Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saloon shaped EV's

• 23-03-2021 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭

Have any of the main manufacturers release saloon EV cars in Ireland? Trying to find an equivalent for a Skoda Octavia, Volkswagen Passat, Ford Mondeo style that's an EV. Everything I've found in that size from those manufacturers (plus Kia, Hyundai etc) seem to be SUV shaped or hatchback shaped. Budget probably doesn't stretch to Tesla/Audi/Merc.

Have they gone out of fashion, or is there some reason that shape isn't as popular in the EV world?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe the i4 fits?

YMmD3PH.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Have any of the main manufacturers release saloon EV cars in Ireland? Trying to find an equivalent for a Skoda Octavia, Volkswagen Passat, Ford Mondeo style that's an EV. Everything I've found in that size from those manufacturers (plus Kia, Hyundai etc) seem to be SUV shaped or hatchback shaped. Budget probably doesn't stretch to Tesla/Audi/Merc.

Have they gone out of fashion, or is there some reason that shape isn't as popular in the EV world?

Model 3?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

VW are due to bring out a Passat size EV but I think it's next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_I.D._Vizzion

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd class the Ioniq as a saloon shaped car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Saloons are are dying breed. Mondeo is dead and it's a shrinking market bar popular models like octavia.

Crossover and suv style will be the new norm. Check out the id4. It's octavia sized but bigger inside and can tow and has a roof rack. Ioniq 5 is bigger still in some ways but looks smaller. I find it hard to guage. You need to watch reviews as the pics are misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Definitely only exist now in higher budget ranges, other than that it's just hatchbacks and crossovers.

Your best bet at the moment is to buy a PHEV saloon and just let the engine seize up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭innrain

I'm thinking Polestar 2 but that's not in Ireland although is more than a year in UK no SH spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Shedite27 wrote: »

They have gone out of fashion, unfortunately. The Tesla Model 3 is a saloon. You said your budget probably won't stretch to Tesla/Audi/Merc, but the Tesla Model 3 is significantly cheaper than any EV offerings from Audi / Merc, starting at about €46k

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd class the Ioniq as a saloon shaped car.

This is pretty much your only option for a reasonably priced EV saloon shape.
    A cracker of a car too

I wouldn't really call the Ioniq a saloon shaped car. Maybe because it's a hatchback :p

Cracker of a car it is though. Had one for 3 years myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

innrain wrote: »
    I'm thinking Polestar 2 but that's not in Ireland although is more than a year in UK no SH spotted.

There’s two polestars for sale on Carzone, from an independent dealer. I don’t know how that works with warranty work and servicing.

bod71 wrote: »
    There’s two polestars for sale on Carzone, from an independent dealer. I don’t know how that works with warranty work and servicing.

The dealer is aptly called "DC motor co" :p

No prices on the cars though, hate that.

Polestar is a hatchback too though. Not a saloon. It has 5 doors like the Ioniq. The only real saloon mentioned in this thread so far is the Tesla Model 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

unkel wrote: »

POA = PFO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭innrain

unkel wrote: »

Polestar is a hatchback too though. Not a saloon. It has 5 doors like the Ioniq. The only real saloon mentioned in this thread so far is the Tesla Model 3
    To me they look kinda 4 doors.

https://images.hgmsites.net/hug/tesla-model-3-vs-polestar-2_100693302_h.jpg

Is it not what they call fastback sedan?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

It was exactly this question about 'saloon shape' that led me to choosing a Model 3

Advertisement