Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BrewDog Shares

Options
  • 18-07-2011 5:41pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.brewdog.com/equityforpunks

Anyone had a look at this?

I love the beer so getting a shareholder's lifetime discount on them would probably end up paying for itself eventually but I dunno if it's much good as any sort of investment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

£950 worth of beer and you've made your money back!

I've been a fan of Brewdog for some years, and they've exploded in popularity the past 3 years or so. You can buy their beer in supermarkets, and they're opening a chain of bars.
    I suppose the question is, can they keep expanding enough to justify a £23 million valuation? Given that their profits last year were about 250k, that price tag is optimistic to say the least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I would near bet money on them opening a pub in Dublin so I'd quite easily make the money back in discounts over a lifetime.
    I am also a huge fan, not just of the beer but of what they're trying to do for the beer scene here so I almost want to help be a part of that. On top of that, an invite to their AGM would be cool and I'd love the chance to go up and brew the shareholder's beer if possible. It's only £95 after all.

In terms of expansion and profits I can see them becoming a very big force in brewing here. Beer is slowly getting the same sort of attention that wine began to get 20-30 years ago and people are more and more turning to craft beer and without a doubt BrewDog are one of the leaders in that sense. They're going to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

They're back, trying to raise £20 million- https://www.brewdog.com/uk/equityforpunks/tomorrow-raise/welcome

From IG.com

Having seen spectacular growth since its founding, the firm faces a more uncertain future. The global pandemic will hurt economic growth and consumer spending, which may mean future growth is harder to come by. It also operates in a highly-competitive space, with plenty of other small brewers jostling for sales. BrewDog’s IPO will help enliven global stock markets, but it will remain a small player in a very big marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I'm going to expose myself here as a total mug who invested in this company.

Let my corpse be a warning to others, do not invest in Brewdog.

It'd be incredible if I can get out of this now if they do IPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Umaro wrote: »
    I'm going to expose myself here as a total mug who invested in this company.

Let my corpse be a warning to others, do not invest in Brewdog.

It'd be incredible if I can get out of this now if they do IPO.

How much did you lose? I'm curious what they are doing, I think all these invest and we will give you prizes are dodgy.

Have to say the 5% / 10% off is the most amusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Was my first investment of sorts back in 2015.

4 shares for £190.
    Now have 40 shares following a split in 2017. Depending on where you read, shares are worth £12-25 now.
    TSG paid £15 per share in 2017, which is the last market price available (discounting BD's current pricing).

With the 10% discount I've made my money back from them anyway :D

Didn't have a clue what I was doing at the time and definitely wouldn't put money into the current EFP schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

cronos wrote: »
    How much did you lose? I'm curious what they are doing, I think all these invest and we will give you prizes are dodgy.

It's clever. They obviously still make a profit after the 5/10% discount and are adding loyal customers.

Ha, I don't remember starting this thread.

As it happens, I bought 4 shares back then so now own 220. Reading the BrewDog forum it seems that these have a replacement value of £5.5k.

Aside from that, I've gotten free pints at a few beer festivals, a shed load of free pints at the AGM and have been using my discount anytime I'm over at their pubs in the UK. All in all, I've definitely made my money back but I'd also not invest in the current share offerings (unless I lived near one of their pubs).

I'll update here when I sell the shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I haven't had a chance to sell so haven't lost anything (yet).

The shares I bought were £23.75 each in 2018.

As another poster stated the value of the shares might range £12-£25 but I would really expect them to drop to £10 at IPO as everyone who owns shares with them will look to sell.

They made the ownership and trading of shares very difficult to exit from by only having 1 share trading day per year, that you had to register in advance for. Then in 2020 there was no trading day at all, so there'll be a build-up of people keen to exit at the IPO and I just can't see the outside demand being there to buy them at anything £10+.

There's a lad on the BrewDog forum who facilitates share sales at any time you want. Price varies depending on what the buyer wants to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

dinneenp wrote: »
    It's clever. They obviously still make a profit after the 5/10% discount and are adding loyal customers.

It's clever if people fall for it for sure.

For me it puts me off. I don't buy apple shares for 5% off an iphone, give me a dividend.

It's clever if people fall for it for sure.

For me it puts me off. I don't buy apple shares for 5% off an iphone, give me a dividend.

Apples and oranges, you don't buy several pints of iphone every weekend.

Advertisement