Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One reason the numbers are not decreasing

• 16-03-2021 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Straight from "the horses mouth".

Overheard a Hotel owner saying that they do 100-200 kegs week.

How?
    In this case, the hotel owner supplies other pubs that cannot open and supplies shebeens as well.

He mentioned lockins at his establishment and the fact that this was occurring in other "closed" pubs as well.

He mentioned and was proud of the fact that he gets a call if there is going to be any Garda activity.

It was also mentioned that there was an event being held in another town by a GAA club and that there would be some "blue lights" that would be ignored.

What
    The Gardai need to commit to enforcing the law and not bypassing stuff.

Who controls or authorizes the right of publicans and hotels to continue to practice?
    (By all accounts it is the Gardai themselves).

Who governs publicans licenses?
    Which is the appropriate authority to contact that governs them?
    If that does not work then who is the next or superior body.

Who
    If the local guards are in on it then who does one contact? Drew Harris himself??
    Because one doesn't want to report something even as a general report in a different district or Dublin HQ only to have a Gard report it to one or more local Gards or the Super of the district involved (who may or may not be involved or turning a blind eye).

At this time they have your personal information ( phone number, name & address) so it's a worry of reprisal.

By all accounts it seems to be a wink-wink, nod-nod type situation.

If that's the case, it is facilitating the congregations of people, the spread of this virus and part of the reason we are not seeing drastic reductions in numbers even with "level 5" lockdown measures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Not sure how this hotel is getting away with that. My brother is bar manager in one here in Dublin and any keg that comes needs to have the pint tax paid on it, so how are they getting away with bringing all these kegs in without paying the tax at the other end? They're leaving themselves open to serious risk there if that's what they're at. There's also nothing stopping pubs from buying kegs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

The only reason numbers are not decreasing is because of the total unnecessary testing of healthy people to tell them they’re sick

Give up that sh1t and numbers will drop dramatically. Base restrictions on actual admissions to hospitals with covid complications and we may be able to salvage something before the whole country goes down the pan....

• Registered Users Posts: 31 wanderwhithme

The only reason numbers are not decreasing is because of the total unnecessary testing of healthy people to tell them they’re sick

Give up that sh1t and numbers will drop dramatically. Base restrictions on actual admissions to hospitals with covid complications and we may be able to salvage something before the whole country goes down the pan....

errm... i won't bother. I'm sure that others will respond to the absurdity of that statement.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Not sure how this hotel is getting away with that. My brother is bar manager in one here in Dublin and any keg that comes needs to have the pint tax paid on it, so how are they getting away with bringing all these kegs in without paying the tax at the other end? They're leaving themselves open to serious risk there if that's what they're at. There's also nothing stopping pubs from buying kegs in.

This is the west of Ireland.

One thing that was mentioned was the fear of the likes of Heineken / Guinness etc wondering about the levels of orders and becoming suspicious.

It requires the Gards and perhaps Revenue to do an audit of these orders in comparison to the level of staying guests.
    It involves "proper" detective work.

Who do i request this from?
    • A specific department in Garda HQ - rather than a standard response or automated system?
    • My local councilor or TD? (that's Leo himself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I hope you are not suggesting corruption in the AGS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fwiw Guinness haven't been kegging for months. There's no supply of (fresh) Guinness kegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

'straight from the horses mouth' ah well that's all the evidence I need to believe some random claim on the internet........ ;-)

I hope you are not suggesting corruption in the AGS

God forbid.

One actually has to wonder about fallback from reporting stuff and exposing ones personal details.

If one reports things without personal details, is it actually accepted and dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I heard this from a Man who heard it from his neighbour who overheard it at the local shop when Biddy was gossiping with Maggie both of whom got the vaccine about 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

'straight from the horses mouth' ah well that's all the evidence I need to believe some random claim on the internet........ ;-)

It is the phrase i used on this post and it is my direct experience.
    I am providing direct experience of what i overheard and was part of.

By your reasoning :
    Everything you see on boards.ie is "some random claim on the internet"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Macy0161 wrote: »
    fwiw Guinness haven't been kegging for months. There's no supply of (fresh) Guinness kegs.

How long does a keg 'keep' for, a few months at least I'd say, if untapped. Dont know would there still be a backlog after a year. I'm sure they can do batches and restart production if demand is there

Jesus I'd love a pint

I heard this from a Man who heard it from his neighbour who overheard it at the local shop when Biddy was gossiping with Maggie both of whom got the vaccine about 3 weeks ago.

No, i heard this directly from the proprietor of the hotel.
    I was too slow to record that part of the conversation because i was so engrossed in it.
    By the time i did record, the conversation had moved on to a different topic.

Macy0161 wrote: »

I used the phrase "the likes of Heineken / Guinness etc "
    Thanks for focusing on one one specific aspect whilst ignoring the rest.

And thanks as well for providing clarity.

I was drinking Heineken.

In retrospect i should have ordered a Guinness myself to test the point (pint).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

How long does a keg 'keep' for, a few months at least I'd say, if untapped. Dont know would there still be a backlog after a year. I'm sure they can do batches and restart production if demand is there

Jesus I'd love a pint

Untapped keg would last about 3 months for Guinness and up to 4 months for beer. Are anyone kegging? Last I heard it was all bottles and cans being produced and even then not the full line up of different products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

Straight from "the horses mouth".

Overheard a Hotel owner saying that they do 100-200 kegs week.

How?
    In this case, the hotel owner supplies other pubs that cannot open and supplies shebeens as well.

He mentioned lockins at his establishment and the fact that this was occurring in other "closed" pubs as well.

He mentioned and was proud of the fact that he gets a call if there is going to be any Garda activity.

It was also mentioned that there was an event being held in another town by a GAA club and that there would be some "blue lights" that would be ignored.

What
    The Gardai need to commit to enforcing the law and not bypassing stuff.

Who controls or authorizes the right of publicans and hotels to continue to practice?
    (By all accounts it is the Gardai themselves).

Who governs publicans licenses?
    Which is the appropriate authority to contact that governs them?
    If that does not work then who is the next or superior body.

Who
    If the local guards are in on it then who does one contact? Drew Harris himself??
    Because one doesn't want to report something even as a general report in a different district or Dublin HQ only to have a Gard report it to one or more local Gards or the Super of the district involved (who may or may not be involved or turning a blind eye).

At this time they have your personal information ( phone number, name & address) so it's a worry of reprisal.

By all accounts it seems to be a wink-wink, nod-nod type situation.

If that's the case, it is facilitating the congregations of people, the spread of this virus and part of the reason we are not seeing drastic reductions in numbers even with "level 5" lockdown measures.

To be fair restrictions are not being enforced across the country in all areas.

People are still visiting each others homes. Meeting up in groups.
    Going to the shops with no mask. Using public transport with no mask.

While this is the case were are obviously going to hit a "floor" with the number of cases. They will decrease so far but as long as you have a significant number simply not going along with the restrictions there will always be cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I was too slow to record that part of the conversation because i was so engrossed in it.

Why did you try to record the conversation? Ok, some people are breaking the lockdown because they have livelihoods to earn, get over yourself with your pearl clutching and dont mind reporting anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

This is the west of Ireland.

One thing that was mentioned was the fear of the likes of Heineken / Guinness etc wondering about the levels of orders and becoming suspicious.

It requires the Gards and perhaps Revenue to do an audit of these orders in comparison to the level of staying guests.
    It involves "proper" detective work.

Who do i request this from?
    • A specific department in Garda HQ - rather than a standard response or automated system?
    • My local councilor or TD? (that's Leo himself)

The Super in the district headquarters. So not necessarily your local station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

By your reasoning :
    Everything you see on boards.ie is "some random claim on the internet"

Exactly all anecdotal unless backed up by evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Record the conversation!!

I though ye overheard it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

one word for you -

G O B S H Y T E

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think the last kegs are due to be out of date this week or next.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lukas8888

one word for you -

G O B S H Y T E

100% correct, That poster deserves a medal for the most absurd bullsh/t posted
    on boards today.

Mules wrote: »
    Why did you try to record the conversation? Ok, some people are breaking the lockdown because they have livelihoods to earn, get over yourself with your pearl clutching and dont mind reporting anyone.

Why did i try to record?
    Because i was astounded by what i was hearing and i was mindful of whether i would be believed.
    Or perhaps i wanted the glee of playing the conversation back to my mates and looking at the astonishment on their faces <-- this is usually the case with most people.

Unfortunately i was too late to take the phone out of my pocket, access it via the biometrics, select the recording app etc.
    By then it was too late and all that i and you have is my anecdotal evidence.

So, is my first hand experience worthless (unless perhaps it is documented on Youtube??)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I have Drew's mobile pm me if you want it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Rosita

This was Donal Trump's suggestion back in June.

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/trump-if-we-stop-testing-wed-have-fewer-cases

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

errm... i won't bother. I'm sure that others will respond to the absurdity of that statement.

Stop testing and the numbers will go down, sweet suffering Jesus :D Isn't that what Trump was advocating for at the beginning of the pandemic? Has it really come to this for the oddballs of boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I have Drew's mobile pm me if you want it ;)

He's probably lost that phone a few times, like yer wan before him.

Anyways, the numbers are going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Stop testing and the numbers will go down, sweet suffering Jesus :D Isn't that what Trump was advocating for at the beginning of the pandemic? Has it really come to this for the oddballs of boards.ie?

Why people want to continue testing asymptomatic people so long after the WHO has said only symptomatic people should be tested.

The oddballs are those that want to hold on to this forever and ever ....

• Advertisement

Why did you try to record the conversation?

See previous responses.
    Ok, some people are breaking the lockdown because they have livelihoods to earn, get over yourself with your pearl clutching and dont mind reporting anyone.

So there's a lockdown being enforced.

The lockdown is recommended by the brightest minds in the country in this field of experience and it is being enforced by the people you elected (unless you support SF or smaller parties).

So, according to you it is OK for people to break the lockdown according to your or their own justification instead?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement