Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

irish customs on sat receivers from uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Are you sure they got charged duty (as opposed to VAT and handling fees)?

Revenue have been known to misapply Taric codes on occasion, and if they do you can look it up for yourself and claim the difference back, but it's a tedious task for the sake of a few euros, you'd be better off finding an EU stockist to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dubrov

I bought a second hand satellite box on eBay and was charged 23% VAT only on the sale plus delivery price.

If WoS can charge you ROI VAT directly instead of UK VAT there should be no additional VAT. I'd contact them directly to see if they can. Otherwise, find an EU seller

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 jimgallagher

athlone573 wrote: »
    Are you sure they got charged duty (as opposed to VAT and handling fees)?

this guy gives fedex image w/ breakdown: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116216114&postcount=92

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 jimgallagher

dubrov wrote: »
    I bought a second hand satellite box on eBay and was charged 23% VAT only on the sale plus delivery price.

If WoS can charge you ROI VAT directly instead of UK VAT there should be no additional VAT. I'd contact them directly to see if they can. Otherwise, find an EU seller

looked at satking.de - price comes out roughly the same, but english lang support and more confidence in the WOS website configurator to ensure i get what i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jordo1993

I want to order something from the UK tomorrow, total cost in €300.50 how kuchen customs would I be hit with? It's under the sports and leisure category

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

You need to check on revenue site and when you get the goods can you post on here how much extra it cost you? For 300 I would get about 80 extra.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Generally duty for most things we'd buy online is only between 0% - 5-6%

Its the vat which is the real bug bare unfortunately..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I have used https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/en/ a number of times and it's been fine configuring receivers. Reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,451 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a good forum for all things Buying Online.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=583

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

was looking into ordering from WOS, order would have been above the 150€ limit.

reading some other posts, ppl got charged customs.

after looking up the regulations, i'm pretty sure the customs should be 0%.

look at '3rd country duty':

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20210222&Area=&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8528719100&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

the sat receivers from WOS would fall under:

might be worth reaching out to Revenue and enquire about a refund. the linked site is EU TARIC database which Revenues site directs you to for queries about customs rates.

The EU/ UK Free Trade Agreement only applies to goods where the Country of Origin is either EU or UK. So if you're buying from a reseller/ distributor who didn't make the goods in the UK, they're supposed to charge the applicable duty. Rules of Origin are a nightmare.Enterprise Ireland Country of Origin Training 23-Feb-2021
    That's a training session that was given this week by Enterprise Ireland/ BDO. If you skip the first 10 or so minutes, the rest is very informative (I wouldn't go so far as to say interesting!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Anyone buy anything from WOS in the last few weeks that cost more than €150 ?

Probably looking at spending 250-300UKP.

Understand they are charging ex uk vat, so that leaves irish vat, import duty and handling fee.
    Irish vat is 23% now, and the handling fees seem to be settling down/standardising, but what about the import duty?
    Do satellite receivers, lnbs, switches fall into the 0% category?

Have bought from hm-sat.de before, but WOS is offering a 2 year warranty, so trying to decide if the price difference is worth it.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have bought from hm-sat.de before, but WOS is offering a 2 year warranty, so trying to decide if the price difference is worth it.

TIA

Problem with the 2 year warranty is if you then run in to problems having to make customs declarations for refunds returning the box and the replacement coming back to you.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/how-to-claim-a-refund-of-customs-duty-and-value-added-tax-vat.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Thanks for that info - seems in that situation, you pay taxes up front and then try and claim them back...

Other issue is postage cost on returns.
    Sent a 2kg parcel to Belgium before christmas and it cost us fifty odd euro, not sure if UK is any cheaper!
    Must check with hm-sat again and see what warranty they are offering - I thought everything was 2years, but WOS have it on every page, so assumed it was an extra they were offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 notajim

Understand they are charging ex uk vat, so that leaves irish vat, import duty and handling fee.
    Irish vat is 23% now, and the handling fees seem to be settling down/standardising, but what about the import duty?
    Do satellite receivers, lnbs, switches fall into the 0% category?

TIA

Yes, thus this thread with the links.
    The EU/ UK Free Trade Agreement only applies to goods where the Country of Origin is either EU or UK. So if you're buying from a reseller/ distributor who didn't make the goods in the UK, they're supposed to charge the applicable duty

You see, commenst like this muddy the water and add noise.
    The EU/UK agreement wasn't mentioned. Instead, a link was given to the relevant page which shows that there is 0% import duties on satellite receivers. Please update your comment as it is misleading to people and quite pointless to mention that agreement when there is a well sourced and quoted link from official EU website showing 0% import fees on satellite receivers.

Also would be great if mods wouldn't delete messages from OP when they already called out the misinformation by ChippingSodbury. Yes I saw you guys delete the message with 0 mention. Poor form.

notajim wrote: »
    Yes, thus this thread with the links.

You see, commenst like this muddy the water and add noise.
    The EU/UK agreement wasn't mentioned. Instead, a link was given to the relevant page which shows that there is 0% import duties on satellite receivers. Please update your comment as it is misleading to people and quite pointless to mention that agreement when there is a well sourced and quoted link from official EU website showing 0% import fees on satellite receivers.

The problem with that logic is that the Revenue office decide on what the import duty should be, they're not necessarily going to calculate it using the same Taric code you think it is, and it's cumbersome trying to claim it back if they get it wrong. Not to mention handling fees. Much easier to buy from the EU.

Do you think revenue are opening every package to inspect it before deciding fee structure? The seller electronically declares what's in it using the taric code which figures out the import fees automatically thus ppl getting an email from courier as soon as it hits irish distribution center with fees decided instantly by computer, not Mary from the revenue who god love her has been working 24hrs a day to keep the packages flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Bought an enigma 2 receiver of WOS 2 weeks back.
    I usually get it sent to NI address however it was coming in £5 cheaper to ROI or so I thought until DPD sent me invoice for €23 to clear customs

£86 to NI
    £81 to Republic + €23 to clear customs.

Won't be caught again.

notajim wrote: »
    Do you think revenue are opening every package to inspect it before deciding fee structure? The seller electronically declares what's in it using the taric code which figures out the import fees automatically thus ppl getting an email from courier as soon as it hits irish distribution center with fees decided instantly by computer, not Mary from the revenue who god love her has been working 24hrs a day to keep the packages flowing.

Mary was working up until last year at least.
    The computer has been getting it wrong in some cases, as you can see from the posters who have been charged duty.

Advertisement