Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crock Of Gold - A Few Rounds With Shane MacGowan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lapt0pJC

I’ve seen rough cuts of it and it’s a fantastic film they really pull out the stops. It’s a sad story and a feelgood story it’s one of Julian’s best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hope theres not too much of Victoria Mary Clarke, cant fupping stand her.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,590 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Hope theres not too much of Victoria Mary Clarke, cant fupping stand her.

Just watched it...surprisingly, Victoria doesn’t feature as much as I thought she would.

Good stuff, although you can’t help but feel Johnny Depp really played up the Plastic Paddyness for an American audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just watched it...surprisingly, Victoria doesn’t feature as much as I thought she would.

Good stuff, although you can’t help but feel Johnny Depp really played up the Plastic Paddyness for an American audience.

for example, the leprecauns?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,590 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

for example, the leprecauns?

The title and the poster for starters...’A Few Rounds’ alluding to fighting and/or drinking. That picture and font that wouldn’t look out of place on a fruit machine called ‘Lucky Leprechauns’.

In fact, I got the general feeling from the documentary that Shane isn’t really that friendly with Depp. Just another Hollywood hanger-on.

Anybody else get that impression?

• Advertisement

The title and the poster for starters...’A Few Rounds’ alluding to fighting and/or drinking. That picture and font that wouldn’t look out of place on a fruit machine called ‘Lucky Leprechauns’.

In fact, I got the general feeling from the documentary that Shane isn’t really that friendly with Depp. Just another Hollywood hanger-on.

Anybody else get that impression?

watching depp playing guitar was enough for me, he's actor through and through, Shane has a head start on him intellectually :)

bobby gillespie was the star of the show!! legend :)

jonny needs shan e more than shane needs jonny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Watched this. It was enjoyable, but Shane McGowan is an absolute twat of a man. He has an absolutely warped and disturbing view of Irish history, and the few "out takes" they shown of Shane winging really captured the essence of the man. (As this was a homage to the man can you imagine the stuff left on the cutting room floor?)

Victoria Mary Clarke is a strange woman and the way she was laughing hysterically at Johnny Depp's poor jokes make me think she wasn't going to be entirely faithful to Shane that night after he finally passed out from the drink.

Shane has written some great songs including the best Xmas tune ever, but as they say George Best was a great footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Chawosfski

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Watched this. It was enjoyable, but Shane McGowan is an absolute twat of a man. He has an absolutely warped and disturbing view of Irish history, and the few "out takes" they shown of Shane winging really captured the essence of the man. (As this was a homage to the man can you imagine the stuff left on the cutting room floor?)

Victoria Mary Clarke is a strange woman and the way she was laughing hysterically at Johnny Depp's poor jokes make me think she wasn't going to be entirely faithful to Shane that night after he finally passed out from the drink.

Shane has written some great songs including the best Xmas tune ever, but as they say George Best was a great footballer.

George Best was a great footballer..

That's all that matters

Chawosfski wrote: »
    George Best was a great footballer..

That's all that matters

Shane gives great handjobs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Chawosfski

Watched some of it , the dialogue is garbage

Sounds like he's treating it as a pisstake, that's the way he operates anyhow

He decides if something's worth taking seriously , in this case no

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

Watched tonight on BBC 4 with subtitles. Airing tonight because of paddy’s day I presume. It’s excellent he’s a genius. Rainy night in Soho my favorite song of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

cozar wrote: »
    Watched tonight on BBC 4 with subtitles. Airing tonight because of paddy’s day I presume. It’s excellent he’s a genius. Rainy night in Soho my favorite song of all time.

Watched it as well for the first time with the lingering memory of generally mediocre to bad reviews.

It's clear that he is a difficult interviewee given how cynical he is to any regular social norms. You wouldn't blame him either with the way he is treated by interviewers at various points. The parts with Bobby Gillespie though, who I guess he might consider as a peer and a friend, are quite awkward.

His parents, particularly his father, come across as being as loose as Shane is in a way to almost welcome some of the wildness of his teenage years well before his musical success!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I enjoyed it for the most part, probably more so because of some of the reviews I'd read and expected it to be worse. Thought the likes of depp, adams and one or two others added absolutely nothing to the narrative, though. Siobhan MacGowan was excellent. The meat of the doc was pretty good, overall bout 7/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I enjoyed it for the most part, probably more so because of some of the reviews I'd read and expected it to be worse. Thought the likes of depp, adams and one or two others added absolutely nothing to the narrative, though. Siobhan MacGowan was excellent. The meat of the doc was pretty good, overall bout 7/10 for me.

Would agree there.

That is part of the frustration I guess. He is happy to swallow some of the indulging ****e from these types but will scoff at a more legitimate question or angle from someone less famous (or infamous).

Advertisement