Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car import from Europe to Ireland

• 14-03-2021 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    Can anyone tell me if you have to pay vat on a second hand classic car import into ireland from say Spain/France?

I can see that minimal vrt will be due but curious to know if the car is exempt from vat and custom duties

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Calif wrote: »
    Hi
    Can anyone tell me if you have to pay vat on a second hand classic car import into ireland from say Spain/France?

I can see that minimal vrt will be due but curious to know if the car is exempt from vat and custom duties

Thanks

no, nothing has changed for EU registered vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

zero import duties and zero VAT for anything coming from another EU country

Just the €200 fixed fee VRT for any cars over 30 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Good site for European cars
    https://www.autoscout24.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

Hi would i be caught for duty importing a breaker from uk only using it for parts not putting it back on the road.

homingbird wrote: »
    Hi would i be caught for duty importing a breaker from uk only using it for parts not putting it back on the road.

In theory yes, in practice , no. (imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

So the transport company I get won't get caught for charge's & Pas on to me before I go through with purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Calif wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

Depending on how old the 'classic' is, if it has less than 6k KM on the clock then you'd be liable for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

homingbird wrote: »
    So the transport company I get won't get caught for charge's & Pas on to me before I go through with purchase.

It's possible. They could well ask the driver or transport company where the vehicle is destined for and go after them or you. If the car looks to be salvageable or restoreable then you have a higher chance of getting caught.

This is the theory, I've no idea how stringent they are in the ports with BREXIT rules ramping up and with COVID.

If caught you'll be due for VAT, not VRT (unless you want to register it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Isambard wrote: »
    In theory yes, in practice , no. (imo)

Surely the transport company will have to make a custom declaration when they get off the boat in Northern Ireland?

If it's a parts car and you buy it at scrap price, get an invoice and do a declaration coming into the Republic and pay the VAT if they chase you for it. If they come looking for the VAT, it will only be a minimal amount on a scrap car. I can't see them bothering unless you were registering it, but no one really knows (imo)

• Advertisement
Advertisement