Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zgemma H7s - Hard Drive

• 16-03-2021 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Just tried slotting in a 1TB HDD into my new zgemma h7s but no can do.
    Can't see any reason why the opening is so tight as to restrict HDD vs SSD but there you go.

I've a USB caddy that will take the HDD but it doesn't have it's own power supply.
    Anyone use externally connected drives like this, or is a self-powered caddy required?

I'd opt to use the 1TB vs a smaller SSD if separate power supply is not required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭andy1249

Just tried slotting in a 1TB HDD into my new zgemma h7s but no can do.
    Can't see any reason why the opening is so tight as to restrict HDD vs SSD but there you go.

I've a USB caddy that will take the HDD but it doesn't have it's own power supply.
    Anyone use externally connected drives like this, or is a self-powered caddy required?

I'd opt to use the 1TB vs a smaller SSD if separate power supply is not required.

Front slot is a CAM slot not a hard drive slot
    Take the lid off to install a standard 2.5 hard drive. The cables for it should have come with the Zgemma

Video of a clumsy untidy american doing it here ..... who also doesn't know what a CAM slot is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CEubnJVBsk

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

andy1249 wrote: »
    Front slot is a CAM slot not a hard drive slot
    Take the lid off to install a standard 2.5 hard drive. The cables for it should have come with the Zgemma

Video of a clumsy untidy american doing it here ..... who also doesn't know what a CAM slot is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CEubnJVBsk

There must be a difference in models. Mine has a rear opening into which a sata drive can be slotted. I could remove cover but want to ensure no warranty issue (sticker/seal is present on case which would break if box was opened). About only allows something like 6.5mm (measured with calipers) but 1TB HDD is around 8+ mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

I have same as you and I had to get an SSD to fit. I took cover off and still no go. I thought of cutting slot but decided to get an ssd.

It does appear as if there are 2 versions, ours may be either old or new stock,

You lads must have a newer version if it only takes SSDs

Also explains why I couldn't find a link to the PDF manual when replying to this , seems to have been pulled , probably because it doesn't match newer stock. All thats available is a two page spec sheet.

WOS still have these up for sale quoting 60 for a 1TB hard drive fitted ,i imagine that's old stock too , or else that's pretty cheap for a 1TB SSD

Maybe there was a heating problem using HDD internally but haven't researched it so pure guess.
    I might run cables from the sata connector's out through the slot and just plug the drive in behind/beside the unit. Prob better performance over usb. Bit messy but it'll all be hidden from view so not too bothered.
    That's IF I can get the cables connected without opening the case. Or might just try the USB to save the hassle and change it if it doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dubrov

Anytime I have used 2.5" HDDs and SSDs, they appear to be the exact same size.

I would've thought they would have to be as otherwise specs would state support specifically for SSDs/HDDs rather than just size.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

dubrov wrote: »
    Anytime I have used 2.5" HDDs and SSDs, they appear to be the exact same size.

I would've thought they would have to be as otherwise specs would state support specifically for SSDs/HDDs rather than just size.

I know on the ps4 there are limits to the height of hard drive that will fit, e.g. 9mm high will fit but 12mm won't, not sure the exact numbers.

I see above someone has mentioned 6mm as the max height which seems very tight for a HD.

They're not. The zgemma h7 slot wont take a normal 2.5hdd. If you take the cover off box it will fit in the bay.

Here is a pic of an ssd alongside an HDD. Spot the SSD.

The bonus is with ssd box is lightning fast.

The other thing is the ssd sticks out at rear.

That's mad. Will the cover fit back on the box afterwards?
    If not, that's bad from Zgemma not to make it clear in the specs.

In what way is the ssd faster? Most people just store recordings on the hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Got a new Zgemma on Saturday, I’m loving it. The ssd that I had took a bit of fiddling to get in, but it went in eventually.

• Advertisement

That's mad. Will the cover fit back on the box afterwards?
    If not, that's bad from Zgemma not to make it clear in the specs.

In what way is the ssd faster? Most people just store recordings on the hard drive

Not sure you'd see a speed difference between the different drive types in a set top box, but SSD speed is very noticeable in computing. No mechanical platters to spin up, no mechanical wear, less cooling required.

I take it that no one posting on this thread has used the USB connection for recording to disk? Can it even be done or must it be an 'installed' drive?

Here are 2 pics to explain clearly for those who don't have the box but are interested.

There is a slot at back cut out of the steel back to push in an ssd. it has nothing to do with the cover. The disc when slotted in sticks out.

As for speed trust me its faster to have an ssd and you can store the epg on the ssd.

I take it that no one posting on this thread has used the USB connection for recording to disk? Can it even be done or must it be an 'installed' drive?

You can record to a USB stick no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You can record to a USB stick no problem

Provided the USB is fast enough. USB's aren't design for repeated long term read/write cycles so may not last as long.
    As for using an SSD vs HDD, the SSD does not have to spin up each time you change channel or access the EPG to load picons or data. That is how they improve the performance
    They also have the benefit of being silent. Useful for a bedroom box. You can get a 120Gb SSD for about €25 which is more than enough for most users. If you need to store vast amounts of stuff consider a NAS.
    I saw a study before that found if you haven't watched anything you recorded within 3 days chances are you never would.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

swoofer wrote: »
    Here are 2 pics to explain clearly for those who don't have the box but are interested.

There is a slot at back cut out of the steel back to push in an ssd. it has nothing to do with the cover. The disc when slotted in sticks out.

As for speed trust me its faster to have an ssd and you can store the epg on the ssd.

Performance difference between ssd and HDD won't really matter for a set top box, but the ssd will be silent, which is a bonus.

Interesting that my H7S doesn't have that slot, there was a tray inside that you had to install HDD into. Looks like the layout has been refreshed?

I think most people store picons in flash though and EPG is loaded to memory no benefit there,
    However, the noise reduction would be a benefit, especially if you use timeshift.

I think you are a bit off beam but I wont say anymore.

Provided the USB is fast enough. USB's aren't design for repeated long term read/write cycles so may not last as long.
    As for using an SSD vs HDD, the SSD does not have to spin up each time you change channel or access the EPG to load picons or data. That is how they improve the performance
    They also have the benefit of being silent. Useful for a bedroom box. You can get a 120Gb SSD for about €25 which is more than enough for most users. If you need to store vast amounts of stuff consider a NAS.
    I saw a study before that found if you haven't watched anything you recorded within 3 days chances are you never would.

Studies show... :)
    Different for everyone I suppose but in our gaff some users do watch recordings that are months old. And there are a lot of recordings. Maybe I need to force a change in habits, and then maybe I'll need to find a new house to live in while I'm at it!
    I'm going to dig out some sata cables when I get a chance and see if I can extend the connection from the box to allow me use the 1TB I have externally rather than connect it via USB.

Re. suitability of USB for repeated read/write...I take it you are referring to the use of a USB thumbdrive/flashdrive? In my specific case (and reason for thread) I wanted to connect a hard disk drive via USB. There's a USB 3 port (along with USB 2 ports) on the zgemma so should be good enough. But HDDs draw more power than SSD or thumbdrive so was querying if anyone had done this.

swoofer wrote: »

Kind of jealous now knowing that there is a newer model out there , but from those pics , definitely SSD only , you just couldn't have a mechanical drive sticking out of a slot like that as usually one side of them is bare circuit board , it would be asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Neilinireland

My recording on a ZGEMMA H7S has stopped working. I think the directory has disappeared or is deleted. How do I reenable the recording? Or what could it be?

• Advertisement

neil this is a very old thread post again in thread Zgemma H7S guide better chance of a reply, say image you are using.

Post edited by swoofer on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Well i see it posted as a hard drive issue.

I had used an externally powered Toshiba 2 tb previously and now fitted an internal ssd as my box was older and no slot in rear.

Neil do you see your storage device seen from the menu?

Do you have a list of recordings seen on your box ?

When you finished looking at any recording and you delete it , it is moved into the trash , go into the deleted item and check in there.

If you moved a program in there by accident you can move it back.

Delete removes them and frees up space.

Box should also say what % is left on HDD.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Spam post has been deleted.

calculettemauricette gets the maximum six month ban for spam.

Advertisement