Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for suggestions for a laptop for MS Office, browsing and Netflix/Youtube

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

glasso wrote: »
    let us know how you get on.

you might have to ship to china maybe to get the repair or more hopefully refund as that could be part of their policy and could be drawn out unfortunately but don't give in...

Well I've said to them there's no way in hell I'm shipping to China. I didn't order the laptop from their Chinese website or warehouse. Where or how they repair it is none of my concern.

I'll keep ye posted anyways.

Well I've said to them there's no way in hell I'm shipping to China. I didn't order the laptop from their Chinese website or warehouse. Where or how they repair it is none of my concern.

I'll keep ye posted anyways.

what did you say to convince them to abandon their screen or motherboard no warranty rubbish?

glasso wrote: »
    what did you say to convince them to abandon their screen or motherboard no warranty rubbish?

Just quoted them European laws on goods and services.

Their bulls**t guarantee doesn't override consumer rights.

Just quoted them European laws on goods and services.

Their bulls**t guarantee doesn't override consumer rights.

correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭orm0nd

regulators wrote: »
    Wouldn't have even purchasing it if there wasn't. Piece of junk.

My repair guy agrees. Terrible assembly with the cheapest components.
    He had seen a few Chinese machines but this was the worst piece of sh1t he came across.

• Advertisement

Well, I've shipped the laptop back to them in China.

Not confident of getting a good resolution based on my experience with Geekbuying support so far, but worth a shot as the laptop was unusable anyway.

Well, I've shipped the laptop back to them in China.

Not confident of getting a good resolution based on my experience with Geekbuying support so far, but worth a shot as the laptop was unusable anyway.

They will have to sort you out in some way now that you've sent it back. Let us know what happens.

Laptop is in customs in China now and Geekbuying are playing silly buggers about contacting customs.

What a sh*theap of a company to deal with.

keep at the fookers having got this far.

it's a return - should not be an issue with customs.

Geekbuying are claiming now that they've contacted customs but that the item isn't there, even though both An Post and China Post says the recipient needs to contact customs.

I'm done dealing with these clowns, what options are open to me? PayPal dispute, credit card charge back?

• Advertisement

keep annoying them with messages for a bit - you obviously have scans?

can China Post be contacted to show them that it's a return to release from customs for you?

I have scans of everything and can see from An Post and China Post that the laptop is in customs and the receiver needs to contact customs, but Geekbuying are playing dumb saying that they contacted customs but they don't have the item.

These guys are pure chancers, should have read some online reviews before ordering from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I have scans of everything and can see from An Post and China Post that the laptop is in customs and the receiver needs to contact customs, but Geekbuying are playing dumb saying that they contacted customs but they don't have the item.

These guys are pure chancers, should have read some online reviews before ordering from them.

Contact China Customs.
    Try here http://english.customs.gov.cn/
    Send them copies of the scans you have & let them deal with it.
    If after a period of time if nothing happens contact PayPal & open a dispute claim.

paypal cover is good but only lasts for 180 days

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Contact China Customs.
    Try here http://english.customs.gov.cn/
    Send them copies of the scans you have & let them deal with it.
    If after a period of time if nothing happens contact PayPal & open a dispute claim.

Can't find anything on that website to submit a query.

I've opened a PayPal dispute today, hopefully they can help.

Can't find anything on that website to submit a query.

I've opened a PayPal dispute today, hopefully they can help.

if you are fortunately enough to be within the time period then great -> they should definitely help out in this case.

make sure to describe them initially denying any warranty etc - strengthens your narrative about the China customs thing

Unfortunately Paypal couldn't assist with my claim.

What other avenues are open to me?

Unfortunately Paypal couldn't assist with my claim.

What other avenues are open to me?

The only other thing I can suggest is that if you paid through PayPal I presume you used a credit card. You could go through the Credit Card company & do what is called a chargeback but I think that only works if they didn't supply what you paid for or it didn't arrive ?
    You've nothing to lose at this stage so you could try them anyway.

Well the laptop didn't make it through customs in China and is being sent back to me. Don't know if Geekbuying made any effort to engage with Chinese customs on their end. Once it arrives back they want me to ship it to their Hong Kong warehouse.

Dear God, let no one ever recommend buying from this shower ever again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Just wondering did any body ever get refunded or reimbursed for this heap of junk.

I couldn't be arsed and moved on but lesson learned about heeding online advice.

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    Just wondering did any body ever get refunded or reimbursed for this heap of junk.

I couldn't be arsed and moved on but lesson learned about heeding online advice.

Online advice is fine depending on who it comes from. Buyers need to do their research before buying.
    I would never buy a big ticket item from companies like this as it can be problematic in the event of having to make a return unless they have a European base.
    Companies like this are fine for cheap throw away items so that in the event of a problem you simply move on with little loss.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Online advice is fine depending on who it comes from. Buyers need to do their research before buying.
    I would never buy a big ticket item from companies like this as it can be problematic in the event of having to make a return unless they have a European base.
    Companies like this are fine for cheap throw away items so that in the event of a problem you simply move on with little loss.

the original youtube guy as it turns out was getting affiliate link kickbacks and later revealed that a review unit actually failed on him during review but only revealed this in a comment later on and didn't mention it at all in the review.

at the time there were very few good deals out there and a metal chassis laptop with a decent quad-core cpu for under 500 euro looked an attractive deal

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Mine went last night. Was just general browsing and the laptop shut off and there was a smell of burn coming from the back of the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭tmh106

Mine is still going, but has taken to blue screening quite regularly. Someone earlier called it a "heap of junk" and I couldn't disagree. Mine was fine for the first few months because I was using it with external monitor, keyboard, mouse. But then I got a new work laptop, used external gear for it and started using the Vorke as a laptop proper. Not nice at all. Probably try to get another few months out of it. Will probably go brand name next time. Very disappointing to read about the guy doing the online review - his review was a significant factor in my going for this. Hope his career as a reviewer is over.

After shipping to China and having the laptop sent back by customs, I shipped to their Hong Kong address. Based on the tracking number it was delivered, but now Geekbuying are claiming they haven't received the laptop. Utter scumbags.

Does anyone know where I could find out the physical addresses for Geekbuying in Europe? I assume they have to be registered somewhere in Europe in order to be able to trade here. The laptop was shipped from their Poland address.

I'll be pursuing this through the European Small Claims Procedure.

After shipping to China and having the laptop sent back by customs, I shipped to their Hong Kong address. Based on the tracking number it was delivered, but now Geekbuying are claiming they haven't received the laptop. Utter scumbags.

Does anyone know where I could find out the physical addresses for Geekbuying in Europe? I assume they have to be registered somewhere in Europe in order to be able to trade here. The laptop was shipped from their Poland address.

I'll be pursuing this through the European Small Claims Procedure.

it appears that there may be no actual warehouse / address

https://news.escoot.ie/when-eu-warehouse-scam-knocks-you-down/

if you have tracking delivered your best course of action is to keep annoying them there

tell them you will post 10 negative reviews on trustpilot from different email addresses etc

post one and send them a link and say that this is only the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Sorry ye got burned people, Not sure why a cheap Chinese laptop with a non brand name was mentioned here and especially buying it from geekbuying. Its crazy someone was recommending this laptop.

Well, managed to get 80% of the cost of the laptop refunded from Geekbuying after 80 messages to their "support" and shipping the laptop to China and then subsequently to Hong Kong.

They deducted 20% because I got 6 months use from the laptop. Some shower, but glad to have gotten something back.

Lesson learned with these dodgy China warehouse-type companies.

so they obviously did acknowledge receipt of return in the end.

80% refund is not a bad result, notwithstanding the hassle of it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement