers which are amazing and probably the best bang for buck wheels I've ever had.

The Zondas would be my choice for a bombproof upgrade from stock wheels as would Fulcrum 3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭pairofpears

I went through the same thing lately about getting a new set of wheels. I am having Lukasz in Apex cycles in Kildare make up a set of wheels for me. He is using DT Swiss 350s hubs and RR411 rims to make me a set of wheels that will be more easily repaired than factory built wheels I have been told by another wheel builder.

I wanted DT Swiss 240S hubs originally but €200 more to save 100g just wasn't worth it for me. Hoping to get them soon enough from him as he builds them up regiular enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

What price is he charging for these and also which spoke are you going with?

I went through the same thing lately about getting a new set of wheels. I am having Lukasz in Apex cycles in Kildare make up a set of wheels for me. He is using DT Swiss 350s hubs and RR411 rims to make me a set of wheels that will be more easily repaired than factory built wheels I have been told by another wheel builder.

I wanted DT Swiss 240S hubs originally but €200 more to save 100g just wasn't worth it for me. Hoping to get them soon enough from him as he builds them up regiular enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭pairofpears

What price is he charging for these and also which spoke are you going with?

€450 for the wheels with standard rounded J style spokes. Quick releases are extra but that not an issue for me. He's a decent lad to talk to and does go into detail on the whole lot regarding your weight and spoke count. We covered tubeless and the disadvantages he finds with it.
    Haven't got the wheels yet but from talking to him so far he's not bull****ting me just to get my money like others may do and he's not selling me something I won't need or be suitable for my cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

interesting thread!! I have easton 700 wheelset wonder if worth an upgrade?

I depends how much your wheelset weighs.
    I just had a quick measurement: my front wheel is 1370 grams all in, I'd say the rear is the same (both have matching rim, spoke count, hub). So I'm rotating about 2 kgs every time when on a spin.
    With a lighter but strong enough wheelset, this comes down to 1.5 kgs, which is nearly half a kilo savings. Regarding to a rotational inertia this is less mass to move, so in theory, it equals to better acceleration or less muscle fatigue over a same distance.
    This won't make a Froome out of you but gives you a better handling and an extra motivation. I don't want to sacrifice the bombproofness either. My current setup is maxed out at 140 kgs but I'm not heavier than 110 kgs at the moment, I think is too much cushion there, I can get lighter wheel up to 120kg, it's a no brainer then and still within the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Hi, I just found this thread - same as the original OP, looking to upgrade my wheelset. Of the wheelsets people mentioned - fulcrum/mavic/campag zondas, which would have the quietest freewheel? I have an old set of mavics - the freewheel bugs me, whereas I am running an old set of ultegra 6600 hubs on open pro rims on my commuter and the freewheel is practically silent. Thanks in advance to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Think Fulcrum and Campag are basically the same company and Zondas are famously loud. By process of elimination Mavic is probably the quietest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lissard wrote: »
    Think Fulcrum and Campag are basically the same company and Zondas are famously loud. By process of elimination Mavic is probably the quietest.

i have fulcrum 6 and zonda on 2 bikes shimano hubs on the rest. had mavic wheels before as well,

apart from shimano definitely been the quietest the rest are about the same once I'm on the bike i don't really notice any of them

• Advertisement

Does the seasonality apply to the wheels as well?
    DT Swiss Pr1600 23 wheelset (9s hub) has caught my eye, Mantel has them atm, all the other place stating stock coming in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

Zonda wheelset for €396 on Mantel. Correct

Better still, only €332 on Chain Reaction, Edit : my mistake €415 , was looking at campag scirroco :(

Thanks for this. I bought a set of the Zonda's. They make a huge difference over the stock wheels. The old ones were like anchors compared to the Zonda's

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Just wondering if you got these wheels yet and if so how do you find them? Also be interested in what you were upgrading from

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Drake66 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I bought a set of the Zonda's. They make a huge difference over the stock wheels. The old ones were like anchors compared to the Zonda's

Keep the spokes well tensioned! Worth a check a few times a month anyway.

They are nice wheels alright. You'll enjoy 'em.

They are a very good Bang for buck and they are a huge improvement over stock wheels, enjoy.... did you get them for €396 ? Great value, I paid nearer to €500 when I bought mine about 2 yrs ago, still going strong on the winter bike.

They are a very good Bang for buck and they are a huge improvement over stock wheels, enjoy.... did you get them for €396 ? Great value, I paid nearer to €500 when I bought mine about 2 yrs ago, still going strong on the winter bike.

Yeah I got them on Mantel for 396. I had never used them before but the delivery was fast. Im really happy with them. It's like having a new bike. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Make sure you spoil the new wheels with premium hoops!

Nothing worse than spanky rims with dead rubber.

No Luganos, Gators, or Duranos or any of that old muck now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Anyone here with thoughts on Chinese carbon wheels like Yoeleo? Anyone running them here?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Make sure you spoil the new wheels with premium hoops!

Nothing worse than spanky rims with dead rubber.

No Luganos, Gators, or Duranos or any of that old muck now :pac:

Yeah I put some continental 5000 on them. The move from 23s to 25s has made things much more comfortable

• Advertisement

To upgrade the thread:
    I got a wheel built in the end: DT Swiss R460 rims, 350 hubs, 24& 28 Sapim spokes, 1700g with rim tapes.
    Big change: less smoke, more poke now. The pedal flow is much smoother, acceleration improved, more prompt response on changing directions, I have a weird feeling there's something wrong down below. :-) I reckon these are wider rims as I had to adjust the brake cables because the pads were squeezing against the surface. The hub is really quiet, coming from 105.
    ATM I have 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC on front, Vittoria Rubino PE on rear, so no grip problems either.
    It's time to lose more weight. From myself: hovering around 93kgs, would be great to see sub 90. Time and weather will tell.

Advertisement