Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lassykk's SURLAW - Lassykk got talent

• 25-03-2021 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Hello,

And welcome to my second SURLAW - Lassykk got Talent.

I have a guilty pleasure and that's listening to the best musical auditions from the Got Talent iterations, the Voice, etc and over the years have been blown away by them. I will state now that I cannot abide reality TV so once the sob stories start I turn off the video so I've decided for this iteration I'm going to pick twenty of my favourite auditions for the voters to chose from.

Hopefully people will enjoy this as I didn't think just picking another 20 songs I love would be the best thing to do.

Shamefully copied:
    For the regulars who are familiar with Walrus, this is essentially the opposite, where the host picks the songs, and you lovely people in Forum Games rate them via PM.

Then the Reveal is very much like how the Eurovision results are done.

How It Will Work:
    -Below I've linked to a YouTube Playlist with the 20 Songs in contention - I cannot provide a Spotify version due to the nature of the list

-What you have to do, is just listen to them and figure out which 10 you like the best

-When you're ready Private Message a numbered list from 1-10 of your choices (with 1 being your favourite of the songs and 10 being your 10th favourite)

-First choices will earn 12 points, second 10 points, and third onwards 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 points respectively (just like in Eurovision)

-Once I've closed sign ups and tallied up all the points, I'll do a reveal thread, going through how everyone ranked the songs and adding the points to the running total (again, just like Eurovision)

It probably sounds more complicated than it actually is. Basically, listen to the songs here and then PM (that's Private Message for anyone joining us here for the first time) me your 10 favourites numbered 1 to 10 with 1 being your favourite.

Please send me a list of 10 songs ; it won't work if people just pick 6 or 7 and then decide they don't want any of the rest, so even if you're not crazy about all 10 songs you choose, go for 10 anyway

Here's the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5vKTA4ntssJyH3Rq68yabYDPBJREtNHA

Sign ups will be open for at least a couple of weeks to allow the max number of entrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

All I Want - Steve McCrorie

Chandelier - Jordan Smith

I Don't Know My Name - Grace VanDerWaal

Dancing on my Own - Calum Scott

Wrecking Ball - Christina Grimmie

Nessun Dorma - Paul Potts

I Have Nothing - Johnny Manuel

Try - Mandy Harvey

Best Thing I Never Had - Beth Spangler

Without You - Avery Wilson

Nobody Knows - James David Carter

She's Always A Woman - Isaac Waddington

The Prayer - Macelito Pomoy

When we were young - Fernando Daniel

Dream On - Travis Cormier

Shadow of the Day - Homsing Ronra Shimray

With Arms Wide Open - Yoeri

Wish You Were Here - Rob Reynolds

The Chain - Chloe Kohanski

When Doves Cry - Sam Perry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I haven't entered a Surlaw yet, yay! And this is a topic I can agree on (I like the singing talent shows for the talent and not the drama :D) Definitely going to make time to listen and enter this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Getting a "This Playlist Does Not Exist" message for the link in your OP.

You sure you got it set to Public?

Great theme by the way. Something different anyway, should be fun...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Great theme lassy!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This would be so much more fun if it was a load of car crash auditions. They're the only bit of the show worth watching imo. :D

• Advertisement

Hmmm. This could be tougher than I though. After a brief initial listen, some are singing songs I love but their covers pale in comparison to the original, while other clearly have amazing voices, but I'm not gone on the song.

Anyway, I've always wanted to be a Judge on one of these shows (I have gotten the opportunity to judge a couple of amateur talent shows over the years, which were fun), so I'll definitely enjoy ranking these.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ooh...

I think this is a great idea lassy

...but I am not a fan of these shows at all!

Will this convince me?
    Not based on what ASLB just said :pac:

Getting a "This Playlist Does Not Exist" message for the link in your OP.

You sure you got it set to Public?

Sorry, it was private - updated now.

Cheers for pointing out

Ooh...

I think this is a great idea lassy

...but I am not a fan of these shows at all!

Will this convince me?
    Not based on what ASLB just said :pac:

I can't stand the shows themselves at all but I love the surprise of hearing someone singing so well (or not if you disagree!). I literally never listen to the judges comments and just turn off as soon as the video gets to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Sorry Lass, I'd like to enter but listening to that lot is a bridge too far :eek:

Sorry Lass, I'd like to enter but listening to that lot is a bridge too far :eek:

I sensed that could be an issue with my choices alright ;)

If it's a train wreck I will return to subjecting everyone to my rock music tastes instead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

lassykk wrote: »

If it's a train wreck I will return to subjecting everyone to my rock music tastes instead
    Those types of shows are Hell for me, anything connected with that twerp Cowell I give it a wide berth.
    I would follow you through the very gates of Hades, Lassy, but not to Hell-please not to Hell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Not my cup of tea either, but it's a surlaw so I will give it a go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hmmm. This could be tougher than I though. After a brief initial listen, some are singing songs I love but their covers pale in comparison to the original, while other clearly have amazing voices, but I'm not gone on the song

This is my issue too. I think I'm generally favouring the songs I don't like for that reason. There's one for example, I'm sure they're good but they're singing one of my favourite songs and they can go to hell!

This is my issue too. I think I'm generally favouring the songs I don't like for that reason. There's one for example, I'm sure they're good but they're singing one of my favourite songs and they can go to hell!

Lol, you won't see any Pearl Jam covers in my list for good reason :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just noticed LeVar's best friend C-Lo Green in one of the videos :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Well that was difficult - I tried to skip past some of the sob stories included in the videos so not to be influenced.

Necro wrote: »
    Just noticed LeVar's best friend C-Lo Green in one of the videos :D

It was one of the nights they were recording The Voice in LA (I know because someone was trying to get us tickets to go be in the audience, but it feel through) that I had my altercation with him (a couple of hours after they would've finished recording), so it could very well have been the day that clip was recorded...

giphy.gif

cee_jay wrote: »
    Well that was difficult - I tried to skip past some of the sob stories included in the videos so not to be influenced.

Yeah sorry I tried to find just the music where I could but not always possible

Two entries in already :D

cee_jay wrote: »

My pet hate is the kids ones :D

My pet hate is the kids ones :D

The one kid entry I included is insanely talented!

The one kid entry I included is insanely talented!

Oh I just mean in general, when they wheel out the 6 year olds etc

Oh I just mean in general, when they wheel out the 6 year olds etc

Sorry I left out an emoji on my post. Wasn't a serious or defensive statement ;)

I couldn't imagine putting my kids under pressure like that. Regardless of their talent I just think it's wrong.

• Advertisement

The toughest SURLAW I've done.

Could have thrown a blanket over most of them and none of them were offensive to listen to.

Outside my top two, I could send in a list every day for the year and the order would be different.

Advertisement