Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Moderator For a .22

• 20-03-2021 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Edit by Cookimonster for continuity-

Following is mcbain87's post in response to justbehindit wanted ad
    Looking for a .22 Wildcat Whisper, thought I would check here to see if I could get one used maybe before going ahead and buying new.

Thanks, Kevin.

Hi Kevin, I'm sure you've probably done your research and have your reasons for wanting the Wildcat whisper but having had one and sold it I went back to a cheaper mod because the performance is almost the same but the cost is crazy.
    The wildcats are brilliantly engineered but for the amount of times you could change a cheaper model it is hard to justify one in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 justbehindit

mcbain087 wrote: »
    Hi Kevin, I'm sure you've probably done your research and have your reasons for wanting the Wildcat whisper but having had one and sold it I went back to a cheaper mod because the performance is almost the same but the cost is crazy.
    The wildcats are brilliantly engineered but for the amount of times you could change a cheaper model it is hard to justify one in my opinion.

Thanks for that advice, definitely giving me second thoughts. Any cheaper mods that you would recommend in particular? Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mcbain087

Thanks for that advice, definitely giving me second thoughts. Any cheaper mods that you would recommend in particular? Thanks again.

I have the sak and currently have the atec wave on. Both perform much the same and are equally as effective as the Wildcat. Sak can be dismantled, Atec cannot but both can be cleaned if necessary. Personally I wouldn't pay any more for .22 mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I've a Parker- Hale...quiet & does the job perfectly.

It can also be taken apart for cleaning.

Ev83-ivdj0Yz5CpD1zhc3uMAmQzLXPbkabJxAKt3nolCHRkXq7kx9vw-W6L7uEAqRRvyVILLBnymbASbaGgXPo0YsrIzmtgDUeceXzYifSWKFv0HCsEmzSusKoPnWmb7i3dzI-2pT4ubtxakcixCsw9jhduqNtxFK5TVThNC7X9xtagatUY7oSMuGw9c_o5Yv_EumYaYxxilnKUlfTF_dOR7BcE6mFQZedhIRnM1A1L1jHembdAbCOeITFK_D9jJ-_vHSTwTbQ2Ijbevj28O_fmachwK1vh8Ei778GjaXiB6DwfK5FuT7XwB8tuv_xqvYaVpZf4OohjU5xzWfA2pOfGZyPRAbN43efNPNpmV-VMqrDSzZPrwp0pBmAzjlGbhcI06HZ52Fhkm6dqrC7mDD1mBbPEqFzIoYDFE35Re4Drd4hWx2ATEBilnsEWeOeayH5QfAgcnpIs2Cx9rygEvTOX0qy1gCKkM71qkYmonaKqTJULZaMEulRYgQLxiULHCndUEG07GULhyxir9c1lxm0yyylZpOll-qtf280dZ3lSqX20y5T-7mrfpxg7c5MeJmjqdthVByTB0yNE81EfNiXrOKLu50wQvZAJ-p6ScnUkPrVv9LPhMA14TjyoHDSf-SbpaF3orbDb0wf3ATz5tbYWpm-lnEBlxy_MeDkRkhcb4tyCJQGbFE-Au6gflA_l8P73ltY88zY0ZyTGL-N3fdDFZow=w834-h625-no?authuser=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I've a Parker- Hale...quiet & does the job perfectly.

IMO the Parker Hale looks great on a bull barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

I have a carbon fibre/plastic job. Less than 50e? Incredibly lightweight. Nothing to compare it to, in terms of moderation. Think it s wildhunter, made in Ireland???? Very happy with it so far. The absence of weight puts a smile on my face every time I pick it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mcbain087

Good comparison made last year on top 5 mods

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/test-five-22-sound-moderators-90613

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

The SAK is as good as any of them.. Keeps the sounds of the subs down

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I have an atec wave. Great light moderator and as quiet as I need. Costs around €60 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

All my .22 LR moderators are over 35 years old. The Parker Hale probably older again. They all do a great job and are of various design and materials. For what it's worth I don't belive you need to spend big money on a .22 mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

ATEC Wave does the job fine on a .22LR.

e65 from outdoor sports mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I have the Atec Wave and think its perfect for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Another vote for the Atec wave

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

One vote against the ATEC Wave.

On the first time I had it out I heard some rattling from inside the suppressor after maybe 20 shots, not rapid(5 round mag bolt action), so I removed it from my rifle and brought it inside. A small amount of dust came out, along with a pair of pieces of baffle.

Had a bit of a pain returning it to the well known online retailer in Meath of such things. They claimed I had disassembled it, when I hadn't.

Returned it and they claimed they were going to test it to ensure it hadn't been opened.
    Never heard anything else from them and a replacement arrived the next week.

No replies to my queries about their testing of the returned one either. :rolleyes:

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

Whatever mod you choose id advise getting one that can be stripped easily for cleaning.
    I have a A-tec cmm 4 which can be taken apart and they can get very dirty with subsonic ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Having owned a wildcat whisper I have to agree with mcbain, performance is indistinguishable with lower priced options.

The wildcat panther though is a far superior moderator and also lower priced than the whisper. It performs a lot better than the whisper, and the cheap wildhunter mod I also have.

One thing I have noticed lately is a lot of CCI and Winchester subs are not staying sub. More like they are going supersonic and making quite the crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Hi everyone,

I’m also looking for a new .22 mod. Currently using a neilson sonic and find it great but I have a new rifle on the way with a different barrel thread.

I see lots of recommendations for the atec wave but as far as I’m aware it can’t be disassembled easily and cleaning the mod is something I want to do frequently.

I have a hausken on the centrefire and find it good, anyone use their rimfire ones?

Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I went and bought a wildcat panther after getting some good info from lefthooker on here.
    Its a great mod. Its very quiet and the build quality is excellent.
    It is also very easy to strip and clean which is very important to me.
    I highly recommend one.

Advertisement