Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREE pack of various seeds for Grow It Yourself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭masterboy123

What's Next?

Here's what you need to do before you receive your seeds:

Choose 9 other people to GROW It Forward with.
    Take our research survey if you haven't already done so.

I have completed the survey. But how do we go around 9 other people?
    vicwatson wrote: »
    From here

https://giy.ie/campaigns/grow-it-forward/

Or from your local library

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭fdevine

What's Next?

Choose 9 other people to GROW It Forward with.
    Take our research survey if you haven't already done so.

I have completed the survey. But how do we go around 9 other people?

Friends, family and/or neighbours I'd imagine...... Don't think the free seeds is contingent on you signing up nine others & if it is they can GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Don't see the online registration form

For those confused, you don't have to let 9 people know to receive the product, they just ask that after you get the seeds, you share it online, effectively (to encourage other people to try it).

There's a form at the bottom of the main page that you fill in to register.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I also couldn't find it. Wonder did they take it down?

• Advertisement

Still there for me (Firefox). Below the 3 picture "Image Gallery"

https://i.postimg.cc/3KY2GvFp/GIYPAGE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Says in Confirmation email

Choose 9 other people to GROW It Forward with
    Take our research survey if you haven't already done so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Doop

scottigael wrote: »
    Says in Confirmation email

Take our research survey if you haven't already done so

I took the survey, the 9 ppl isnt a prerequisite to getting the seeds as they dont ask anywhere who the 9 people are or if you have done it, I guess they are just trying to encourage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

It says at top of confirmation email:

"Your seed pack will be sent out in the next couple of weeks depending on how quickly other people sign up. We will send you an email when it is on its way to you!"

"By signing up for a pack you will also receive an exclusive growing plan that will be emailed to you every two weeks once your seed pack is sent out. The plan will include:

How To Guides, Veg Profiles, Challenges, DIY Jobs & Activities & Much More"

Then the bit:

"Here's what you need to do before you receive your seeds:

Take our research survey if you haven't already done so"

I would take that as "here's what you can do while you're waiting".

Badly phrased, but the confirmation of the seeds being sent out is at the top of the email, so I'm going on that.

Fwiw the survey takes about 3 minutes and doesn't ask anything too taxing, basically about food waste, dietary choices you might have, and how is your mental health/sense of connection to society.

The survey is being done in conjunction with University College Cork.

From the survey page:

"This research will be looking into the social impact that the Grow It Forward campaign has on its participants, examining how participating in the Grow It Forward campaign impacts pro-environmental behaviours and attitudes in those who take part"

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Still there for me (Firefox). Below the 3 picture "Image Gallery"

https://i.postimg.cc/3KY2GvFp/GIYPAGE.jpg

Thanks, I was using the Brave browser, and that whole section wasn't displaying. Was fine in FF.

• Advertisement

I got same email. So we won't get free seeds until we take part in research + invite 9 people.
    And I am not sure who do I invite those 9 people using my account.
    lucalux wrote: »
    It says at top of confirmation email:

"Your seed pack will be sent out in the next couple of weeks depending on how quickly other people sign up. We will send you an email when it is on its way to you!"

"By signing up for a pack you will also receive an exclusive growing plan that will be emailed to you every two weeks once your seed pack is sent out. The plan will include:

How To Guides, Veg Profiles, Challenges, DIY Jobs & Activities & Much More"

Then the bit:

"Here's what you need to do before you receive your seeds:

Take our research survey if you haven't already done so"

I would take that as "here's what you can do while you're waiting".

Badly phrased, but the confirmation of the seeds being sent out is at the top of the email, so I'm going on that.

Fwiw the survey takes about 3 minutes and doesn't ask anything too taxing, basically about food waste, dietary choices you might have, and how is your mental health/sense of connection to society.

The survey is being done in conjunction with University College Cork.

From the survey page:

"This research will be looking into the social impact that the Grow It Forward campaign has on its participants, examining how participating in the Grow It Forward campaign impacts pro-environmental behaviours and attitudes in those who take part"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This wasn’t the way it was put by Mick Kelly on radio yesterday and this is from their website

“ In partnership with Healthy Ireland and Libraries Ireland through the Government of Ireland’s Keep Well initiative, we are giving away 50,000 free seed packs and asking participants to use them to share the experience with 10 people.”

“ After you receive your free pack we ask that you share the experience with nine other people to help us reach our goal of 500,000 people in total. How you choose to share this growing experience is up to you – you can put seeds in the post, leave seedlings outside your house, drop fresh produce off to your neighbours or whatever you can think of. We will be sharing lots of Grow It Forward ideas and stories to give you some inspiration throughout the campaign.”

No mention of surveys or the like

You can get them at your local library too

https://www.librariesireland.ie/news/grow-it-forward-with-free-seeds-from-your-local-library

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

To get them from the library just email your branch and they will post them to you as and when they become available. Each branch has 40-50 packs to give out (there are 300 branches so that's 12,000).

Libraries will be doing videos and events too to support people.

So we won't get free seeds until we take part in research + invite 9 people.
    And I am not sure who do I invite those 9 people using my account.

No. You receive the seeds. Regardless of doing the survey, and sharing it with nine people isn't required to get the seeds.

To clear it up I emailed GIY.
    You will get your seeds if you have registered and received that email. Here's the reply:

"Thank you very much for your message and for your feedback. That is a great point. Yes by registering you will automatically get your seeds it is not a requirement to choose your 9 people in advance or to fill out the survey. The word ‘need’ can be confusing so thank you for flagging this. I have changed this to ‘recommend’ to be more clear."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Application not visable on any browser for me (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Brave, SeaMonkey, didnt bother with IE after that as nothing works there anyhow) must be my network PiHole blocking it. Connected on the work vpn and saw it, might help someone.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

lucalux wrote: »
    No. You receive the seeds. Regardless of doing the survey, and sharing it with nine people isn't required to get the seeds.

To clear it up I emailed GIY.
    You will get your seeds if you have registered and received that email. Here's the reply:

"Thank you very much for your message and for your feedback. That is a great point. Yes by registering you will automatically get your seeds it is not a requirement to choose your 9 people in advance or to fill out the survey. The word ‘need’ can be confusing so thank you for flagging this. I have changed this to ‘recommend’ to be more clear."

This is more like what he said on radio yesterday alright

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭112143

Could someone copy and paste the link here?
    I'm having no luck.

112143 wrote: »
    I'm having no luck.

Link is in vicwatson's OP, but here it is again:

https://giy.ie/campaigns/grow-it-forward/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

112143 wrote: »
    I'm having no luck.

Its a form that being blocked by an ad blocker or dns blocker if you dont see it, if you have a vpn try that, try turning off your ad blocker or alternatively try another dns server IP like the google ones for example(8.8.8.8 or 4.4.4.4)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Doop

Seeds and info leaflet arrived in the post today, nice little pack... will have to get planting now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭adam240610

Received beetroot, carrot, tomato, oriental greens, and pea seeds this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got mine today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Got mine today too, Next stop... Woodies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭dubmick

online registrations closed now

I got the pack today.

I have never done planting before.

Could someone guide me please?

I got the pack today.

I have never done planting before.

Could someone guide me please?

Head over to gardening in DIY loads of good people on there to help you out

Info is normally on packet, or YouTube is a great source or indeed the GIY website

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The various libraries will be doing events and such online to help people.* They will be doing videos of them growing, but also getting some people who know what they're talking about. Just keep an eye on whatever your local authority is. They will hopefully share those done by other authorities too.

The pack has a very simple guide to get you going to, and the eat, grow, cook book and the kids book they did are not both available on Borrowbox for free and can have multiple users which is rare enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

vicwatson wrote: »
    Head over to gardening in DIY loads of good people on there to help you out

Info is normally on packet, or YouTube is a great source or indeed the GIY website

https://youtu.be/2xjaLxHLE0I

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lidl were giving out free seeds last year or the year before, wonder if it will happen again. Not sure what was meant to happen but mine had boxes of them lying there and you took what you want. I think it was meant to be handed out after a certain spend but they just can't be arsed.

I think the same used to happen with toys, I saw one cashier hand a kid loads of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My half pack of Oriental Greens (Mix) is coming along nicely in a pot on the windowsill..... but I haven't a clue what is what!

I never even heard of most of what they say is included......

Some pea shoots growing nicely as well, I'll need to put them out and stake them soon before they keel over. I never grew peas before, so going to stick with them and see can I get some actual pods from them.

I stuck some carrot seeds in the ground outside, no sign of any progress yet.

Tomatoes and beetroot - yuk :( If anyone wants an extra pack of either, PM me your address!

Advertisement