Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlestar Galactica Sequel [Sam Esmail]

• 17-09-2019 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭

Battlestar Galactica

Reboot From Sam Esmail Headed For NBCU’s Peacock Streaming Service
    The new NBCUniversal streaming service that the company said Tuesday would be called Peacock will launch in April 2020 with original content that includes series reboots from the NBCU library among its fare. That list includes the return of a sci-fi classic: a new Battlestar Galactica, billed as an original series from Mr. Robot and Homecoming executive producer Sam Esmail.

Not much is known about the premise, but we hear Esmail is a huge fan of BG and told NBCU brass it was high on a list of titles he wanted to tackle under the mega new four-year overall deal he closed at NBCU’s Universal Content Productions earlier this year.

NBCU’s Universal produced the original Glen A. Larson-created Battlestar Galactica series for ABC, and NBC Universal TV produced the successful Ronald D. Moore-commanded revamp that ran from 2004-2009 on the then-Sci-Fi Channel. We hear Esmail had been in touch with Moore, who blessed the idea of him taking on the franchise, because of Esmail’s passion for Moore’s version of the show.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/battlestar-galactica-reboot-drama-series-sam-esmail-nbc-streaming-service-peacock-1202736127/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dunno about BG - gonna have to be really good since its gonna be constantly compared to the recent series. Seems a bit made to remake the series again so soon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

fritzelly wrote: »
    Dunno about BG - gonna have to be really good since its gonna be constantly compared to the recent series. Seems a bit made to remake the series again so soon

Maybe they are remaking the original

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

In a surprising twist, the 1978 version is actually a reboot and the one next year is the original!

Another streaming service? Is there any station that doesn't have one planned now?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's not a reboot of BSG - it's a series set in the same universe as Ronald D. Moore's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: Moving this to its own thread, as I think the show is big, beloved enough, and the news not-entirely-initially-horrible to make it worth discussion on its own.

That's a HUGE relief that this isn't another reboot, but a continuation from within the universe. The next question then becomes ... when is this set? To be after the events of the Ron Moore show would kinda nuke the continuity and the entire hearbeat of that show, whereas setting it before leaves it open to the narrative vulnerabilities of the 'prequel' concept - one that the makers of 'Caprica' would know.

Excited too by the presence of Esmail; can take his style in small doses, but he's an obviously creative, talented man. Only getting around to 'Homecoming' now, where he wrote and directed every episode, and it's an excellent little slice of drama.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

pixelburp wrote: »
    mod: Moving this to its own thread, as I think the show is big, beloved enough, and the news not-entirely-initially-horrible to make it worth discussion on its own.

That's a HUGE relief that this isn't another reboot, but a continuation from within the universe. The next question then becomes ... when is this set? To be after the events of the Ron Moore show would kinda nuke the continuity and the entire hearbeat of that show, whereas setting it before leaves it open to the narrative vulnerabilities of the 'prequel' concept - one that the makers of 'Caprica' would know.

Excited too by the presence of Esmail; can take his style in small doses, but he's an obviously creative, talented man. Only getting around to 'Homecoming' now, where he wrote and directed every episode, and it's an excellent little slice of drama.
    If they are smart about it they can play on the parallel story part (i.e. another lost fleet out in the universe not getting the memo) or they can go bold and go for the whole "How were the whole place founded / gods created" approach which would leave them the excuse of "Well time passed and warped what happened" kind of approach to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ixoy wrote: »
    It's not a reboot of BSG - it's a series set in the same universe as Ronald D. Moore's version.
    If they can get a reasonable storyline to go with it it may not be horrible. Caprica was a mess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nody wrote: »
    If they are smart about it they can play on the parallel story part (i.e. another lost fleet out in the universe not getting the memo) or they can go bold and go for the whole "How were the whole place founded / gods created" approach which would leave them the excuse of "Well time passed and warped what happened" kind of approach to it all.

I wonder could they do a sequel, but maybe set around those allied Cylons from the final battle, who headed off to pursue their own destiny? Perhaps a new set of 'human' Cylons evolved from those ones, themselves becoming heretical & going on the run? Would tie in with the franchise's idea of a neverending cycle...

A parallel story like you said, could work, but it'd invite comparison too much if it also involved a fleet; maybe instead of a refugee fleet, it could be a hitherto unknown colonisation fleet, out in deep space when the Cylons attacked?

Oh and just to be a total troll, I LIKED Season 4 of BSG. A little hurried in places & did that classic thing of final seasons in blowing up everything, or killing the cast off, but the ending never bothered me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So is it an actual sequel in the terms of a continuation and follow up story or will it run parallel to the events of the remake.

• Advertisement

Michael Lesslie To Write & Exec Produce Peacock Reboot Of Sci-Fi Franchise
    Peacock’s reboot of Battlestar Galactica has found its world builder. Michael Lesslie, who was the lead writer and showrunner of AMC’s spy drama The Little Drummer Girl and penned scripts for Macbeth and Assassin’s Creed, will create, write and executive produce the series.

The new Battlestar Galactica comes from Mr Robot and Homecoming exec producer Sam Esmail, who struck a big overall deal with NBCU’s Universal Content Productions last year. It is produced by Esmail Corp and UCP, with Esmail and Chad Hamilton also exec producing.

NBCUni’s Universal produced the original Glen A. Larson-created Battlestar Galactica series for ABC. UCP, then known as Universal Cable Productions, produced the successful Ronald D. Moore revamp that ran from 2004-2009 on the then-Sci-Fi Channel.

The original Battlestar Galactica centered on the last group of humans on the verge of extinction after a series of wars with a robot race, The Cylons, destroyed the Twelve Colonies. All the humans are left in one remaining battleship group, anchored by the Galactica, as they search for their last option for survival: a fabled Thirteenth Colony known as Earth.

The series ran on ABC for just one season in 1978-1979 starring Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict and Lorne Greene as Commander Adama, followed by a short-lived sequel that lasted 10 episodes in 1980. But it did spawn several book and comics series, a board game and a video game as it gained cult status, if not commercial success.

Moore resuscitated the franchise with a three-hour Sci Fi Channel miniseries in 2003 produced by UCP and starring Edward James Olmos in Greene’s commander role. Mary McConnell, Katee Sackoff and Grace Park also starred, and the success led to a series order. That Battlestar Galactica, a critical hit, ran four seasons. A prequel spinoff to Moore’s series, Caprica, was canceled with five episodes remaining in its sole season. Several TV movies followed. Lesslie will work up a reimagined world.

Lesslie’s other credits include writing a contemporary screenplay of Hamlet for Riz Ahmed to star in, for Netflix. He also has a number of projects for Storyteller Productions, which he set up with PJ van Sandwijk. Storyteller’s first feature documentary film, the iconic director Errol Morris’ take on Steve Bannon and titled American Dharma, premiered in 2018, and its drama and documentary includes projects with the likes of Ron Howard, Doug Liman, William Nicholson, Guy Ritchie, Morris, Steven Knight, Alex Gibney and Polly Stenham.

Lesslie said, “I am beyond excited to be taking on this iconic and inspirational show. As a lifelong devotee, I know that the possibilities of Battlestar Galactica’s world are infinite and that each iteration has raised the bar for epic and intelligent sci-fi storytelling. The teams at Esmail Corp, UCP and Peacock are second to none, and I already know that we are going to honour Glen A Larson and Ronald D Moore’s landmark series and break new boundaries with our own vision. It’s a dream come true – one I just can’t wait to share with fans, new and old alike. So say we all.”

https://deadline.com/2020/05/battlestar-galactica-michael-lesslie-showrunner-peacock-reboot-1202923668/

Esmails name on this feels like a big red herring, if Lesslie is in fact the functional developer of this. Not a great CV either, especially Assassin's Creed; though even the best writers have hacky work in their CV. Even St Whedon himself wrote Alien Resurrection :pac:

Not liking the smell of this all a sudden though. Like I said Esmail is not actually a force in production, while the press release still sounds waffly as to how this can be part of the existing 2000s reboot. If at all. Suggests they're going to try and please everybody rather than just commit to one single vision.

As it happens were re-watching the reboot. Still holds up, still a fantastic show. Even the FX hold up, the CGI cylons mixed with live action not as bad as I'd feared.

Esmail follow ups to Mr Robot have been very Meh!

Homecoming and Briarpatch are very average shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

As it happens were re-watching the reboot. Still holds up, still a fantastic show. Even the FX hold up, the CGI cylons mixed with live action not as bad as I'd feared.

Its a great show especially the first 2 and a half series ,it got a bit convoluted then with the Final Five nonsense .

Gauis Baltar was some character ,a bit like Esmails other creation Elliott Andersen in a way with his inner demons .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Gauis Baltar was some character ,a bit like Esmails other creation Elliott Andersen in a way with his inner demons .

They way they just plopped Baltar in a cargo hold running his own faith...

First I have heard of this Mr. Robot. Interesing, I'll give a few episodes a watch.

I just saw that BBC are airing the Ronald D Moore series in its entirety from tomorrow.
    Every episode of the critically acclaimed show will be available to watch on iPlayer from 5 September, when the series will begin being broadcast on BBC Two at 9.45pm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Seems to be starting with the miniseries from 2003 tomorrow night - three hours of Saturday evening prime time given over to it, a lot for the pilot of a seventeen year old series even if it is a Saturday and BBC Two.

Another thing that holds up, and had forgotten just how tasty it was, was the soundtrack. Don't think Bear McCreary ever topped that work. Still little else that sounds like it.

Another thing that holds up, and had forgotten just how tasty it was, was the soundtrack. Don't think Bear McCreary ever topped that work. Still little else that sounds like it.

Yes, McCreary did an absolutely fantastic job on the soundtrack, it was a pivotal factor in the success of the show.
    Passacaglia, The Shape of Things, Wander My Friends, Prelude to War, An Easterly View, Storming New Caprica, Prelude to War, Roslin and Adama, are some of my favourites but there are so many other fantastic pieces.
    Game of Thrones and BSG are probably the 2 best TV soundtracks of the last 20 years .

His work on Outlander is top class as well it adds so much to that show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

Smiles35 wrote: »
    First I have heard of this Mr. Robot.

:eek:

Michael Lesslie is no longer attached as creator/writer/producer he has moved on to another project Hulu.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Original Series of Battlestar Galactica starts airing on the Horror Channel on Wednesday at 8pm. Oh what could have been if it had been kept on instead of dropped after its first season. The one thing I hated about the re imagined series was the weapons and the medical technolagy or lack off. Wait you telling me these people can travel across the stars faster than the speed of light and yet have no laser weapons. Yes the Original series even had laser weapons as well as missiles. As for the medical technolagy I would say we have more advanced medical tech now than Galactica had then on either series. The-story telling was brilliant do. Can not wait to see what the next series will be like. I think a prequel show with the start of the Cylon war would be great

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Amazingly, this reboot/sequel/whatever-the-F show is still on Sam Esmail's desk.

Well, I can’t speak to the movie version, but for the TV series, we are working on it. And in fact, I just read a great outline and it’s in great shape. Because the strike is over now – at least the WGA strike is over – we’re back into developing it.

I'm both horrified and yet curious - and at least Esmail is a talent, and this isn't headed by some nobody-no-talent.

Advertisement