Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New or nearly new electric/hybrid?

• 16-03-2021 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there,
    Just looking for advice as a bit overwhelmed by so much info online. Have 20k cash and 10 yr old golf to trade-in. Golf will get 2-3k for a trade-in. I want to buy an electric/hybrid car. SUV style, 5 door and high spec. Slight preference for automatic but not a deal-breaker. Not fussed about any particular brand. Happy to charge at home.
    I think I can get a grant of 5km if I spend over 20k on the new car so with trade-in, puts me in price range of 27.5k or maybe a bit higher as I am a cash buyer
    If anyone has any experience of recent purchases or advice to ask garages I would love to hear from you. Would think about secondhand if the spec is high enough.
    Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Well unless you're looking to buy a mild hybrid then every car you'll look at will be an automatic.

What sort of driving do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sunnyt1234

Mainly city driving. About 20km daily to and from work (even at the moment) and usually one long trip of 200km a month outside COVID times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The 2 budget suv styles are the e kiro and kona and possibly the esoul.

The next one is the id4 but that's 45k for a nice spec and the Audi and jag are well up from there.

Do the first 2 seem ok and meet your needs? Kona is the go too but it's small enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I have a 2018 niro phev and love it. very high spec; lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, heated seats/ steering wheel. back seats are spacious but the boot space is disappointing.

I can get a fuel economy of 3-4l/100km on a motorway drive in hybrid mode and about 50km on a full battery charge.

I think they're all automatic nowdays....I would never touch manual again. I think the hybrids are the way to go....my Daughter bought the Corolla h/ back hybrid & Swears by it. Its v comfy, easy on the eye& she does a fair bit of mileage but hasn't put petrol in it since getting it. The thing about the fuel economy though is that it v dependent on the type of driving your doing...the way I see it that car uses same amount of petrol for a 10km round trip to Tesco's as a 35km trip on 'open' road. Do LOADS of homework before committing

• Advertisement

Just looking at those € figures I would say go NEW if you can afford it......maybe that's just me though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

Renault Capture PHEV worth looking at

Casati wrote: »
    Renault Capture PHEV worth looking at

As an example of the absurdity of some phev pricing. New capture starts at 23k. Mid range is 24 and top end 26k. The phev is a whopping 35k before a lick of metallic paint. That's ten thousand euros of fuel up front in the hope of saving money.

You need to be driving beyond 100km a day to break even in 5 years. If your doing 50km a day then you are looking at nearer 10 years just to break even. Pure madness. Just buy a full ev for that money. An id4 would be a much better choice and car.

Lantus wrote: »
    As an example of the absurdity of some phev pricing. New capture starts at 23k. Mid range is 24 and top end 26k. The phev is a whopping 35k before a lick of metallic paint. That's ten thousand euros of fuel up front in the hope of saving money.

You need to be driving beyond 100km a day to break even in 5 years. If your doing 50km a day then you are looking at nearer 10 years just to break even. Pure madness. Just buy a full ev for that money. An id4 would be a much better choice and car.

The OP wants an automatic so pointless comparing the base petrol manual, also I was sure the Captur was under 30k - are you excluding the 7500 grant with the 35k starting?

The OP wants an automatic so pointless comparing the base petrol manual, also I was sure the Captur was under 30k - are you excluding the 7500 grant with the 35k starting?

Just checked - 130bhp auto petrol S Edition has a list of 30270. The PHEV in S Edition spec with 158bhp has list 35170 less 5000 Seai grant brings it to 100 quid of the petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Just checked - 130bhp auto petrol S Edition has a list of 30270. The PHEV in S Edition spec with 158bhp has list 35170 less 5000 Seai grant brings it to 100 quid of the petrol.

Are you sure the grant comes off?

Nothing on Renault website about it. Usually they take it off on the website or at least list it in a footnote as its in their best interest to show that.

I also wouldnt be surprised if the grant no longer applies to the Captur as it has an EV range <50km which I believe is a requirement to qualify for the grant after this month.

KCross wrote: »
    Are you sure the grant comes off?

Nothing on Renault website about it. Usually they take it off on the website or at least list it in a footnote as its in their best interest to show that.

I also wouldnt be surprised if the grant no longer applies to the Captur as it has an EV range <50km which I believe is a requirement to qualify for the grant after this month.

Yes I’m positive it’s excluded. Does this change your views about them?

Does this change your views about them?

No, I'm still in favour of PHEV's!
    I think your question might have been for Lantus though, not me! ;)
    Yes I’m positive it’s excluded.

Are you positive the grant still applies to the Captur from April onwards?
    As I said its got an EV range <50km and I think that will exclude it from the grant in a few weeks time.

No, I'm still in favour of PHEV's!
    I think your question might have been for Lantus though, not me! ;)

Are you positive the grant still applies to the Captur from April onwards?
    As I said its got an EV range <50km and I think that will exclude it from the grant in a few weeks time.

Sorry didn’t cop you replied. I’m not an expert in the grants but Isn’t it 50 grams /co2 rather than 50km? If so the Captur should still be safe

I’m not an expert in the grants but Isn’t it 50 grams /co2 rather than 50km? If so the Captur should still be safe

The renault website specifically mentions the SEAI grant is included in the Zoe price but nothing mentioned for the Captur. I'd be thinking it doesnt qualify for the grant as they have no reasons to leave it out on their website.

The requirement for PHEV grant is <60gCO2 AND >50km in EV mode. The Captur is 49km so I think it doesnt qualify.

The renault website specifically mentions the SEAI grant is included in the Zoe price but nothing mentioned for the Captur. I'd be thinking it doesnt qualify for the grant as they have no reasons to leave it out on their website.

The requirement for PHEV grant is <60gCO2 AND >50km in EV mode. The Captur is 49km so I think it doesnt qualify.

Some dealers list around 30k and it is listed on seai website. Still a hard sell at that price as it's basically a 24k car with a battery. Good value at lower price for class of car. Neighbour has new one and it looks great.

A lot of phev is a premium price with limited cost benefit now ev market is better developed. You need to be very honest about your usage and cost benefit analysis. Or just ignore the cost and enjoy the extra power with petrol which is my preferred option.

Lantus wrote: »
    Some dealers list around 30k and it is listed on seai website. Still a hard sell at that price as it's basically a 24k car with a battery. Good value at lower price for class of car. Neighbour has new one and it looks great.

A lot of phev is a premium price with limited cost benefit now ev market is better developed. You need to be very honest about your usage and cost benefit analysis. Or just ignore the cost and enjoy the extra power with petrol which is my preferred option.

It isn’t a 24k base spec petrol 100bhp car with a battery though, it’s the highest spec, auto with 158bhp and is basically the same price as a similar spec 130bhp petrol auto. It’s not cheap but should fit the OP’s budget

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭serox_21

How about MG - starts at 28k

Hi all. Went with a new Kiro Niro Plug-in Hybrid. Made most sense with my current situation. Will hopefully have it next week. Thanks for your advice!

sunnyt1234 wrote: »
    Hi all. Went with a new Kiro Niro Plug-in Hybrid. Made most sense with my current situation. Will hopefully have it next week. Thanks for your advice!

Nice car. Friend just got one. Be sure to come back with some real world usage info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

sunnyt1234 wrote: »

Hi just wondering what price it came in at?

29.5k with a bit of haggling. It was worth the little extra spend my end to get a new car. 1st and most likely last time driving a brand new bus!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Thanks for that. I'm in a similar situation as you, with the 10 year old car etc and this really helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭ei9go

Does anyone read these posts.

Just surprised this escaped "my Daughter bought the Corolla h/ back hybrid & Swears by it. Its v comfy, easy on the eye& she does a fair bit of mileage but hasn't put petrol in it since getting it. "

It's a Toyota hybrid , it only runs on Petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

She probably bought it within the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭innrain

ei9go wrote: »

Just surprised this escaped "my Daughter bought the Corolla h/ back hybrid & Swears by it. Its v comfy, easy on the eye& she does a fair bit of mileage but hasn't put petrol in it since getting it. "

I have a 07 Clio didn't put petrol in it since July. Because the very short drives its average consumption is 11.5 l/100 km though 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

innrain wrote: »
    I have a 07 Clio didn't put petrol in it since July. Because the very short drives its average consumption is 11.5 l/100 km though 😊

That girls hybrid is probably doing c. 5 l/100 km, any one would be delighted with their purchase if it was twice as efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

ei9go wrote: »

Not true, some run on sunshineCOPY_306169846_AR_1_OAJEBHOMNCMM.gif

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭innrain

kanuseeme wrote: »
    That girls hybrid is probably doing c. 5 l/100 km, any one would be delighted with their purchase if it was twice as efficient.
    That was my point exactly. Who cares when you put petrol last. Tell me what it takes to drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement