Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭mosstin

The Anchoress released a new album yesterday The Art of Losing and I have to say it's great. Never heard of her before but threw the album on and have been listening non stop since then. It reminds me of U.S. Girls and PJ Harvey in places. Really liking it.

Cheers, sounds promising. Loving the opening instrumental.......

Cassandra Jenkins 'An Overview on Phenomenal Nature'. This is a really lovely record and the song taken from it below is superb.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Chemtrails over the Country Club - Lana Del Rey

The follow up to one of my absolute favorite albums of the last few years.
    I've had the vinyl now for a few days and am really enjoying it.

I don't think the scope is quite as great as NFR and things are a bit more intimate, definitely a more folky slant to the tracks, but it does not disappoint.

I've been really enjoying putting it on in the evenings and relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I don't get this singing voice these days? It sounds like it could be "anyone"....?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Chemtrails over the Country Club is probably my most anticipated album of the year based on how impressed I was with NFR. Good to know I am not alone on this forum.

Really looking forward to sitting down this evening and giving it a listen. It's been quite difficult to not put it on in the background as I work today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

She bores the arse off me.

Been listening to 'Chemtrails' a lot over the last few days. Unmoved, I have to say.

Chemtrails over the Country Club - Lana Del Rey

I don't think the scope is quite as great as NFR and things are a bit more intimate, definitely a more folky slant to the tracks, but it does not disappoint.
    Very much mirrors my first impression. Given how much I enjoyed NFRs grander moments I thought a more low key follow up would disappoint. Not sure that's the case though as I don't think there is any real dip in quality.

• NFR took me a few listens to "get" properly but now I absolutely love it. Hoping this will do the same for me, even if nothing will quite hit the highs of Mariner's Apartment Complex or Cinnamon Girl (which has become my absolute favourite song by her, and one of my favourite songs by anyone in the past ten years).

White Dress is a terrific opener, definitely one of the most interesting vocals she's ever done. Hearing her go into a high-pitched whisper is a bit of a "wtf" at first but it really works quite beautifully. Other standouts on first listen for me were Wild At Heart, Not All Who Wander Are Lost and Yosemite.

I do think it tails off a bit at the end though, the final three tracks seemed to just kinda blend in to each other even with the guest vocals...but like I said, it may well grow on me more. And it looks like there'll be another album coming in June - she never seems to leave it too long between releases anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

mosstin wrote: »
    Cassandra Jenkins 'An Overview on Phenomenal Nature'. This is a really lovely record and the song taken from it below is superb.

Really like this - never heard of her before. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

New album from The Antlers called Green and Gold on Spotify

Gave it a listen there and really enjoyed it, getting good reviews as well

The album from For those I love is on Spotify today. He had a big feature on Other Voices last night which is well worth checking out

steve_r wrote: »
    New album from The Antlers called Green and Gold on Spotify

Gave it a listen there and really enjoyed it, getting good reviews as well

The album from For those I love is on Spotify today. He had a big feature on Other Voices last night which is well worth checking out

Yes, really liking this a lot. Lead singer's been through a rough time since the last one but this is warm and melodious.

Cathal Coughlan's 'Song of Co-Aklan' is out today. Ireland's best songwriter for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The orielles have released a soundtrack to an upcoming film , its a different version of their album Disco Volador which came out last year and its great , been listening all morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭budgemook

Anything I've heard from For Those I Love so far has been excellent, and normally I'm not into that talky style. Big buzz around David, looking forward to listening to the album over the weekend. Have the other voices performance from last night recorded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,637 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

steve_r wrote: »

Watched this on the back of your recommendation knowing nothing of him. Really was excellent!

Not convinced I'd like an entire album of it but I'll certainly give it a try

What you expect from his appearance and what you get are very different :D

Yeah, it's not a genre of music I'd jump to immediately but I think the power and the emotion of the "I have a love" song is very very moving.

Got album of the week by the Guardian, review worth reading for people who might not know the story.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/mar/25/for-those-i-love-for-those-i-love-review

Listening to an album by a guy called Chad Vangaalen called World's Most Stressed Out Gardener a lot over the past week.

It breezed by me a bit at first, but the songs are real growers. What all sounds a bit similar at first reveals itself to have a lot of variety between songs after a few listens. It's a giver if you give it time.
    It doesn't reinvent the wheel but it's a pretty solid release that could pass many people by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

New Mannequin Pussy rules, very 90's if that's your thing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Arghus wrote: »
    Listening to an album by a guy called Chad Vangaalen called World's Most Stressed Out Gardener a lot over the past week.

It breezed by me a bit at first, but the songs are real growers. What all sounds a bit similar at first reveals itself to have a lot of variety between songs after a few listens. It's a giver if you give it time.
    It doesn't reinvent the wheel but it's a pretty solid release that could pass many people by.

Big fan of Chad Vangaalen.

If you like this, I suggest checking out his album "Soft Airplane"

Dry Cleaning - debut album coming out on April 2nd. Really like what I've heard so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Well I know what's on my list to listen to all day......

New GY!BE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

mosstin wrote: »
    Dry Cleaning - debut album coming out on April 2nd. Really like what I've heard so far.

on my 3rd listen , they are the real deal

peteeeed wrote: »

Really loved everything I've heard from them so far. They've also done a great cover of Grimes' 'Oblivion' for a 4AD compilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Thats a good tune but the other songs sound samey not convinced just yet

Dry Cleaning's EPs up to this point did absolutely nothing for me but this album is excellent on first listen.

Not entirely sure why I've had such a dramatic change of heart.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jinx Lennon - Liferafts for Latchicos on band camp

Man is a national treasure.

Just listening to the Dry Cleaning album - that song Strong Feelings sounds really familiar- has it been used in something? Or is the riff just really like a different song?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Arghus wrote: »

He's fantastic.

Mind Hijacker's Curse was one of my favourite tunes of 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvc-uFSxY08&ab_channel=SubPop

Godspeed You! Black Emperor have a new album out, which is good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The orielles have released a soundtrack to an upcoming film , its a different version of their album Disco Volador which came out last year and its great , been listening all morning

Sugar Taste Like Salt from them in 2017 was almost never off my stereo/UE.

Advertisement