Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'd say Christy Burke or maybe Nial Ring, but it's probably Mannix Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Who's North Dublin's Labre34?. That's what I want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Labre34 oddly enough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Labre34 oddly enough :pac:

I'll get the popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'll be watching. I'm always watching......

In fairness, I don't particularly give a stuff about any individual project. What I do care about is all projects passing the proper planning standard.

Whatever way the High Court decides that the Strand Road / Beach Road scheme should be consulted and approved is how all other schemes thereafter will have to be dealt with.

So from that point of view, if they pass a Part 8 or other process, I'll be the first to say fire ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'll be watching. I'm always watching......

In fairness, I don't particularly give a stuff about any individual project. What I do care about is all projects passing the proper planning standard.

Whatever way the High Court decides that the Strand Road / Beach Road scheme should be consulted and approved is how all other schemes thereafter will have to be dealt with.

So from that point of view, if they pass a Part 8 or other process, I'll be the first to say fire ahead.

And Im sure this applies to all roads, housing etc. and not just cycle lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

isn't this a bit like helmets/hi-viz for cyclists, or tax and insurance for e-scooters? I mean, make it difficult, nay impossible, for the compliance aspect to be met so that really the project/initiative can never actually happen.

Handy way of hiding behind compliance or running to the instruments of the state to impose new levels of compliance when previous levels are achieved. We'd never be that disingenuous though I think/hope. At least the folks I know in Sandymount have been fairly candid when they say "we don't want our area modified".

The US Senate was fond of the regular fillibuster to slow up proceedings and make it impossible to get stuff done, maybe this is our version?

Certainly Mannix, God love him, does seem to enjoy a bit of interference for interference sake, sticking it to "the man" etc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Some of the proposed routes sound great, Coolock to Clontarf and Finglas to Killester would be of much use to me.
    Any update on when the fabled Fairview bike lane will start? I saw business owners and residents moaning about it on Facebook saying it'll destroy business etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

collins avenue is a strange road - in some places it's extremely wide, but there are other places (whitehall GAA club) where it's very narrow. will be interesting to see how they engineer that.

I can't see any way of doing Vernon Avenue and Brookwood Avenue, Vernon Ave especially is covered in on street parking, especially around the entrance to St Anne's.
    With the climate bill yesterday you'd think these things would be a no brainer, but I just refuse to believe they'll be able to roll these things out properly because of uproar from motorists and their counselors.
    Would be great for the schoolkids around there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

breezy1985 wrote: »
    And Im sure this applies to all roads, housing etc. and not just cycle lanes

Thats the point isn't it, it already does apply to those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I can't see any way of doing Vernon Avenue and Brookwood Avenue, Vernon Ave especially is covered in on street parking, especially around the entrance to St Anne's.
    With the climate bill yesterday you'd think these things would be a no brainer, but I just refuse to believe they'll be able to roll these things out properly because of uproar from motorists and their counselors.
    Would be great for the schoolkids around there though.

Brookwood Avenue is plenty wide for a segregated cycle lane Monk. And if they used the grassed areas on Vernon Avenue, which are already cycled and parked on on a daily basis, there is more than enough room for a cycle lane here again.

It would get trickier from the junction of Kincora Road as it narrows quite a lot from there to the seafront. Personally I'd make that a 1 way traffic flow, towards the seafront.

I emailed Catherine Stocker asking if there's any more details but she said that map is all they have, and hoping to get further info in Autumn.

Brookwood Avenue is plenty wide for a congregated cycle lane Monk. And if they used the grassed areas on Vernon Avenue, which are already cycled and parked on on a daily basis, there is more than enough room for a cycle lane here again.

It would get trickier from the junction of Kincora Road as it narrows quite a lot from there to the seafront. Personally I'd make that a 1 way traffic flow, towards the seafront.

I emailed Catherine Stocker asking if there's any more details but she said that map is all they have, and hoping to get further info in Autumn.

I have a friend who lives in Brookwood Avenue who usually owns about 3 or 4 cars and has them splattered all over the road, he wont be much amused if this goes ahead! With all the trees on that avenue too I'm not sure how they'd do it, but then I'm not a city planner so I hope they get something done.

Yes the bottleneck at Clontarf where the shops are is an absolute disaster as is, should be one way cycle lane or not, and bollards are needed as there are nearly always Range Rovers illegally parked all over the footpaths outside O'Brien's etc.

I have a friend who lives in Brookwood Avenue who usually owns about 3 or 4 cars and has them splattered all over the road, he wont be much amused if this goes ahead! With all the trees on that avenue too I'm not sure how they'd do it, but then I'm not a city planner so I hope they get something done.

Yes the bottleneck at Clontarf where the shops are is an absolute disaster as is, should be one way cycle lane or not, and bollards are needed as there are nearly always Range Rovers illegally parked all over the footpaths outside O'Brien's etc.

He can replace 2 or 3 of those cars with bikes when there's better cycling infrastructure right outside his front door :D

He can replace 2 or 3 of those cars with bikes when there's better cycling infrastructure right outside his front door :D

I know, I'll be the first to tell him this. He did used to cycle to work actually until he got older and lazier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I know, I'll be the first to tell him this. He did used to cycle to work actually until he got older and lazier.

Age is no excuse

https://mobile.twitter.com/DeirdreAPower

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

That’s class!! And those gears......no granny ring there!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Finglas to Killester would be a game changer. It would be interesting to see how they manage Whitehall and Donnycarney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

breezy1985 wrote: »

I saw 3 70+ year old lads cycling together in the park yesterday and all taking the p!ss out of each other in a very gentle but cutting way. Gave me a bit of hope

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭buffalo

buffalo wrote: »
    I'd say Christy Burke or maybe Nial Ring, but it's probably Mannix Flynn.

I was catching up on my DI news, and indeed it's Mannix Flynn. This is in relation to Queen Street and Bridgefoot Street:
    Independent Councillor Mannix Flynn said he was concerned that cycle plans were being rolled in in a “salami slice” manner, with “no overall coherence”, and that residents of local areas were being surprised by new infrastructure without warning.

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2021/03/17/council-briefs-on-a-promenade-in-sandymount-and-a-congested-road-in-donnybrook

What struck me is that he's objecting to piecemeal cycle lanes here, but in relation to Strand Road, he objected to the fact that it's part of a network:
    Mr Flynn’s submission states “it is our opinion that the proposed development... actually forms part of a wider network

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/order-halting-works-on-sandymount-cycleway-issued-by-high-court-1.4495901

Just in case anybody thought Mannix might not just object to anything cycling-related with a kneejerk reaction based on whatever comes into his head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I await for news that they have all been blindsided despite the very, very public announcement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Who's North Dublin's Labre34?. That's what I want to know.

People already complaining on the Clontarf facebook group about Fairview, saying all inbound traffic will have to divert to R803/Fairview Strand, towards Philipsburgh Ave. That there will be no inbound lane towards Amiens Street for two years.
    One woman complaining how it's going to affect her husband, who needs to drive all over Dublin for work. Another guy saying it's going to be a nightmare trying to get to the Funeral Home for a funeral.

They are saying everyone needs to get this stopped by emailing their TDs now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had my sister share that video with me and some friends. Its pure nonsense and it appears to be swallowed hook, line and sinker by the masses. One friend who cycles posted how that it was mad given that there's already a cycle lane in the park.
    #facepalm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146039519351628/permalink/773288003293440/

That's actually a different video. There seems to be a bunch of them at it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

One of the complaints that Mannix Flynn had was that there was little to no detail in the Queen Street to Bridgefoot Street proposal. The reason the engineers presented it to councillors at this early stage was to avoid being accused of telling them too late.

If you announce it early, it's bad because there are no details in the proposals, this will cause untold stress to locals for a long time, it's unprofessional etc.

If you announce it when you have more details, it's bad because they weren't consulted, there was no warning, fait accompli etc.

Yes resident groups seem to be building up opposition against the Fairview bike lanes. I can't see it happening tbh, it'll be scrapped and they'll need to come up with a new plan, a new lane through the park or something.

I think I’ll make my own video on why we need a new bike lane through Fairview.
    I’ll wait until the weekend when all the motorists have parked up on the footpath and cycle path.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Make sure to wear loads of high-viz so that the viewers will be able to see you!

Effects wrote: »
    I think I’ll make my own video on why we need a new bike lane through Fairview.
    I’ll wait until the weekend when all the motorists have parked up on the footpath and cycle path.

Outbound through Fairview earlier and the painted cycle lane before Edges Corner had a van parked in it because the other parking spaces were taken. Didn't even have the hazards on :)

The junction at Malahide Road is an absolute disaster. The BusConnects proposal is to allow cyclists only to cut up through Marino and pop out to the Malahide Road at Griffith Avenue, but at present there is no bollard there to stop vehicles using Haverty Road at Marino post office so plenty of cars use that as a rat run.

Cycling through the park inbound isn't great since they made the path mixed use for bikes, pedestrians and whoever else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

I always think that the level of ‘heat’ around cycling tracks in Fairview is very strange.

All of the land the east of Fairview Strand has been reclaimed from the sea. It is a long time since it was a strand. Not only that, it is six lanes of road space for traffic. There is also a major piece of infrastructure to the east of the park - ie the railway line. There is more infrastructure further east on Alfie Byrne Road. And to cap it all, underneath the park is one of Ireland’s largest infrastructures in the Port Tunnel.

And yet, here we are in 2021 arguing and debating endlessly about how to build a safe cycling route through Fairview. With the engineering solutions that have already been brought to bear in this space over centuries, surely it is not beyond creative minds to develop creative solutions.

And one point on the shared cycle track in the park - what is the point when the gates are closed at commuting times and it is unlit at night?

Advertisement