Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrew Beer Howto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

sharingan wrote: »
    This isnt how you batch prime. The priming solution needs to be mixed thoroughly into the beer (usually achieved in a second vessel, like a bottling bucket or pressure barrel). simply siphoning the beer into the solution in the second vessel is enough to do this, but you obviously cant stir the fermenter to do it as you will disturb the trub.

In all likelihood, your priming sugar is sitting undissolved or stratified in the trub layer of your primary fermenter and not making it into the bottles

Reiterate: to batch prime, you need a second vessel. Alternatively prime each bottle individually with a syringe or a carbonation cap.

Also I noticed that you bake your bottles ... I wouldn't do that unless you know those bottles will handle heat.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I do. I use a second vessel as you say to add the glucose prior to bottling in a similar way to as you describe. I have been baking my bottles for many years without incident so I reckon they are strong enough.
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭raxy

pcasso wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I do. I use a second vessel as you say to add the glucose prior to bottling in a similar way to as you describe. I have been baking my bottles for many years without incident so I reckon they are strong enough.
    Thanks for your help

Are you adding sugar or a sugar solution for carbonation? When I was bottling I dissolved the sugar in about 100ml water & boiled it for~10 minutes then add that to the bottling bucket & then the beer. I'd let it sit for about 30 minutes before bottling, you can give it a gentle stir to help the sugar mix.
    Are you cold crashing your beer before bottling?

raxy wrote: »
    Are you adding sugar or a sugar solution for carbonation? When I was bottling I dissolved the sugar in about 100ml water & boiled it for~10 minutes then add that to the bottling bucket & then the beer. I'd let it sit for about 30 minutes before bottling, you can give it a gentle stir to help the sugar mix.
    Are you cold crashing your beer before bottling?
    I use glucose suspended in half a litre of boiling water and stir until it is totally dissolved.
    No I don't cold crash. The beer is bottled and then conditioned at the same temperature as the primary fermentation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Loose caps is another common cause of flat beer, try using one plastic bottle with a screw top next time to see if it carbonates. Or you can put a balloon ove the neck of one of your bottles and see if it inflates.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Loose caps is another common cause of flat beer, try using one plastic bottle with a screw top next time to see if it carbonates. Or you can put a balloon ove the neck of one of your bottles and see if it inflates.
    I usually use a couple of different bottle types one with normal caps and the other a swing top. Thanks for the advice but I don't think its that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Looks like my batch is ready to bottle - got two identical readings two days in a day on the hydrometer.

Will start it this evening - very exciting!

I wasn't sure what it would look\smell like but during the testing it looked and smelled good.

Does the colour normally lighten a bit during the 2nd fermentation stage?

Also, is there any way I can test the alcohol % a week or so after its been bottled? Don't want to start sculling these bad boys back only to find they are 7\8% a pop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

We would both have similar bottling processes but not identical. I usually sterilize my bottles by a thorough washing and then baking in a oven for a couple of hours. Caps are steeped in Milton and then thoroughly rinsed.
    The only think that goes into the beer after fermentation is the additional glucose which I usually add to the fermenting bin the morning of bottling to facilitate an even distribution.
    All that goes into the wort during the boil is the hops and a whirlfloc tablet.
    I still have some bottles left so I will see can I get some additional fermentation going as you suggest.
    The beer isn't totally flat as there is a bit of a hiss on opening but the carbonation doesn't seem to have gone through the beer if that makes sense. A vigorous pour will produce a bit of a head but it will dissipate in less than a minute.
    Thanks for all your help,

How many grams of glucose are you dissolving and adding to your bottling bucket - I would expect this to be around 100g per 23 litres of beer? Also you say you add the sugar the morning of bottling, is there a significant lag here before you actually bottle the beer? If you're leaving it sit for a few hours it's possible the beer will ferment through the sugar (or a portion of it) prior to actually bottling resulting in flat beer.

Liamo08 wrote: »
    How many grams of glucose are you dissolving and adding to your bottling bucket - I would expect this to be around 100g per 23 litres of beer? Also you say you add the sugar the morning of bottling, is there a significant lag here before you actually bottle the beer? If you're leaving it sit for a few hours it's possible the beer will ferment through the sugar (or a portion of it) prior to actually bottling resulting in flat beer.

I think I put 120g into the last batch which should have meant a well carbonated beer.
    It is definitely possible that I am leaving too long of a timeframe between adding glucose and bottling. I will bear that in mind next time. I don't know what my buddy does

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wasn't sure what it would look\smell like but during the testing it looked and smelled good.
    That's the most important bit.
    Does the colour normally lighten a bit during the 2nd fermentation stage?
    Nope.
    Also, is there any way I can test the alcohol % a week or so after its been bottled? Don't want to start sculling these bad boys back only to find they are 7\8% a pop :pac:
    Strength is calculated based on your original and finishing gravity readings. Your OG was low so it's unlikely the beer will have come out strong. I suspect the OG is actually higher than your reading, but it won't be significantly so.

Quick question folks - plan is bottle in the next couple of days. When I put in the carbonation drops (it was recommended to put in 4 for the 1 litre bottles I have), should I give the bottle a shake or will they fully dissolve\dissipate on their their own?

• Advertisement

You don't need to do anything. The yeast will find and devour them unaided.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Quick question folks - plan is bottle in the next couple of days. When I put in the carbonation drops (it was recommended to put in 4 for the 1 litre bottles I have), should I give the bottle a shake or will they fully dissolve\dissipate on their their own?

As Beernut has said you don't need to do anything just keep them at the same temperature that you fermented them at for a couple of weeks after bottling before putting them in the fridge to drink.

I'd recommend using 3 carbonation drops for 1 litre, 1 is usually perfect for a 330ml bottle. 4 might be a little over carbed - depends on your taste to a degree here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Because your fermentations are producing enough alcohol, I'd say the issue is not with the ingredients from your supplier. I'd focus on the bottling/finishing stage. What is the temperature you 're fermenting at?

Are you both using the same bottling processes?
    What are ye using to finish the beer.in the fermenter? Are you using clarifiers? Are you using finishing products/stabilisers?

Have you any bottles left at the moment? If so, open two of them. Add a teaspoon of sugar to each. Cap them and put into a bucket in 20-23 degree space, covering the tops of the bottles with a dishcloth in case they go craaazy. Open bottle 1 after 2 days, and bottle 2 after 4 days. Check carbonation and taste. If bottle 1 is still flat, put a pinch of yeast into bottle 1 and re-cap it. Leavs for another 2-4 days.

What you're doing here is checking if viable yeasts are transferring into the bottles.

EDIT: what are you using to clean/sanitise the bottles?

Any development(s)?

Any development(s)?

Sorry Tom, I haven't got round to it yet but will do it in the next couple of days.
    I will update the thread if I have anything to report
    I am planning on brewing next week so will bear in mind all the advice offered.
    Thanks again for your help and advice

Any development(s)?

Okay, just a quick update.
    I put a spoon of sugar in a couple of bottles as you suggested and they both foamed up immediately. I capped them and left them in a warm place.
    So I opened the first one after forty eight hours. Although there was a small bit of a hiss when opening, suggesting at least some fermentation took place, the beer was still totally flat.
    Is it possible that it has some kind of infection?
    It tastes fine, just totally flat.
    I will give the second bottle another forty eight hours and report back then.

I put a spoon of sugar in a couple of bottles as you suggested and they both foamed up immediately. I capped them and left them in a warm place.
    So I opened the first one after forty eight hours. Although there was a small bit of a hiss when opening, suggesting at least some fermentation took place, the beer was still totally flat.

I bottled my beer last Wednesday - 1 litre bottles and I put three carbonation drops into each one. I opened one last night and nothing, no fizz at all...tastes okay but it’s seems I have the same problem as you. I’ll try a spoonful in a couple after you come back tomorrow if it seems that this is a solution to the issue

I put a spoon of sugar in a couple of bottles as you suggested and they both foamed upi immediately. I capped them and left them in a warm place.

Did you put a pinch of yeast into the bottle you just opened and re-cap it?

I bottled my beer last Wednesday - 1 litre bottles and I put three carbonation drops into each one. I opened one last night and nothing, no fizz at all...tastes okay but it’s seems I have the same problem as you. I’ll try a spoonful in a couple after you come back tomorrow if it seems that this is a solution to the issue

What temperature did you store the bottles at?

What temperature did you store the bottles at?

The room I had them in was approx 18 degrees

The room I had them in was approx 18 degrees

Ought to be ok for carbonation. Try pushing one bottle to 24-26 for a day or two. Wrap in a towel that covers the cap and place in a container in the hot press. The towel and container are intended to secure against damage in case of excessive carbonation leading to a bottle bomb..

• Advertisement

No I wanted to pour it out to see if there was any life in it at all.
    I will put yeast into the second bottle and reseal if it is still flat.
    I think there was a small amount of fermentation taking place in the first bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

Hi All.
    In the middle of my first home brew. 5 days into fermentation. Few quick questions:

1. Im gonna keg 10L and bottle the rest. How long will the beer last in each before taste goes a bit off. reason im asking is im thinking of buying a 19L corny keg so i can brew another batch straight away and have 2 going at the same time.

2. im gonna force carbonate the beer in the keg and use drops for the bottles. how long will the bottles take to carbonate?

anyone any tips on kegging the beer.

Cheers in advance for any help folks.

jrobertos wrote: »
    1. Im gonna keg 10L and bottle the rest. How long will the beer last in each before taste goes a bit off.
    It depends on the style. Something very hop-forward will begin losing its hop flavour and aroma within a few months whereas a dark or malt-forward beer will keep in the bottle or a corny for years. Personal taste is also a factor: the point at which you decide that the taste has gone beyond what's tolerable is going to be different for everyone.
    jrobertos wrote: »
    2. im gonna force carbonate the beer in the keg and use drops for the bottles. how long will the bottles take to carbonate?
    Conditioning is just fermentation, so about two weeks at room temperature to finish.

Another quick update.
    Bottle two has been opened and there are small signs of fermentation again but nothing significant.
    I have added a little yeast to the bottle and recapped it. I will give it a while to see if it ferments before opening it.
    I don't know what my problem is but I fear I am not getting any closer to the solution.
    Kegging probably :pac:

Another quick update.
    Bottle two has been opened and there are small signs of fermentation again but nothing significant.
    I have added a little yeast to the bottle and recapped it. I will give it a while to see if it ferments before opening it.
    I don't know what my problem is but I fear I am not getting any closer to the solution.

Stick with the fault-finding process. You're zeroing in!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

Hi again folks.

Another question for the people in the know. Most gas available seems to be beer gas( ie a mixture). Can i use that to force carbonate a keg?

Or what is the best solution. I don't really want to be buying CO2 and beergas canisters as they seem to be expensive from what i can see.

Another quick update.

Any further updates on your problem? I left mine an extra week and no good - gonna add an extra carbonation drop and some yeast in a couple of bottles this evening

Any further updates on your problem? I left mine an extra week and no good - gonna add an extra carbonation drop and some yeast in a couple of bottles this evening

What is the actual temp at the storage site?

Yes to your next step(s). Also, move THOSE 2 bottles into a 22-24C+ area (suitably protected against flooding from bottle bombs) and do as you say, but use 1 tsp table sugar per 500 ml in one bottle instead of the carb drop(s). Clearly mark the bottles. Leave for 3-5 days and re-open.

Consider those bottles as sacrificial and take hydrometer readings (adjusted for temp) after addition of each sugar type.

Document your steps as you go. You're in fault-finding mode and need to be precise in order to get to the root of the problem.

Edit: 2 Questions: 1. Did you use any 'stabiliser/finishing' additions after fermentation was done? 2. What is the pH of the finished beer? If you dont have pH measurement tools, does it taste on the sweet side or on the sour/tart side?

Edit of edit: i missed your post of 18C storage. Grand normally for conditioning over weeks to months. For this gig, you need to push it IMO. I've done this with sacrificial bottles wrapped in a bath towel in a bucket up to 30C. If you have any push-cap bottles with a washer (like Grolsch) they're great for this kind of assessment..

I am planning on leaving the bottle that I added extra yeast to for another couple of days before opening. I will post how I get on.
    I did do a brew today so I haven't been totally lazy:)

• Advertisement

Stick with the fault-finding process. You're zeroing in!

Another update.
    I opened the second bottle that I had added sugar and then yeast to before leaving for a week.
    here has been a good bit of fermenting in the seven days and the carbonation is decent.
    There is little sweetness left so I guess the yeast has used most if not all of the late added sugar.
    So can any conclusions be made as to what my original problem?
    I am thinking an insufficient amount of yeast left in the beer before bottling but why this would be I have no idea.
    Now to decide what to do with the remaining dozen or so bottles.
    I guess re priming with sugar and yeast is the best course of action.

Advertisement