Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O’haras nitro stout cans

• 20-03-2021 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭

Anyone else tried this? I think it’s lovely, better mouthfeel than Guinness, lower bitterness and chocolate sweetness.

It’s €3 per 440ml can though so tough market with Guinness now semi permanently in the bargain basement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Anyone else tried this? I think it’s lovely, better mouthfeel than Guinness, lower bitterness and chocolate sweetness.

It’s €3 per 440ml can though so tough market with Guinness now semi permanently in the bargain basement.

I opened one at Patrick's Day, no head, no surge.

Opened one this evening, absolutely perfect.

Just opened another, and it's a dud too.

I know it's just bad luck, but at 3 quid a pop I won't be bothering again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I had 4 and all 4 were perfect, will be buying again.

Are these available in off licences/supermarkets or just online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

adrian522 wrote: »

Are these available in off licences/supermarkets or just online?

I got them in Mc Hugh’s off license

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Had 3 tonight from the same box. 2 were perfect and 1 was quite flat, not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

A lot of chat re these in the two other threads (Support craft... and What are you drinking...) which some mixed experiences too.

FWIW, I have mine lined up to try alongside the Lean Folainn and the bottled version if I can get it (one more place to try before I give up!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

no head, no surge.
    absolutely perfect.
    it's a dud too.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Amirani wrote: »
    2 were perfect and 1 was quite flat,

I have estabished that 3% of cans are duds.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

440ml cans usually don't bother me, but it really ruins the aesthetics having the nitro head a bit below the top of the glass :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Delicious stuff. Molloy’s in Clonsilla have it if that’s of use to anyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I really don't get why Carlow put "440ml" on the label of those cans. There's more than that in them and it just puts pint-drinkers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭donaghs

I like oharas stout in the bottle and on tap, and nitro beers too. But I found their nitro stout a little blander than expected. I had one after a widget Guinness, and it wasn’t much better on my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GLaDOS wrote: »
    440ml cans usually don't bother me, but it really ruins the aesthetics having the nitro head a bit below the top of the glass :o

If they were clever they would have matched the can size to a pint glass... Guinness have not managed this amazing feat yet either.

500ml is too small, the guinness surger cans are 520ml and still not big enough to get a head you would see in a guinness advert. About 530-535ml is about right.

In 95%+ of these videos showing the ideal way or some clever trick in pouring a guinness they never show it settled, as no dobut it looked like crap when it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »
    If they were clever they would have matched the can size to a pint glass... Guinness have not managed this amazing feat yet either.

500ml is too small, the guinness surger cans are 520ml and still not big enough to get a head you would see in a guinness advert. About 530-535ml is about right.

In 95%+ of these videos showing the ideal way or some clever trick in pouring a guinness they never show it settled, as no dobut it looked like crap when it did.

I never understood why Guinness haven't brought out a suitably sized "pint glass" for the 500ml cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭listermint

donaghs wrote: »
    I like oharas stout in the bottle and on tap, and nitro beers too. But I found their nitro stout a little blander than expected. I had one after a widget Guinness, and it wasn’t much better on my opinion.

Whisky I appreciate everyone's taste buds are different. That's an absolute outrageous claim to make that o haras nitro is remotely similar to Guinness..

Are you chilling your stouts into an inch of their lives....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I never understood why Guinness haven't brought out a suitably sized "pint glass" for the 500ml cans.

The thing is the 500ml cans are already an abnormal size, they are taller due to housing the widget. So they do not really have the argument of standard sizing for palllets & machinery. So it would have made sense to suit a pint, unless they wanted to do a line in selling special glasses, or giving them free with a purchase. I have some glasses that do suit a 500ml pretty well.

The 470ml cans were meant to be standard height of 500ml ones. 470ml cans probably fit well in 500ml glasses, lidl do a 500ml tulip style glass.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/lodraet-beer-glass-clear-glass-50209337/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Guinness did 500ml glasses in packs before Christmas did they not? So perfect for the fixed widget 470mls; but not the normal 500s - which they only ever package with standard pint glasses. It is more than a bit odd, they would buy them in very significant volume and the design is custom anyway so cost wouldn't be a killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Left Hand Brewing Nitro Stout....the king of nitro's to my mind, perfect surge every time....and perfect taste

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Smurts

Think O’Hara’s have knocked it out of the park with the Nitro, best stout from a can I have tasted, it’s great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

Smurts wrote: »
    Think O’Hara’s have knocked it out of the park with the Nitro, best stout from a can I have tasted, it’s great stuff!

Can I use my ultrasonic cleaner with this? Like the guinness surger?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Smurts

Dont need to, it has a widget

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Left Hand Brewing Nitro Stout....the king of nitro's to my mind, perfect surge every time....and perfect taste

You tried this one yet?

7814e1d171397242a6eb630bb38b9f39.png

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    You tried this one yet?

7814e1d171397242a6eb630bb38b9f39.png

Noooo, but I would love if my local gets it in
    This one get have on special offer...4 cans for €5.00 and it's actually a great drink for a summer day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

It's really nice, and well balanced. A little sweet, similar to the regular nitro, but not too much. Deceptive at 9%.

Not sure I'd go for the pina colada one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I've had the pina colada one. It was only okay. If it didn't have the nitro element, I likely would not have picked it up to begin with.

The Pina colada one is different, but i enjoyed it...and as it's 4 for a fiver...it's not much of a gamble.... think it's 7.5%
    I do like Left Hand... they make some fantastic beers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

They did because I have one!! It was a limited edition glass with some pack or other a good few years ago.

It is a Guinness branded and shaped glass that holds 500ml rather than 568ml. They are pretty much indiscernible to the naked eye.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    They did because I have one!! It was a limited edition glass with some pack or other a good few years ago.

It is a Guinness branded and shaped glass that holds 500ml rather than 568ml. They are pretty much indiscernible to the naked eye.

I got a gravity glass late last year in Dunnes that's exactly 500ml.
    The can fills to the brim, I've surged a can or two in them and itll overflow but it holds the head better so I use it with the non widget or any 440/470ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I see O Hara's are doing a nitro red now as well (or will be soon).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Decent product on draught anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Massive recommendation for the new Brewmaster Nitro Imperial Stout in cans. It uses the same widget as the O'Hara's ones. It's a really old-school, bitter, roasty stout and the nitro smooths the texture without deadening the flavour.

• Advertisement

Its also 8%, which some people may need to be warned of!

Advertisement