Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glas Inspection

• 18-03-2021 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Got a call this morning that I have a Glas inspection today.

I thought they give notice, some fields I have not been in since last November so no idea how fencing is etc.
    Only animals in there over the winter are wild deer.

Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭leoch

I had one and they are not too bad in fairness as long as a bit of wire up at all..... they give u a week or 2 to do bits not done...

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

Did not think a GLAS inspection would be looking at fences... i thought they would be inspecting measures you were required to carry out e.g. bird boxes, sand for bees, wild bird cover etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

k mac wrote: »
    Did not think a GLAS inspection would be looking at fences... i thought they would be inspecting measures you were required to carry out e.g. bird boxes, sand for bees, wild bird cover etc.

Will check the fences if fencing off a watercourse was one of the measures and also if either the coppicing or laying of hedges were included. Will only check fences in these parcels most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Got on ok, native trees did not grow so well so some of these have to be replaced.

Lots of records to be submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Jb1989

feartuath wrote: »
    Got on ok, native trees did not grow so well so some of these have to be replaced.

Advisor will take the book and fill it in. Pass no remarks on that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Strange that they carried out a Glas inspection in the middle of the Covid lock down. I thought they were all on hold until after.

Strange that they carried out a Glas inspection in the middle of the Covid lock down. I thought they were all on hold until after.

Nope. They're essential workers. Dept said if they stopped inspections it would lead to a delay in payments later as they would then have to catch up on same inspections.

Nothing essential about them. Glas is running over 5 years now, inspectors coming out checking for Bird boxes at this stage in the middle of a pandemic is a complete slap in the face to people. From reading the article in the independent it looks like these Dept folk are behaving as if they are above the law. Disgraceful behavior, the law should be applied to them even more so since they are employed by the state.
    Can't see any reason for it delaying payments, covid-19 isn't the farmers fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Nothing essential about them. Glas is running over 5 years now, inspectors coming out checking for Bird boxes at this stage in the middle of a pandemic is a complete slap in the face to people. From reading the article in the independent it looks like these Dept folk are behaving as if they are above the law. Disgraceful behavior, the law should be applied to them even more so since they are employed by the state.
    Can't see any reason for it delaying payments, covid-19 isn't the farmers fault.
    You make a point of saying they're checking bird boxes. There is a lot more to these inspections. A bigger disgrace is that people are flouting the rules and getting paid every year. I personally know several people that haven't obeyed the rules since the scheme started yet get paid . Now they are extending their contracts and will continue to get paid no doubt. It is very easy to maintain social distancing at an inspection .The inspector has the maps and con work on his own.

MIKEKC wrote: »
    You make a point of saying they're checking bird boxes. There is a lot more to these inspections. A bigger disgrace is that people are flouting the rules and getting paid every year. I personally know several people that haven't obeyed the rules since the scheme started yet get paid . Now they are extending their contracts and will continue to get paid no doubt. It is very easy to maintain social distancing at an inspection .The inspector has the maps and con work on his own.

No, we are in the middle of a pandemic. These inspections are not as important as peoples health and safety.
    So what if one of your neighbor's hasn't put up the birdbox, get off your high horse and get over it. If it's anything else it can be inspected using satellite, the tax payer is already paying for it so let them use that for now.
    There's more to the lockdown then just social distancing, if that was all that was needed then why have movements restricted, Schools, Churches, drapery, hairdressers funerals etc have all been stopped.

• Advertisement

No, we are in the middle of a pandemic. These inspections are not as important as peoples health and safety.
    So what if one of your neighbor's hasn't put up the birdbox, get off your high horse and get over it. If it's anything else it can be inspected using satellite, the tax payer is already paying for it so let them use that for now.
    There's more to the lockdown then just social distancing, if that was all that was needed then why have movements restricted, Schools, Churches, drapery, hairdressers funerals etc have all been stopped.

You need to get off your high horse, calm down and read my post.I did not say anything about putting up bird boxes. The breaches I am talking about are far more serious. Protection of commonage are a very important part of the Glas Scheme. A condition of the scheme for people with commonage is to stock the commonage. This did not happen in the majority of cases.

This did not happen in the majority of cases.

Some statement, where's your evidence for making it?

Some statement, where's your evidence for making it?

Why do you say it's some statement?. I live beside and farm the commonage , so know everyone who has it stocked.

Why do you say it's some statement?. I live beside and farm the commonage , so know everyone who has it stocked.

You're claiming the majority of commonage farmers are acting fraudulently. You should either back that up with evidence, or withdraw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

feartuath wrote: »

Not so bad lad.keeps the oul lolly flowing our direction. That's what it's all about for me anyway.

You're claiming the majority of commonage farmers are acting fraudulently. You should either back that up with evidence, or withdraw it.

I did not say anything about the majority of farmers . I only know about the farmers locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

A condition of the scheme for people with commonage is to stock the commonage. This did not happen in the majority of cases.

That is the quote that you were picked up on Mike. You did say the majority of cases did not comply with stocking commonage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭older by the day

My neighbour was inspected last week and he was told that there was no need to meet. The inspecter had the plan and maps. It's a balls to be inspected but you have to play along. Most are fair at the end of the day and they probably have to write down some remarks or jobs to be done. It's handy money besides rearing an animal for 30mths and making 100 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

In fairness a chap inspecting a field of WBC is hardly a major risk compared to visiting a shop or having kids in school - all of which are currently allowed

Birdnuts wrote: »
    In fairness a chap inspecting a field of WBC is hardly a major risk compared to visiting a shop or having kids in school - all of which are currently allowed

Again we are in the middle of a pandemic. Checking WBC or some checking out some complaint made by a jealous neighbor on his high horse about commonage are not essential during a pandemic. Peoples heath and safety are more important.
    The same risk is there, you have someone who is not from an area traveling to other areas doing work that is not necessary, whats worse is the total randomness of the areas visited.
    Btw less than a third of the Children in Ireland are not allowed to go to School with over a year now.

No its just a case of these public sector jobs were for some unknown reason deemed necessary so they stay on full pay plus allowances. That's the crux of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

There is some bitterness there. Especially towards the public sector.

Great that certain jobs can keep being done safely I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Again we are in the middle of a pandemic. Checking WBC or some checking out some complaint made by a jealous neighbor on his high horse about commonage are not essential during a pandemic. Peoples heath and safety are more important.
    The same risk is there, you have someone who is not from an area traveling to other areas doing work that is not necessary, whats worse is the total randomness of the areas visited.
    Btw less than a third of the Children in Ireland are not allowed to go to School with over a year now.

No its just a case of these public sector jobs were for some unknown reason deemed necessary so they stay on full pay plus allowances. That's the crux of it.

I would imagine they would stay on full pay regardless they call out or not, given they are civil servants?
    Allowances may be affected, not sure how much these are though?

Had an inspection for something small last week. He was here and gone in 20 mins probably.
    If I wasn’t inspected I wouldn’t have been able to move forward with my plan, so a quick inspection suited me...

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I would imagine they would stay on full pay regardless they call out or not, given they are civil servants?
    Allowances may be affected, not sure how much these are though?

Had an inspection for something small last week. He was here and gone in 20 mins probably.
    If I wasn’t inspected I wouldn’t have been able to move forward with my plan, so a quick inspection suited me...

It's ok for one to make have Pandemic measures when it suits so. This is a great society we have.
    What about all the people who are out of work/ not allowed to work. There plans don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

It's ok for one to make have Pandemic measures when it suits so. This is a great society we have.
    What about all the people who are out of work/ not allowed to work. There plans don't matter.

No one said the other people don’t matter? A unilateral approach was never possible. You are pushing at an entirely different agenda rather than GLAS inspections.

893bet wrote: »
    No one said the other people don’t matter? A unilateral approach was never possible. You are pushing at an entirely different agenda rather than GLAS inspections.

No, You can't put Glas inspections ahead of peoples health and safety. We are in the middle of a pandemic, you just can't choose what sections of society matter, or use your opinion to determine whats safe when it goes against our high-level covid task force.

Grueller wrote: »
    That is the quote that you were picked up on Mike. You did say the majority of cases did not comply with stocking commonage.

Sorry, should have said in my area. Obviously I wouldn't know outside of my area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Sami23

Had an inspection here last week and just got letter out today requesting documents such as the Glas record books, receipts for WBC, Bee Sand, Slurry Spreading etc. Also some fertiliser and meal receipts.

All of the above is fine as in fairness I followed the plan fairly well.

The only thing requested I'm unsure of that he is looking for is: "Completed and signed Nitrates Records"

Does any know where I can find a form for Nitrates Records or any advice for filling it out ?

I didn't see any requirement for Nitrates Records in any of the schemes T&C's or am I wrong ?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Is that the deceleration on the very last page of the record book that you have to sign twice yearly after you review you nmp. They don't appear in the 2021 or 2022 record book.

https://www.gov.ie/en/form/1a1a9-glas1-2020-record-sheets-pdf-2568kb/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Sami23

I'm not sure if that's it as he appears to be looking for this 'Nitrates Records' separate to the yearly record books that he has also requested.

Just hope I don't have to get the planner involved to complete it as that will be more money :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

would your annual slurry declaration form or the carbon navigator cover it. I know the carbon navigator is associated with bdgp. Did you apply for derrogation at any time?

You can print off the nitrates generated from your herd numbers on the agfood site.

Advertisement